Brexit...

Hafnia

Referendum  

50 members have voted

1. 1. In or out?

• Stay in
    • Leave

This poll is closed to new votes

BTW all these doom messages that they're spreading in the EU on Brexit and how baaaaad it is... all just typical pro-European propaganda. It all depends on how the treaties are re-negotiated, and I'm sure the best arrangements are being made, as Churchill would say. You can NOT speculate on "It will cost this an that economy so many billions of pounds/euros", simple as that. It's premature speculation by very biased people.

Now that guy is basically just saying that if the UK doesn't police the EU, that another World War will break out. Can we have a facepalm emoticon, please?

What he said was that without the UK Europe would go to hell in a handcart. He didn't say anything about a World War. What surprised me most was that Niall Ferguson highlighted the influence which Britain has had in the EU 'which is more than any other country' but then used the examples of the euro and Schengen. Well we got 'opt-outs' on those but we didn't stop them happening

and 'opt-outs' could always become 'opt-ins' if we remained.

What he said was that without the UK Europe would go to hell in a handcart. He didn't say anything about a World War. What surprised me most was that Niall Ferguson highlighted the influence which Britain has had in the EU 'which is more than any other country' but then used the examples of the euro and Schengen. Well we got 'opt-outs' on those but we didn't stop them happening

and 'opt-outs' could always become 'opt-ins' if we remained.

Can you define "hell in a handcart"?

Can you define "hell in a handcart"?

Well only Niall Ferguson can do that but as the discussion was between two economists I would guess that it was referring to economic type difficulties as there are plenty of those at the moment. Ask Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy, France etc.,

• 2 months later...

I meant surely not true that such a thing would ever be proposed :).

But apparently it has. Truely shocking, and very sad that they take the mandate given by the voters in June to try to implement xenophobic measures.

Someone pointed out that the moment you start doing that, you're basically implementing chapter 2 of Mein Kampf. Scary times.

Last two paras sum it up nicely for me...

“Somehow, a whole combination of people were in denial up until now,” said Adam S. Posen, a former member of the rate-setting committee at the Bank of England, and now president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington.

“There were the people who thought Brexit would be reversed,” he continued. “There were the people who delusionally thought there would be a soft Brexit, and all the northern Europeans would be nice to them. And there were people who believed that this crew in charge of the British negotiations were somehow going to strike a good deal. All of the delusions have run out of material.”

I don't want a "hard Brexit" and was always assuming such a thing wouldn't happen because I don't see the point in being tough with the UK just in the intrest of hurting them economically. Also, I see the EU as a political/cultural project, rather than merely economic integration. So if a country was in the EU solely for economic reasons and is so frightened of losing its own identity that it tries to block any type of further integration, every other country should be happy to see it go and a deal that is best for both sides should be pursued.

This article quite interestingly suggests that a "hard brexit" is the only logical outcome.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/hard-brexit-theresa-may-by-jacek-rostowski-2016-10

Well .. Sturgeon announces new independence referendum.

Probably a smart move. If she waits any longer she loses any chance of Scotland "retaining" EU membership rather than having to join as new member state. If Scotland hasn't secured its independence & EU relationship before Brexit happens in 2019, they would be in precarious situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37659503

Had a serious discussion with my wife today about moving to Scotland. (Sadly) coming into a fairly serious inheritance soon so jumping the sinking ship is looking quite attractive and financially doable.

makes sense mike, you've lived most of your life down south, do you think you could get used to the northern weather? pretty brutal up there isn't it?

makes sense mike, you've lived most of your life down south, do you think you could get used to the northern weather? pretty brutal up there isn't it?

But the beauty of the place makes up for it! Got friends who live on Skye and wouldn't swap for anywhere.

This is the sort of project I'd love!

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/41390134?search_identifier=26831ab2101252218166b0df25526898#HE9tuWWFpjV6LuKf.97

A lot of work obviously and a lot of money and not going to happen sadly but I can dream :).

But the beauty of the place makes up for it! Got friends who live on Skye and wouldn't swap for anywhere.

This is the sort of project I'd love!

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/41390134?search_identifier=26831ab2101252218166b0df25526898#HE9tuWWFpjV6LuKf.97

A lot of work obviously and a lot of money and not going to happen sadly but I can dream :).

good stuff mike :) are you very handy? i'm kinda handy, able to fix stuff around the house but not courageous enough to attempt renovations alone. the cottage does have potential :)

good stuff mike :) are you very handy? i'm kinda handy, able to fix stuff around the house but not courageous enough to attempt renovations alone. the cottage does have potential :)

Similar here; couldn't do the renovations myself, would certainly need help. But we moved into a house with zero kitchen other than a sink unit hanging off the wall and I built a new one off the cuff, never did anything similar before and had no power tools (couldn't afford) so used a hand drill and taught myself along the way. Worked out brilliant, I can do a fair bit if I put my mind to it; wife's a demon decorator as well!

After today's revelation that Boris wrote an article that wasn't published outlining why we should vote remain rather than leave

and then to fight a campaign to leave the way he did are there any people who were persuaded by him to vote leave thinking they have been duped or made a mistake

After today's revelation that Boris wrote an article that wasn't published outlining why we should vote remain rather than leave

and then to fight a campaign to leave the way he did are there any people who were persuaded by him to vote leave thinking they have been duped or made a mistake

Anyone that let that clown influence their vote deserves to have been duped.

He did what he thought was best for him, doesn't give a shit about the country. Tosser.