IGNORED

Are other cuisines as popular abroad as they are in the States?

In america i'd say the vast majority of people enjoy food that is not american. Cuisines from Japanese (sushi), Italian (classic and pizza), Mexican, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.

Do you non-americans enjoy/eat as much "foreign" food as we do? Or do you/your country prefer to mostly eat the local fare?

not sure if that makes sense or not, but i eat "american food" like burgers or something maybe once or twice a month. most of the food we eat is not american.

Hi Mark, in our house (British-Polish), we regularly eat Italian (classic and pizza), Sushi, Indian, in addition to British, American and Polish.

I will say though that we mostly eat in and prepare all food ourselves from scratch. We'll occasionally make Chinese or Thai dishes but our skills and knowledge are not so great in these cuisines.

When we go out though, we will try whatever we can. Last week we ate at a great Armenian restaurant.

"Indian" is huge over here (inverted commas because the vast majority of the restaurants are actually Bangladeshi) as is Chinese.

In my closest town (population about 8,500) there are two Indian places, one of which is superb, and three Chinese. Japanese you'll find in cities along with Mexican and Thai. There's a great Moroccan place in Exeter, not far from me, and pizza places are common. Turkish "kebab" is very popular also, got one of those a couple of miles away. Hate Thai myself, coconut in everything and I hate the stuff.....love it straight from the shell strangely but the flavour in cooking I despise.

Curry was my number one death row last meal dish until recent events, sadly I no longer get the same pleasure from it, though I can still tell a good one from a bad one.

Oh, and I love Greek food, but getting it authentic here is nigh on impossible.

Of what you have listed only Korean isn't popular, you'd only find the odd Korean bbq, but there is loads of Asian fusion so you can get some kimchi easily. Spanish is declining with pubs doing their own version with nicer version of tapas style bites with stuff like calamari or home made scotch eggs.

Italian used to be the trend, but now it's the hipster burger places and street food pop ups. That said Indian had probs stayed the most popular if you're going to a restaurant.Manchester has a road dubbed curry mile as there is that many Indians on it. Only food that you don't see every day is German, but we fill up on it during Christmas when we have The German markets.

Liverpool fish and chip shops all sell Chinese meals which is great. You can't beat chips, rice, Chinese curry sauce, and a sausage on your way home from the pub.

Edited by pete0

Curry houses, Chinese takeaways, Pizza parlours and bloody McDonalds. (KFC too)

I also think we eat so many alien sausages and euro beers.

So I am sure we can do without this foreign muck, please excuse me while I eat my schnitzel, bratwurst mit mayo und frites.

The world is now a small place and you can indulge in food from almost anywhere.

BUT I love chips with fruity curry sauce and a nice sausage all dripping with grease and wrapped in paper on a cold night.

Curry houses, Chinese takeaways, Pizza parlours and bloody McDonalds. (KFC too)

I also think we eat so many alien sausages and euro beers.

So I am sure we can do without this foreign muck, please excuse me while I eat my schnitzel, bratwurst mit mayo und frites.

The world is now a small place and you can indulge in food from almost anywhere.

BUT I love chips with fruity curry sauce and a nice sausage all dripping with grease and wrapped in paper on a cold night.

is the sausage in a bun or something? or you just eat a cooked sausage by itself? trying to figure out what the drunk eats are in most countries. i think the cooked tubular meat in bread (ie hot dog/frankfurter) is pretty common.

is the sausage in a bun or something? or you just eat a cooked sausage by itself? trying to figure out what the drunk eats are in most countries. i think the cooked tubular meat in bread (ie hot dog/frankfurter) is pretty common.

Sausage and chips in a paper wrap.

Drunks eat kebabs or pizza (and get a face full of hot melted cheese.)

No bun for the sausage, could be in batter though.

My mum cooked chips in lard, loved them. especially with a fried egg.

Plate of my mum's chips with runner beans from the garden; HP sauce on both, total heaven for me. Rest of the family had eggs with it but I'm not a fan.

You try to replicate; make your own chips, grow your own beans but it's never quite the same, just a teasing reminder.

Veering off MJB's original question here but there are so many things I'd love to have again from my childhood, kidney and sausage casserole mum used to make was superb; and home made battenberg cake. I could go on for a long time.

