IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

A friend who's trying to setup his own journalism company (with a twist - everyone contributes! www.actualnews.com), just summarized the first few days of DTs reign:

Just wait & see, they said; give him a chance, they said...

For those finding it difficult to keep up - here's a run down of the week so far
To recap:
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the DOJ’s Violence Against Women programs.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Arts.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Humanities.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Minority Business Development Agency.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Economic Development Administration.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the International Trade Administration.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Legal Services Corporation.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Environmental and Natural Resources Division of the DOJ.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Electricity Deliverability and Energy Reliability.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.
* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Fossil Energy.
* On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered all regulatory powers of all federal agencies frozen.
* On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered the National Parks Service to stop using social media after RTing factual, side by side photos of the crowds for the 2009 and 2017 inaugurations.
* On January 20th, 2017, roughly 230 protestors were arrested in DC and face unprecedented felony riot charges. Among them were legal observers, journalists, and medics.
* On January 20th, 2017, a member of the International Workers of the World was shot in the stomach at an anti-fascist protest in Seattle. He remains in critical condition.
* On January 21st, 2017, DT brought a group of 40 cheerleaders to a meeting with the CIA to cheer for him during a speech that consisted almost entirely of framing himself as the victim of dishonest press.
* On January 21st, 2017, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer held a press conference largely to attack the press for accurately reporting the size of attendance at the inaugural festivities, saying that the inauguration had the largest audience of any in history, “period.”
* On January 22nd, 2017, White House advisor Kellyann Conway defended Spicer’s lies as “alternative facts” on national television news.
* On January 22nd, 2017, DT appeared to blow a kiss to director James Comey during a meeting with the FBI, and then opened his arms in a gesture of strange, paternal affection, before hugging him with a pat on the back.
* On January 23rd, 2017, DT reinstated the global gag order, which defunds international organizations that even mention abortion as a medical option.
* On January 23rd, 2017, Spicer said that the US will not tolerate China’s expansion onto islands in the South China Sea, essentially threatening war with China.
* On January 23rd, 2017, DT repeated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing him the popular vote.
* On January 23rd, 2017, it was announced that the man who shot the anti-fascist protester in Seattle was released without charges, despite turning himself in.
* On January 24th, 2017, Spicer reiterated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing DT the popular vote.
* On January 24th, 2017, DT tweeted a picture from his personal Twitter account of a photo he says depicts the crowd at his inauguration and will hang in the White House press room. The photo is curiously dated January 21st, 2017, the day AFTER the inauguration and the day of the Women’s March, the largest inauguration related protest in history.
* On January 24th, 2017, the EPA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to freeze all grants and contracts.
* On January 24th, 2017, the USDA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to stop publishing any papers or research. All communication with the press would also have to be authorized and vetted by the White House.
* On January 24th, 2017, HR7, a bill that would prohibit federal funding not only to abortion service providers, but to any insurance coverage, including Medicaid, that provides abortion coverage, went to the floor of the House for a vote.
* On January 24th, 2017, Director of the Department of Health and Human Service nominee Tom Price characterized federal guidelines on transgender equality as “absurd.”
* On January 24th, 2017, DT ordered the resumption of construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline, while the North Dakota state congress considers a bill that would legalize hitting and killing protestors with cars if they are on roadways.
* On January 24th, 2017, it was discovered that police officers had used confiscated cell phones to search the emails and messages of the 230 demonstrators now facing felony riot charges for protesting on January 20th, including lawyers and journalists whose email accounts contain privileged information of clients and sources.
And today: the wall and a ban on Muslims entering from a large number of countries and the end to accepting Syrian refugees

A friend who's trying to setup his own journalism company (with a twist - everyone contributes! www.actualnews.com), just summarized the first few days of DTs reign:

Just wait & see, they said; give him a chance, they said...

For those finding it difficult to keep up - here's a run down of the week so far

To recap:

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the DOJ’s Violence Against Women programs.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Arts.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the National Endowment for the Humanities.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Minority Business Development Agency.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Economic Development Administration.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the International Trade Administration.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Legal Services Corporation.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Environmental and Natural Resources Division of the DOJ.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Electricity Deliverability and Energy Reliability.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.

* On January 19th, 2017, DT said that he would cut funding for the Office of Fossil Energy.

* On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered all regulatory powers of all federal agencies frozen.

