IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

20 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Let me just say that I don't sense at all any less commitment and devotion to the president from his supporters, none at all. If anything, I would say their support is stronger today than it was at the outset, which is quite terrifying.

It’s brilliant tactics. He took a situation where the people were split, and preyed on it, polarizing people further. 

The only hope is that the electoral college gets a rework and actually does their job, else we end up with another 4 years of this shit. 

There is a chance also that Trump doesn’t want to run. But that has its own dangers. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

It’s brilliant tactics. He took a situation where the people were split, and preyed on it, polarizing people further. 

The only hope is that the electoral college gets a rework and actually does their job, else we end up with another 4 years of this shit. 

There is a chance also that Trump doesn’t want to run. But that has its own dangers. 

The republicans they would put up won’t grab the middle class blue collars guys trump did.  He won that on the anti immigrant nationalist and tariff war comments.  Baby boomers are dying every day and gen Z are qualifying to vote every day.  I think a Mike pence for example would have a very rough go of it.  I would love if he doesn’t run.  Honestly that would be the smart thing, to think if he lost the amount of bullshit and lies he will spew could reach record levels.  Which is saying something.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I would say the bigger danger is whether an opponent will be allowed to win. Emergency powers will still be in place by then and possibly expanded. Moreover, his supporters would believe his claims that the election was rigged. Of course, we assume a peaceful and orderly transfer of power, but we can longer assume that, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sibdane said:

Well, there were no bombshells in the Mueller report. I think there's no catching Trump now. I have a feeling he'll win again in 2020.

Would any "bombshells" have made a blind bit of difference? He's had bombs going off all around him for three years and his supporters don't seem to remotely care. He's bomb proof.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Would any "bombshells" have made a blind bit of difference? He's had bombs going off all around him for three years and his supporters don't seem to remotely care. He's bomb proof.

Well, what people were hoping for was a definitive "yes, there is proof of collusion and obstruction." Mueller couldn't recommend taking it further and then Barr, the AG, said that there wouldn't be enough proof to hold up any accusations going forward. Still remains to be seen what is actually in the report, and I imagine the Congress will try to gain access to it for further review.

16 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Well, what people were hoping for was a definitive "yes, there is proof of collusion and obstruction." Mueller couldn't recommend taking it further and then Barr, the AG, said that there wouldn't be enough proof to hold up any accusations going forward. Still remains to be seen what is actually in the report, and I imagine the Congress will try to gain access to it for further review.

He’s been cleared of collusion but not obstruction from what i read

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

He’s been cleared of collusion but not obstruction from what i read

Right, but that still doesn't prove anything (as much as it appears obvious). Like MJB said above, he's not exonerated, but that doesn't mean that anything what he's accused of can be proven. I don't think anything will come of it. I really don't. I wish something would come out, but I've lost hope at this point.

It doesn't matter that "does not exonerate him" is in the memo, Trump's side has come out on top for now.

10 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Right, but that still doesn't prove anything (as much as it appears obvious). Like MJB said above, he's not exonerated, but that doesn't mean that anything what he's accused of can be proven. I don't think anything will come of it. I really don't. I wish something would come out, but I've lost hope at this point.

It doesn't matter that "does not exonerate him" is in the memo, Trump's side has come out on top for now.

agreed, big letdown.  5 people from his campaign/associates are going to jail, 199 criminal counts.  that has to count for something.  but it won't for Trumpians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Absolutely tragic!

Does this kind of thing make it into the American press? Surely his supporters aren’t ok with this?

his supporters love it.  right winger are anti-abortion and mostly very conservative Christians who believe it is immoral and a sin.  they will all be behind this.  honestly this is not surprising in the least, the party was hijacked by the religious right with Reagan and the Bushes as well.  How do you think he gets so many old white people to vote for him?  He does the whole anti-abortion line and church folks line up to vote because that's the only thing they care about.  it's sad.  i say this because my parents are those people.  Trump loves the evanglical voters because he realizes they are so easy to win over, most republicans in office do.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/02/719585295/florida-approves-bill-allowing-classroom-teachers-to-be-armed

Florida passes law allowing teachers to carry guns to protect themselves.  This is how fucked up this country is.  Rambo is your math teacher

I wonder how many ‘accidental’ shootings there’ll be where teachers think a student (probably black) has a gun and is a threat. When in reality there is no weapon. 

On 02/05/2019 at 20:20, Romey 1878 said:

I wonder how many ‘accidental’ shootings there’ll be where teachers think a student (probably black) has a gun and is a threat. When in reality there is no weapon. 

Or when an angry kid gets hold of that gun because he doesn’t fancy doing homework. Way too many risks for that. If I had a kid in school in Florida I’d be looking to leave the state. I have cousins with kids in Florida, all a bit scary. 

15 hours ago, StevO said:

Or when an angry kid gets hold of that gun because he doesn’t fancy doing homework. Way too many risks for that. If I had a kid in school in Florida I’d be looking to leave the state. I have cousins with kids in Florida, all a bit scary. 

I’ve got friends in Orlando (one is a counsellor who was a first responder at the gay bar shooting a few years ago), and they both carry all the time. He says he has to because of his line of work, I said I’d just move somewhere safer. There was an awkward silence!  

This development is truly terrifying and I’m very worried about them and my niece. Unfortunately, my mate might get a lot more business :( 

On 04/05/2019 at 16:12, Matt said:

I’ve got friends in Orlando (one is a counsellor who was a first responder at the gay bar shooting a few years ago), and they both carry all the time. He says he has to because of his line of work, I said I’d just move somewhere safer. There was an awkward silence!  

This development is truly terrifying and I’m very worried about them and my niece. Unfortunately, my mate might get a lot more business :( 

It’s scary times over there mate, my cousin carries in her hand bag “because you never know who else has got one”. 

I love that country but it’s just got so many problems, they just don’t seem to fix them. 

I watched Knock Down The House on Netflix last night, I hope more of this new breed of politicians can make progress instead of the old boys club running the country at the moment. 

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Trump announced that he's putting up to 25% tariffs starting June 10th in order to make Mexico try and keep their citizens from migrating.

He's really going to ruin the markets.

And he's the guy the Brexit bunch are relying on to give us a better deal than the EU. 

14 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Trump announced that he's putting up to 25% tariffs starting June 10th in order to make Mexico try and keep their citizens from migrating.

He's really going to ruin the markets.

It’s absolutely baffling. The problem with illegal immigration is that it’s illegal and people illegally immigrating pay no attention to the laws. What fucking difference is this actually going to make :doh: 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

It’s absolutely baffling. The problem with illegal immigration is that it’s illegal and people illegally immigrating pay no attention to the laws. What fucking difference is this actually going to make :doh: 

It won't change anything! He's doing it because he can't get his wall, and he knows his loyal followers will look at this as him fighting rather than him destroying.