IGNORED

US Politics/Biden Presidency (Trump-free zone)

johnh

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah he's a sick bastard, but those repubs are too, they are all for it. they think fucked up policies like this will deter people.  it's maniacal.

If that was happening in a third world country the U.N. would be calling it a humanitarian crisis and asking it's members to employ sanctions against them.

5 minutes ago, StevO said:

It’s still crazy to me how a country founded on immigration and the American dream can have such an issue with people from other places. 

bewilders me as well.  the argument the repubs use is they only want "the good immigrants", you know the doctors and lawyers and skilled laborers.  when my family came over here from slovakia they were dirt poor farmers, that did not even factor into the equation back then.  times change, this time for the worse.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

bewilders me as well.  the argument the repubs use is they only want "the good immigrants", you know the doctors and lawyers and skilled laborers.  when my family came over here from slovakia they were dirt poor farmers, that did not even factor into the equation back then.  times change, this time for the worse.

Exactly, people who didn’t have much from all over Europe moved there for the chance to make a better life. Why is that different today? Why can’t they go to America and then become doctors and lawyers? Or give education to Americans to be doctors and lawyers and maybe not to have them come from abroad? But education is a completely different issue. 

I have family in Florida and their in laws came from Holland, but these people don’t want others coming from other countries to get in. Unless they come from Europe, and only rich countries. Always leaves me feeling awkward at the end of the conversation. 

29 minutes ago, StevO said:

Exactly, people who didn’t have much from all over Europe moved there for the chance to make a better life. Why is that different today? Why can’t they go to America and then become doctors and lawyers? Or give education to Americans to be doctors and lawyers and maybe not to have them come from abroad? But education is a completely different issue. 

I have family in Florida and their in laws came from Holland, but these people don’t want others coming from other countries to get in. Unless they come from Europe, and only rich countries. Always leaves me feeling awkward at the end of the conversation. 

Not providing any support for bigotry or anti-immigration views, but with the growing wage gap, they were probably never going to become doctors and lawyers anyway.

13 hours ago, StevO said:

It’s not perfect, but for me it’s the single greatest thing we have in the UK. From being an employer on an absolutely huge scale, to the care given in often under funded environments (I don’t want to get political about that as I don’t think it will ever be an easy job to find a best way of finding more money) by dedicated people all over the country. I think any Brit should be proud of it, and hopefully most never will need it. Mike will know better than most after what he went through, public health care changes the life for so many. I can’t see why anyone wouldn’t want similar in their own countries. 

Couldn't agree more, Steve. I spent the best part of the first 5 years of my life in and out of hospital, getting cared for by the NHS, having my life literally saved by the doctors and nurses at Alder Hey hospital, and still relying on the NHS today for medication etc. 

Yeah, it's got it's problems and there are some nasty stories over the years, but it's a fantastic service and must be protected at all costs.

18 hours ago, johnh said:

If you go to see a consultant privately, you can't then have any subsequent connected procedures on the NHS, which I think is fair.

I'm not sure that is true John? Me and the Mrs are going through IVF treatment and we were actually recommended to go privately to start with because it would take a long time through the NHS (and time wasn't on our side). We have since identified the reasons why we have had problems and now we have NHS funding and are going through the treatment. We had a terrible experience with the NHS funding process because they lost our details 3 times, the consultant we went to see was over 30 minutes late, she didn't have a clue what was going on and even when we provided her with the paperwork including the letters from the private fertility clinic explaining everything she couldn't understand. We actually found out that they agreed to fund us because they lost our paperwork again after that meeting! The slightly strange thing with IVF is that you can then choose to get your treatment through a private provider so luckily now we can go through the same provider we went with whilst it is state funded. There are no queues, the equipment they have is far better and the service they provide is far superior to our visit with the NHS.

