IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53567681

great to see idiots be punished but I’m a little concerned about censorship of any kind. Might open a poll to see how people feel about the social media efforts. 

I thought you would have been an advocate of censorship, I say this only because you have threatened censorship on here in the past. I’m in favour of censorship especially when it comes to groups like I.S. 
Social media sites have shirked their responsibilities for some disturbing posts and images for far too long in my opinion, and it’s terrifying when you consider what impressionable people are being hit with, and our children and grandchildren are being desensitised to things we cannot truly imagine. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53567681

great to see idiots be punished but I’m a little concerned about censorship of any kind. Might open a poll to see how people feel about the social media efforts. 

All for censorship, the twisted version of freedom in America where racism sexism etc are allowed due to “freedom” is stupid and something I don’t support.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I thought you would have been an advocate of censorship, I say this only because you have threatened censorship on here in the past. I’m in favour of censorship especially when it comes to groups like I.S. 
Social media sites have shirked their responsibilities for some disturbing posts and images for far too long in my opinion, and it’s terrifying when you consider what impressionable people are being hit with, and our children and grandchildren are being desensitised to things we cannot truly imagine. 

I hate censorship, but I get why you think that. In that sense, I recognize my hypocrisy. But there's a role to play with being a mod. I will try and respond properly when I've more time

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

I hate censorship, but I get why you think that. In that sense, I recognize my hypocrisy. But there's a role to play with being a mod. I will try and respond properly when I've more time

I get what you’re saying and I do agree with free speech, but and this I know is a bit rich coming from me, but free speech has to come with acceptable boundaries, and social media sites never set boundaries and allowed anything and everything.

So please don’t take my comments as a dig at you, but I genuinely had you down as someone who believed in censorship regardless of whether it’s right or wrong. 
It would be interesting to open the Poll you mentioned to see what the general feeling is with social media censorship. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I get what you’re saying and I do agree with free speech, but and this I know is a bit rich coming from me, but free speech has to come with acceptable boundaries, and social media sites never set boundaries and allowed anything and everything.

So please don’t take my comments as a dig at you, but I genuinely had you down as someone who believed in censorship regardless of whether it’s right or wrong. 
It would be interesting to open the Poll you mentioned to see what the general feeling is with social media censorship. 

I think the lines are too blurred Palf; plainly some stuff should be off limits but who draws the line? Poll with two options would be daft and one with fifteen probably wouldn't be enough. The leader of the free World shouldn't be mocking women/people with disabilities/anyone who doesn't worship him but if these opinions weren't in the public domain we wouldn't know the sort of person he is.....and we need to.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

. The leader of the free World shouldn't be mocking women/people with disabilities/anyone who doesn't worship him but if these opinions weren't in the public domain we wouldn't know the sort of person he is.....and we need to.

That is a very good point and one I’m struggling to argue with, but possibly if his words were censored he may not have been such a draw to so many Americans, and therefore may not have been elected as President. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

That is a very good point and one I’m struggling to argue with, but possibly if his words were censored he may not have been such a draw to so many Americans, and therefore may not have been elected as President. 

Just goes to show more than half the people, well of those that vote, are scum. Same goes for the UK. 

It's hard to realise just how racist, homophobic or selfish the average person is when you're not like them and surround yourself by like minded people. 

12 hours ago, pete0 said:

Just goes to show more than half the people, well of those that vote, are scum.

He actually only got 46.1% of the popular vote so less than half. Johnson got less, 43.6%.

Bit harsh to call them all scum, doubtless some are but a lot are just plain stupid. Stupid ≠ scum.

16 minutes ago, MikeO said:

He actually only got 46.1% of the popular vote so less than half. Johnson got less, 43.6%.

Bit harsh to call them all scum, doubtless some are but a lot are just plain stupid. Stupid ≠ scum.

When people are dying because of others stupidity I think it's fair to call them scum. Anyone over here who voted tory knew the consequences to the NHS, both Trump and Johnson are openly racist, fascist, or simply hateful. Anyone who voted for them would be aware of the things they've said, to then still support them goes beyond stupid. 

On 31/07/2020 at 10:21, Palfy said:

The desperation of a man who knows the end is near, how pitiful but lovely to see. 

The ironic thing is:

• If the November election is canceled or postponed, the President's term ends in January.
  • Next in line would be the Vice President, but his term also ends in January.
  • Next in line would be the Speaker of the House, but her term also ends in January.
  • Members of the House would elect a new Speaker, but all their terms end in January.
  • Next in line is the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, who today is Republican Chuck Grassley.
  • However, for one-third of Senators, their terms end in January.
  • A majority of those leaving are Republicans, and a majority of those remaining would be Democrats.
  • So, the Democratic President Pro Tempore, Patrick Leahy, would assume control and decide who becomes President.
  • And he would choose his party's presidential candidate: Joe Biden.