* On January 20th, 2017, DT ordered the National Parks Service to stop using social media after RTing factual, side by side photos of the crowds for the 2009 and 2017 inaugurations.

* On January 20th, 2017, roughly 230 protestors were arrested in DC and face unprecedented felony riot charges. Among them were legal observers, journalists, and medics.

* On January 20th, 2017, a member of the International Workers of the World was shot in the stomach at an anti-fascist protest in Seattle. He remains in critical condition.

* On January 21st, 2017, DT brought a group of 40 cheerleaders to a meeting with the CIA to cheer for him during a speech that consisted almost entirely of framing himself as the victim of dishonest press.

* On January 21st, 2017, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer held a press conference largely to attack the press for accurately reporting the size of attendance at the inaugural festivities, saying that the inauguration had the largest audience of any in history, “period.”

* On January 22nd, 2017, White House advisor Kellyann Conway defended Spicer’s lies as “alternative facts” on national television news.

* On January 22nd, 2017, DT appeared to blow a kiss to director James Comey during a meeting with the FBI, and then opened his arms in a gesture of strange, paternal affection, before hugging him with a pat on the back.

* On January 23rd, 2017, DT reinstated the global gag order, which defunds international organizations that even mention abortion as a medical option.

* On January 23rd, 2017, Spicer said that the US will not tolerate China’s expansion onto islands in the South China Sea, essentially threatening war with China.

* On January 23rd, 2017, DT repeated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing him the popular vote.

* On January 23rd, 2017, it was announced that the man who shot the anti-fascist protester in Seattle was released without charges, despite turning himself in.

* On January 24th, 2017, Spicer reiterated the lie that 3-5 million people voted “illegally” thus costing DT the popular vote.

* On January 24th, 2017, DT tweeted a picture from his personal Twitter account of a photo he says depicts the crowd at his inauguration and will hang in the White House press room. The photo is curiously dated January 21st, 2017, the day AFTER the inauguration and the day of the Women’s March, the largest inauguration related protest in history.

* On January 24th, 2017, the EPA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to freeze all grants and contracts.

* On January 24th, 2017, the USDA was ordered to stop communicating with the public through social media or the press and to stop publishing any papers or research. All communication with the press would also have to be authorized and vetted by the White House.

* On January 24th, 2017, HR7, a bill that would prohibit federal funding not only to abortion service providers, but to any insurance coverage, including Medicaid, that provides abortion coverage, went to the floor of the House for a vote.

* On January 24th, 2017, Director of the Department of Health and Human Service nominee Tom Price characterized federal guidelines on transgender equality as “absurd.”

* On January 24th, 2017, DT ordered the resumption of construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline, while the North Dakota state congress considers a bill that would legalize hitting and killing protestors with cars if they are on roadways.

* On January 24th, 2017, it was discovered that police officers had used confiscated cell phones to search the emails and messages of the 230 demonstrators now facing felony riot charges for protesting on January 20th, including lawyers and journalists whose email accounts contain privileged information of clients and sources.

And today: the wall and a ban on Muslims entering from a large number of countries and the end to accepting Syrian refugees

Jesus wept.

But the point in bold does look to be the date the photograph was printed and framed.

Edit - Just seen these to.

I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states, those who are illegal and....even, those registered to vote who are dead (and many for a long time). Depending on results, we will strengthen up voting procedures!

Desperate.

Edited by Lowensda

I'm asking for your help with a petition to the UK government. Would you please consider being one of the five required sponsors? I'd also be grateful if you would distribute this petition to as many people as you feel comfortable doing. Thank you.

One of the executive orders signed by President Trump is that crimes committed by British citizens (and citizens of all other foreign countries) living legally (or illegally) in the United States be published weekly. An important principle of international diplomacy is that of reciprocity. This petition requests the British government to publish weekly a list of crimes committed by American citizens living legally (or illegally) in Britain.

Personally, when it comes to potential despots, I believe it's important to challenge their edicts right from the beginning, and this would seem to me to be a very fair and equitable way to do that.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178563/sponsors/6KWoOXUDdZ2W1YvccSrL

Edited by Cornish Steve

Alright a 20% tax on everything imported from Mexico DOESN'T MEAN MEXICO WILL PAY FOR THE WALL.

The 20% will be paid by the people who buy stuff that's 'made in Mexico', namely the poorer US citizens, or as Trump likes to call them the Forgotten who from now on will no longer be forgotten.