I'd say Chinese and Thai are the two favourites in our house but partial to a Indian or an Italian (food we're not swingers)

I love foreign food my only sumbling block with a lot of the choices is I've never tried fish and the thought of it knocks me sick so never had the likes of Sushi chippy fish ect although a good chippy can trump most other foods tbh

Edited by EFC-Paul

i've had scouse before many times but we didn't call it that. just called it beef stew but when i looked up scouse recipes online its the same thing. was a nice dish my mom made growing up.

My mum made it but when I do it it just ends up as stew, and nver tastes right. OK but not right.

by the way , there is not usually beef in a proper scouse it is lamb.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24961/proper-scouse.aspx

Edited by Rubecula

Of what you have listed only Korean isn't popular, you'd only find the odd Korean bbq, but there is loads of Asian fusion so you can get some kimchi easily. Spanish is declining with pubs doing their own version with nicer version of tapas style bites with stuff like calamari or home made scotch eggs.

Italian used to be the trend, but now it's the hipster burger places and street food pop ups. That said Indian had probs stayed the most popular if you're going to a restaurant.Manchester has a road dubbed curry mile as there is that many Indians on it. Only food that you don't see every day is German, but we fill up on it during Christmas when we have The German markets.

Liverpool fish and chip shops all sell Chinese meals which is great. You can't beat chips, rice, Chinese curry sauce, and a sausage on your way home from the pub.

Have been in liverpool for the last 3 weeks and have had Chips, curry and rice with a jumbo sausage about 10 times

Edited by bluehuddo

It should be made a criminal offence to eat chips with anything other than salt & vinegar.

Just got a takeaway and my wife had chips and curry sauce :P.

It was from a Chinese and I had a king prawn curry; there's something right about Chinese curries even though they're all wrong. Rice is always really stodgy as well but somehow it works.

Have been in liverpool for the last 3 weeks and have had Chips, curry and rice with a jumbo sausage about 10 times

Guessing you're from Liverpool as you know your scouse. Do you get many Chinese chip shops where you've moved to? I always get funny remarks in Manchester, took a while to find an Chinese chippy, nothing like the Lobster Pot in the town centre.

Guessing you're from Liverpool as you know your scouse. Do you get many Chinese chip shops where you've moved to? I always get funny remarks in Manchester, took a while to find an Chinese chippy, nothing like the Lobster Pot in the town centre.

I live in Australia now. There is nothing like a Liverpool chippy anywhere. My better half is fron South Korea and she couldn't believe about chips, curry and rice. Brought her over a couple of years ago and its now her favorite meal ☺ Had a big night in town the other night and got a couple of kebabs and some chips and curry from the lobster pot in town

I live in Australia now. There is nothing like a Liverpool chippy anywhere. My better half is fron South Korea and she couldn't believe about chips, curry and rice. Brought her over a couple of years ago and its now her favorite meal ☺ Had a big night in town the other night and got a couple of kebabs and some chips and curry from the lobster pot in town

I've only found one good one outside of Liverpool in England, feel for yer in Australia not having anything close. Surprised you managed to convert the wife, my gf moans that it's carbs and carbs. Enjoy your fill before the flights back.

I've only found one good one outside of Liverpool in England, feel for yer in Australia not having anything close. Surprised you managed to convert the wife, my gf moans that it's carbs and carbs. Enjoy your fill before the flights back.

Pete i know.. unfortunately for me most Asian girls can eat whatever they want. I will be getting hammered in the gym when I get back☺

Edited by bluehuddo

Pete i know.. unfortunately for me most Asian girls can eat whatever they want. I will be getting hammered in the gym when I get back☺

My gf is Chinese, all we do is eat out and she's moaning about going back the gym. She's not even 10 stone whereas I'm nearly 2 stone heavier and can't be arsed going the gym. Enjoy the kebabs and chippy while you can :)

My gf is Chinese, all we do is eat out and she's moaning about going back the gym. She's not even 10 stone whereas I'm nearly 2 stone heavier and can't be arsed going the gym. Enjoy the kebabs and chippy while you can :)

They usually have a decent cafe in the gym too mate....... :jump for joy:

Whilst we're on the takeaway subject I had a chinese tonight as the Girlfriend is out with work. I had a Special curry with fried rice and chips. They chucked in free prawn crackers as well. Putting rice, a few chips and curry sauce on a prawn cracker and hearing the sizzling sound it makes.... Unbelievable.