My professional and personal opinion of the NHS is that once your ailment has been identified they are very good. However if they don't know what the problem is, they aren't exactly proactive about clearly identifying the problem, and you can be passed from pillar to post without getting anywhere.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'm not sure that is true John? Me and the Mrs are going through IVF treatment and we were actually recommended to go privately to start with because it would take a long time through the NHS (and time wasn't on our side). We have since identified the reasons why we have had problems and now we have NHS funding and are going through the treatment. We had a terrible experience with the NHS funding process because they lost our details 3 times, the consultant we went to see was over 30 minutes late, she didn't have a clue what was going on and even when we provided her with the paperwork including the letters from the private fertility clinic explaining everything she couldn't understand. We actually found out that they agreed to fund us because they lost our paperwork again after that meeting! The slightly strange thing with IVF is that you can then choose to get your treatment through a private provider so luckily now we can go through the same provider we went with whilst it is state funded. There are no queues, the equipment they have is far better and the service they provide is far superior to our visit with the NHS.

My professional and personal opinion of the NHS is that once your ailment has been identified they are very good. However if they don't know what the problem is, they aren't exactly proactive about clearly identifying the problem, and you can be passed from pillar to post without getting anywhere.

I know it was 35 years ago, and the world has changed a lot, but the only reason I’m alive is because an NHS nurse came to our house after my initial visit saying she couldn’t shake the feeling that something was really wrong and that it wasn’t just a bad virus. 

2 days later I was operated on, half my large intestine cut out and was being treated for pneumonia as 4 month old. They were very proactive for me thankfully!

Mueller's team has come and made a rare statement disputing that Trump told Cohen to lie about his Russia deals. 

Like I said above, until some actual action happens I will not believe any news source. This is a big blow and just gives Trump supporters more reason to stick with him. Buzzfeed fucked up, and I'm not surprised. 

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

I know it was 35 years ago, and the world has changed a lot, but the only reason I’m alive is because an NHS nurse came to our house after my initial visit saying she couldn’t shake the feeling that something was really wrong and that it wasn’t just a bad virus. 

2 days later I was operated on, half my large intestine cut out and was being treated for pneumonia as 4 month old. They were very proactive for me thankfully!

Wow that's incredible! I think with most things private and public, its who you get that makes the difference.

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Bureaucracy cock-ups aside hope you and your wife get a successful outcome Bailey.

21 hours ago, Bailey said:

That’s great news Bailey that it was eventually resolved and your both one step closer to your dreams, good luck mate to a successful outcome   

Are our American friends seeing frailties in Trumps armour now the democrats are containing Trumps plans over the wall and his plea for a deal not working.

Does anyone think the more knock backs he gets the more reluctant he may become to do another term, he always strikes me as someone who has to have total control and not being able to railroad his policies through because his hands are tied will undoubtedly frustrate him.

🤔

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Are our American friends seeing frailties in Trumps armour now the democrats are containing Trumps plans over the wall and his plea for a deal not working.

Does anyone think the more knock backs he gets the more reluctant he may become to do another term, he always strikes me as someone who has to have total control and not being able to railroad his policies through because his hands are tied will undoubtedly frustrate him.

Palfy, can't agree with you there.  He may be a control freak but he is also as thick as two short planks.😁

9 hours ago, johnh said:

🤔

Palfy, can't agree with you there.  He may be a control freak but he is also as thick as two short planks.😁

He has an remarkable ability to find his opponents pressure points, despite what I think of him he completely destroyed his opponents in the primaries.

Meanwhile on the other side of the aisle, the wokeness begins:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/16/politics/beto-orourke-road-trip-2020-decision/index.html

14 hours ago, Palfy said:

Anything that doesn't go his way will only strengthen his delusions and make him more resistant to compromise in my opinion

6 hours ago, Chach said:

He has an remarkable ability to find his opponents pressure points, despite what I think of him he completely destroyed his opponents in the primaries.

Meanwhile on the other side of the aisle, the wokeness begins:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/16/politics/beto-orourke-road-trip-2020-decision/index.html

I saw where Kamala Harris just announced her decision to run today.