They will no longer be forgotten, they will be taxed.

I'm asking for your help with a petition to the UK government. Would you please consider being one of the five required sponsors? I'd also be grateful if you would distribute this petition to as many people as you feel comfortable doing. Thank you.

One of the executive orders signed by President Trump is that crimes committed by British citizens (and citizens of all other foreign countries) living legally (or illegally) in the United States be published weekly. An important principle of international diplomacy is that of reciprocity. This petition requests the British government to publish weekly a list of crimes committed by American citizens living legally (or illegally) in Britain.

Personally, when it comes to potential despots, I believe it's important to challenge their edicts right from the beginning, and this would seem to me to be a very fair and equitable way to do that.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178563/sponsors/6KWoOXUDdZ2W1YvccSrL

Sorry, Steve, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Sorry, Steve, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I can understand your sentiment, Matt, but the British government needs to stand against intimidation of its citizens. If my wife is stopped for speeding, for example, and her name and address appear on a list, she will be very concerned for her personal safety. It's intimidation pure and simple, and it's important to stand up against despots. My grandfather had to change his name in the 1930s because of nazi sympathizers in Britain; I shall do what I can to prevent history repeating itself. If we refuse to learn the lessons of history, we're destined to repeat it.

I can understand your sentiment, Matt, but the British government needs to stand against intimidation of its citizens. If my wife is stopped for speeding, for example, and her name and address appear on a list, she will be very concerned for her personal safety. It's intimidation pure and simple, and it's important to stand up against despots. My grandfather had to change his name in the 1930s because of nazi sympathizers in Britain; I shall do what I can to prevent history repeating itself. If we refuse to learn the lessons of history, we're destined to repeat it.

But the principle of your petition doesn't do anything to protect your wife? I don't agree with publishing names at all, and hopefully Trump's will be struck down after the mandatory judicial review.

But the principle of your petition doesn't do anything to protect your wife? I don't agree with publishing names at all, and hopefully Trump's will be struck down after the mandatory judicial review.

I suspect there would be uproar (rightfully so) if Britain treated American citizens in this way. All of a sudden, something that may be ignored because it doesn't affect the majority would become a very real issue and a personal affront.

I'm open to other ideas for how to stop blatant intimidation like this. The best way I could think of was to return the favour, if you will. For sure, I'm not going to sit back and do nothing. Re the legality of his order, I suspect it applies to legal residents as well as illegal, to Brits as well as Mexicans, because anything else would be obvious discrimination.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Here is what I don't understand. Why is it when the democrats have the votes to pass legislation without republican support, it's because they have a mandate and the republicans are being childish by trying to block legislation. But when then republicans have the votes to do the same, it's draconian and the democrates trying to block the legistaltion is patriotic and a moral high ground? It's either both or neither, but it can't be both.

Here is the biggest issue (to me), our congress doesn't govern moderately. With few exceptions, the democrats in congress vote and support issues too far left of center. And the republicans in congress vote and support issues too far right of center. And most of those in the senate likely won their elections by 20%, the house by 35% - and that is number is falsely inflated because many incumbents run unopposed or basically unopposed. When there is an open seat for whatever reason, they tend to be much closer. My point is when they get to DC, they tend to go way left or way right. That's ignoring 30-40% of their constituents off the bat. And the 51-70% majority that did vote them in, probably are not all far left or right ideologues. They end up representing the wishes of the national party, vs the majority of their constituents the were elected to speak for. That's not a good scenario.

Most Americans are generally moderate in their day to day lives, in my opinion. Lean left on some issues, right on others. But when it gets to the national level it becomes a black and white hypocritical clusterfuck with little tolerance. Due in no small part because it's profitable for organizations to create divisions for their own self-interest at the expense of the publics. And that's bullshit.

Here is what I don't understand. Why is it when the democrats have the votes to pass legislation without republican support, it's because they have a mandate and the republicans are being childish by trying to block legislation. But when then republicans have the votes to do the same, it's draconian and the democrates trying to block the legistaltion is patriotic and a moral high ground? It's either both or neither, but it can't be both.