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The ironic thing is:

• If the November election is canceled or postponed, the President's term ends in January.
  • Next in line would be the Speaker of the House, but her term also ends in January.
  • Members of the House would elect a new Speaker, but all their terms end in January.
  • Next in line is the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, who today is Republican Chuck Grassley.
  • A majority of those leaving are Republicans, and a majority of those remaining would be Democrats.
  • So, the Democratic President Pro Tempore, Patrick Leahy, would assume control and decide who becomes President.

Did he not know this, or was he going to try and change the rules on everyone’s electoral terms, after all he believes he can do what he wants, so I would guess that that was his intention. 
The world is a crazy place at the moment made even crazier by Trump and Johnson, let’s hope that one five year reign is about to end very soon, for the sake of all even Trump supporters though they may not realise it. 

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

The ironic thing is:

Well now I’m desperate for it to be delayed!

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

Did he not know this, or was he going to try and change the rules on everyone’s electoral terms, after all he believes he can do what he wants, so I would guess that that was his intention. 
The world is a crazy place at the moment made even crazier by Trump and Johnson, let’s hope that one five year reign is about to end very soon, for the sake of all even Trump supporters though they may not realise it. 

There's no question that the man is ignorant of government processes. Today, for example, he claimed he would unilaterally reduce taxes on everyone, but he does not have that power. Before now, he threatened to pull funding to any schools that refuse to begin in-person classes for the coming term, but he doesn't have that power either. So, I doubt very much that he understands the chain of command so has no idea that delaying the election will bring to power his rival.

9 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

There's no question that the man is ignorant of government processes. Today, for example, he claimed he would unilaterally reduce taxes on everyone, but he does not have that power. Before now, he threatened to pull funding to any schools that refuse to begin in-person classes for the coming term, but he doesn't have that power either. So, I doubt very much that he understands the chain of command so has no idea that delaying the election will bring to power his rival.

Agreed he is just full of bluster and has to be the center of attention and “win” all the time so he just makes up stupid stuff constantly.

41 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Kamala Harris a good choice for VP by Biden?

yes from me.  she was the best possible option in my opinion.  she was a lawyer and attorney general in california, she's very smart and has been a strong senator.  something very unique is when obama won the first time he had 4 years of experience at the senate, was black and on the bill with Biden.  Harris has 4 years of senate experience, is black, and is on the ticket with biden.  interesting kinda thing there.  Biden has called himself "a transitional candidate" meaning he knows he could die in office and that his VP would have to be someone strong who people are confident in running the country (biden is 77 years old, Harris 55, Trump is 74).  Harris is relatively young, and looks to be in good health.  

The issue will be whether she is able to mobilize the minority vote.  She is black, her parents are Jamaican and Indian, but some americans (not me) don't consider her black because she's not of african or african american descent and looks more indian.  that makes no sense but this is a country that voted in trump so go figure.

14 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

The issue will be whether she is able to mobilize the minority vote.  She is black, her parents are Jamaican and Indian, but some americans (not me) don't consider her black because she's not of african or african american descent and looks more indian.  that makes no sense but this is a country that voted in trump so go figure.

Racism is a crazy thing isn't it.

I think many of you might be interested in this, the newly posted Foreword to Michael Cohen’s book, Disloyal.  You may know that Cohen served for years as Trump’s “fixer.”  His book will provide bombshells.  Not that it will change the minds of the tens of millions of Trump fanatics, who will forgive Trump anything and everything.  It might, however, sway just a few of the so-called undecideds.

This is worth a few minutes of your time.

https://disloyalthebook.com/download-the-disloyal-foreword-written-by-michael-cohen/

1 hour ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I think many of you might be interested in this, the newly posted Foreword to Michael Cohen’s book, Disloyal.  You may know that Cohen served for years as Trump’s “fixer.”  His book will provide bombshells.  Not that it will change the minds of the tens of millions of Trump fanatics, who will forgive Trump anything and everything.  It might, however, sway just a few of the so-called undecideds.

This is worth a few minutes of your time.

https://disloyalthebook.com/download-the-disloyal-foreword-written-by-michael-cohen/

i didn't know that was coming out soon.  it will be a bombshell.  but everything you said about his supporters is spot on.  they have drunk the kool-aid, no stopping them now.