Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

Can we change the name of this forum now from Brexit to Regrexit, cause as the weeks go by its looking more that way.

Well, it depends which paper you read. In the context of this thread, those who voted 'leave' don't have to post as they achieved their objective. All the posts are from disenchanted 'remainers'.

Italy will be next with Itexit by the look of things

Not likely. The No in the Italian referendum and the Brexit vote are two totally different things. The Italian referendum was about constitutional changes that were also opposed by many pro-EU center-left leaders. If passed the constitutional reform would have greatly expanded the powers of government and would have removed a lot of checks and balances.

The reason the EU Commission and the EU council were hoping for a "yes" in the Italian referendum was because a NO would create instability given that another Italian PM would resign so quickly after taking office; not because the EU had any real stake in it either being yes or no.

I understand the appeal of trying to interpret the No in Italian referendum as part of a whole anti-EU sentiment that is sweeping the continent and will take down the entire EU because the last couple of months has convinced most people that the only way the UK will be better off after Brexit, is if it's not negotiating with a bloc of 27 unified countries. Sadly, just because some British tabloids make it up as fact, doesn't make it true.

If the Austrian elections had resulted in Hofer (far right candidate) winning it, I'm sure the Daily Mail and the Sun would be writing that an Austria-exit was coming. Even though Hofer himself has said that he wants a strong EU and has pointed toward Farage supporting him as one of the reasons he lost.

Edited by holystove

Well, it depends which paper you read. In the context of this thread, those who voted 'leave' don't have to post as they achieved their objective. All the posts are from disenchanted 'remainers'.

I think it's because Leave has nothing to say but platitudes like "red white and blue" :happy: .

I do post a bit in this thread and as stated in my first post in this thread I'm a huge fan of Leave. Also, I find the (legal) implications of the brexit vote very interesting and believe there is much to say (post) on that.

the more the better in my opinion, it'll actually show sign that they have a clue about what's going on.

I actually do understand the politicians not completely revealing their strategy (if they have one), but that doesn't mean people on here who truely believe in Leave can't post about what they think about freedom of movement vs access to the single market, if the UK can or should just fall back on WTO rules or not, if international coorporation has gone to far and the nation-state should become more important, etc..

It's OK to not have an opinion on this but if johnh believes the only people who post here are 'remoaners' because there is nothing to say for the people who voted leave, I disagree.

I actually do understand the politicians not completely revealing their strategy (if they have one), but that doesn't mean people on here who truely believe in Leave can't post about what they think about freedom of movement vs access to the single market, if the UK can or should just fall back on WTO rules or not, if international coorporation has gone to far and the nation-state should become more important, etc..

It's OK to not have an opinion on this but if johnh believes the only people who post here are 'remoaners' because there is nothing to say for the people who voted leave, I disagree.

theres one thing in keeping your hands close to your chest, with which I'd agree with. But considering the fact that they didnt even plan for the referendum, let alone the aftermath, it would basic public service to say "right, if this is what you want, fine. This is our headline plan". Past invoking art.50, there is no plan and that phrase of "invoking art.50" is like responding to a question on University Challenge with "ok..."

theres one thing in keeping your hands close to your chest, with which I'd agree with. But considering the fact that they didnt even plan for the referendum, let alone the aftermath, it would basic public service to say "right, if this is what you want, fine. This is our headline plan". Past invoking art.50, there is no plan and that phrase of "invoking art.50" is like responding to a question on University Challenge with "ok..."

More like, "I know the answer but I'm not going to tell you, that's ten points to me from the Mail, Sun, Express, Star and Telegraph" followed by (fake) smug "I know something you don't" grin.

I've been following @Law_and_policy on Twitter. It's been pretty interesting reading the summaries from the Supreme Court.

I follow him aswell but I thought he's a bit too much with the legal mumbo jumbo to appeal to a broad audience. Though if you like him I'd also recommend @mattholehouse.

These are the people I follow to keep up with everything Brexit:

@Law_and_policy

@DaveKeating

@mattholehouse

@APHClarkson (also my favorite tweeter on anything else, really interesting man (he's a lecturer at King's College London))

@rdanielkelemen

@jonlis1

@IanDunt

A Niall Ferguson video was posted on this site supporting the 'remain' cause. In the Sunday Times today, there is an article by Niall Ferguson saying 'sorry' and how wrong he was to oppose Brexit. Extracts from the article are: ' EU leaders richly deserved Brexit and British voters were right to give them it'. 'I was wrong about Brexit and I was wrong for the wrong reasons. But now divorce proceedings are getting under way and it is a relief to be back on the right side. The good news? Not only was I wrong about Brexit, so were the EU leaders. And its people know it.'

A Niall Ferguson video was posted on this site supporting the 'remain' cause. In the Sunday Times today, there is an article by Niall Ferguson saying 'sorry' and how wrong he was to oppose Brexit. Extracts from the article are: ' EU leaders richly deserved Brexit and British voters were right to give them it'. 'I was wrong about Brexit and I was wrong for the wrong reasons. But now divorce proceedings are getting under way and it is a relief to be back on the right side. The good news? Not only was I wrong about Brexit, so were the EU leaders. And its people know it.'

So that's five million out voters who think they made a mistake v one remain voter who thinks he got it wrong. Case closed :P.

The problem with UK media: even pro-EU publications don't know how EU works. Brits aren't taught this in school.

Tough time for British people trying to be informed if both the anti-EU-media as well as the pro-EU-media is constantly factually wrong. Not a coincidence the public debate on the EU in the UK is of such poor quality.

Edited by holystove

It is all bollocks anyway. The vote is over, lets get on with it and see what happens, nobody knows yet as it has never happened before.

Bit like saying we've had a general election and the people have decided so no need for another one ever however shit the government turns out to be. Screw the next generation's opinion, the deal is done.

How many years went by before we could vote to leave or remain? About 40, right?

Rubecula said parliamentary elections in the UK are held every five years .. so 5 years?

In a parliamentary democracy people choose representatives to make decisions on the many things that need to be decided but they don't have the knowledge (or time to acquire the knowledge - or access to the knowledge) to make an informed decision.

how many years have gone by thus far where they haven't asked the question if everybody wants to pay 1000£ less taxes every year? I can just see it on the side of a bus : "Why are you sending 1000£ to elitist London when you could be spending it on yourself?"

I'm sure there would be a bigger victory in that referendum than 52-48.