Here is the biggest issue (to me), our congress doesn't govern moderately. With few exceptions, the democrats in congress vote and support issues too far left of center. And the republicans in congress vote and support issues too far right of center. And most of those in the senate likely won their elections by 20%, the house by 35% - and that is number is falsely inflated because many incumbents run unopposed or basically unopposed. When there is an open seat for whatever reason, they tend to be much closer. My point is when they get to DC, they tend to go way left or way right. That's ignoring 30-40% of their constituents off the bat. And the 51-70% majority that did vote them in, probably are not all far left or right ideologues. They end up representing the wishes of the national party, vs the majority of their constituents the were elected to speak for. That's not a good scenario.

Most Americans are generally moderate in their day to day lives, in my opinion. Lean left on some issues, right on others. But when it gets to the national level it becomes a black and white hypocritical clusterfuck with little tolerance. Due in no small part because it's profitable for organizations to create divisions for their own self-interest at the expense of the publics. And that's bullshit.

The part in bold exactly.

The part you're missing is that Hillary Clintons campaign promises were the exact same positions as Ronald Reagan, a republican president. my point is the country has gone far right, so your comments about democrats being "far left" is way off base. the only real left people are Sanders and Warren and even they are just in the mold of FDR (a liberal democrat). There are no real left wing socialist candidates (much to my disdain). Obama is a moderate, back in the 60's -90's he'd be a republican. The tea party and religious right hi-jacked the republicans and made them a party of social issues instead of just worrying about the government, foreign policy, economy, and states.

I agree they need to work together, but the country is moving to the right not left.

(War and Peace incoming)

1. I disagree the HRC's platform/promises were the exact same as Ronald Regan's. Besides some common sense points they may have shared, their driving ideology and method of getting there are polar opposites IMO. That being said, I'm open to being enlightened on that if I'm misinformed - seriously.

2. I did not say democrats were in and of themselves far left. I said the on the national level, the dems go left, the gop go right. It's a relative term - but they go to opposite sides and work against each other on their behalf, instead of together. The left thinks the GOP has gone way right, the right thinks the dems have gone way left. The truth is somewhere in between, but the distance between the parties, nationally, remains about the same to me.

3. You can't say the tea party/religious right hi-jacked the party with out a point of reference. From when - the GOP of the 70's? 90's? Did they "pull" the GOP back to it's roots, or did they "push" it away from it's roots? It depends on your perspective - and I honestly can't tell you which is correct. I will concede that the religious right has a tremendous voice within the GOP, and has for the last 30-40 years, for better and worse.

I'd generally agree with you about BHO being moderate, and maybe in the other party at a different time. Ditto for Trump, he's a lot more Bill Clinton than Bush philosophically. Obama further left than Bill Clinton, Reagan more right than Bush Sr etc but all basically "moderate".Those on the far left or right don't survive their party primaries because they can't get the nomination without working the factions in their own party. And they have to work with an opposition party to some degree, once they are elected. Look no further than Sanders. He was the furthest from center (not saying that as a positive or negative) that almost won his party's nomination in...a long time. And it appears his own party machine may have undermined his chances. Trump had the same problems - he is pro gay marriage/rights and wants to build infrastructure of the inner cities, which upset a lot of the Good Ole Boy wing - because that's dem territory. He did NOT have the support of the RNC until it became obvious that the base was overwhelmingly rejecting the RNC's preferences. The RNC is still pissed.

And politics makes us assholes. In our personal lives, we try to find common interests. This board is an example. We have a common denominator - EFC - and then we find other stuff that interests us or to discuss. Same way with friends, co-workers, stranger at the airport, at a pub or such. Yeah, we know we are different, but we seek to find other things in common with people because it makes life more tolerable and enjoyable. Think how many things you and best friend really don't agree on - but you're friends in spite of that, because of the things you DO have in common.

But when it comes to politics, more and more, we seek to find the things we disagree about, and then with a broad brush paint those people's ideas and opinions on everything else as "unworthy". That's so back-asswards, from day to day life.

1. Reagan was pro immigration and amnesty, he raised taxes 10 times as president and many times as governor of California, increased social security tax rate, passed a higher gasoline tax, raised the debt celing 18 times, was for gays and lesbians being allowed to teach in schools, he called on Israel to freeze settlements and place their nukes under international supervision (current repubs want Israel to do whatever they want, settle as much as they want), Lastly he was for gun reform, assault rifle ban, and more background checks. These are all considered liberal policies now and they grilled Hillary on them.

2. yeah relative means nothing, go historical. everyone is going further right and that's a fact not alternative fact, a real one, see above and read up on current repubs saying the same. Huckabee said Reagan wouldn't make ti through the RNC primaries, too liberal compared today, same with some other senators congress people. He's just a tag line for old folks to vote on (I remember the Ronnie days, long live repubs!! but they forgot about all the stuff above).

I do agree they need to work together, Clinton worked with the republican congress in the 90's. It pisses me off too.

3. it started in the 50's, check out the book "One Nation Under God: How corporate America invented Christian America" by Kevin Kruse (Princeton History Professor) which does a great job showing how the religious right and corporations teamed up to get God all over everything and turned religious voters into value voters that are easily swayed by abortion and things of that nature.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Finally someone talks some sense...president of Turkey! May already a Trump apologist, shameful.

Asked about Mr Trump's changes to immigration policy, Mr Yildirim said the only way to tackle the refugee crisis was to deal with the reasons people were fleeing.
He said: "You cannot solve this issue of refugees by putting up walls. You have to eradicate the root causes of this. You have to eradicate the regional discrepancies in terms of development."

Tempest in a teapot.

The only deportations will be the illegals who are in jail/prison for committing additional crimes. Not speeding, parking tickets...but crimes. By the way, that's an existing law.

Some one comes into the country illegally, commits a crime say rape, murder, breaking and entering, we are going to put them in prison for 5 years, 10 years, life...pay for their medical care, feed them house them...when they aren't even a citizen and shouldn't be here? Fuck that, send them home.

Dropping the racism card is a straw man, and is crap. All the screaming hysterics marching and protests about this racism is manufactured. There aren't in mass deportations aren't coming, there won't be Mexican restaurants closing left and right. But no one is going to march in protest of the reality, but by drop the racism card and Nazi references and the sheep will follow. If the policy was really to start loading up ships and planes and kicking everyone out, yeah I'd have a real problem with that too. But that's not what's happening, hasn't been proposed, and no order has been signed to do such.

I do have some concerns and worries about Trump and how he is going to do things. But this I have no problem with. Nor do I have problem with made up stuff contributed to him. If people want to march because they hate Trump, nothing wrong with that. But at least be honest.

Remember when Obama gave free cell phones and service to blacks on welfare? Remember how upset people were about that? Yeah that didn't happen either, but people who hated Obama were just looking for a reason to bitch, even if they had distort the truth to whip the sycophants up into a lather.

Finally someone talks some sense...president of Turkey! May already a Trump apologist, shameful.

Asked about Mr Trump's changes to immigration policy, Mr Yildirim said the only way to tackle the refugee crisis was to deal with the reasons people were fleeing.
He said: "You cannot solve this issue of refugees by putting up walls. You have to eradicate the root causes of this. You have to eradicate the regional discrepancies in terms of development."

I don't disagree with that at all. Stopping the immigration so it can be managed is more of a security issue - but I has no effect on stemming the flow. That's a much larger problem that all of the West is trying to figure out. The simple answer is "make it so they don't want to leave their home" but with the chaos and state of those countries right now, we are talking a long process for sure :(

Tempest in a teapot.

The only deportations will be the illegals who are in jail/prison for committing additional crimes. Not speeding, parking tickets...but crimes. By the way, that's an existing law.

Some one comes into the country illegally, commits a crime say rape, murder, breaking and entering, we are going to put them in prison for 5 years, 10 years, life...pay for their medical care, feed them house them...when they aren't even a citizen and shouldn't be here? Fuck that, send them home.

Dropping the racism card is a straw man, and is crap. All the screaming hysterics marching and protests about this racism is manufactured. There aren't in mass deportations aren't coming, there won't be Mexican restaurants closing left and right. But no one is going to march in protest of the reality, but by drop the racism card and Nazi references and the sheep will follow. If the policy was really to start loading up ships and planes and kicking everyone out, yeah I'd have a real problem with that too. But that's not what's happening, hasn't been proposed, and no order has been signed to do such.

I do have some concerns and worries about Trump and how he is going to do things. But this I have no problem with. Nor do I have problem with made up stuff contributed to him. If people want to march because they hate Trump, nothing wrong with that. But at least be honest.

Remember when Obama gave free cell phones and service to blacks on welfare? Remember how upset people were about that? Yeah that didn't happen either, but people who hated Obama were just looking for a reason to bitch, even if they had distort the truth to whip the sycophants up into a lather.

Or those who take months to do it the right way.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/28/us/syrian-family-trump-travel-ban/index.html