IGNORED

Norwich City (League Cup Home) Tuesday September 20th

markjazzbassist

I don't want to sound condescending here but some of the posters on here that think finishing top six instead of 11th and a cup is what they want have never experienced Everton winning a trophy and especially a cup win in a final. These things have been made diluted now due to the premier league and champions league. I'm not having this concentrate on the league bollocks. If these players and we as a club want to be taken seriously we should be playing twice a week most weeks. We could have had a favourable draw to the semis where some big guns will go out but we blew it

I'm not sure what side of the fence you stand after reading that Finn, are you saying you'd take 11th and a cup over a top four finish?

yes cause all the top players go to swansea after their league cup win with laurdrup. oh wait, no one still gives a shit about them. that victory did nothing for them other then give the team a party and the fans a couple extra hangovers. they got Europe, crashed out never to be there again. Meanwhile Arsenal pre-FA cup victories recently was qualifying for 4th and champs league yearly and was getting top targets due to this.

Players want to play in champions league, i've never heard a player say they want to move to a team over playing in a cup. they say they want to go to a CL team all the time.

Wigan and Portsmouth have won the FA Cup in recent years; if only we could match their success.

I could understand that more if we were playing in Europe but we are not.

And whilst I'm not expecting us to win everything I would like to win something. It may have escaped your notice but the club have won fuck all for 21 years

I fully agree that we need a new stadium but fail to see the relevance here

And who has ever said that the League Cup should be our principal aim?

I understand what I wrote earlier is controversial, and it's clear that plenty disagree. Let me make a point, though: Everyone's responses have been respectful, even when the soreness of defeat remains rather raw, so thanks for that. What a contrast to some other places I know. I enjoy being in this place. (Now awaiting the insults. :))

Wigan and Portsmouth would have gone down regardless if you asked their fans if they would give up the cup wins it would be a resounding no.

And also are you really comparing them to Everton.

Well they're both football clubs so comparable in that respect; Portsmouth actually finished 8th in the league the season they won the cup so there was much optimism for their future and they were bought out by a wealthy Arabian the following year so even more optimism.

I reckon their supporters might well exchange that cup win for our record v three relegations and administration in the following years.

We're currently 2nd id say we have a better chance of doing well and qualifying for champions league based on current form in the league rather than cup performances. I expect one of the sky 4 to win those since they have massive squads that can rotate.

2nd after 4 games having played 2 of the worst teams currently in the league, an out of form Spurs side at home and a tricky away fixture at West Brom.

Yep definitely easier to maintain that form for 34 more games than to win something like 6/7 games in a cup where some teams fielder weaker teams.

2nd after 4 games having played 2 of the worst teams currently in the league, an out of form Spurs side at home and a tricky away fixture at West Brom.

Yep definitely easier to maintain that form for 34 more games than to win something like 6/7 games in a cup where some teams fielder weaker teams.

we don't have any depth. we can either go all out in the cups and pray for a good draw with the odds being a lot worse (since you have to win to get the cup and europe) or we can go all out in the league and get top 5 or maybe top 7 depending on cup results. a lot better odds with that, as it's not 2 cup victories but 5 potentially 7 spots. simple math and statistics.

yes it's 4 games, and if we win tomorrow the best start since 69/70. we're beating the bad teams thats a good thing, i'm not sure why people keep bringing that up. should we lose to them? FFS you want to beat the minnows and mid tables home and away, and then draw the big clubs away and hope for the best at home. we are currently doing that.

united doesn't look great, chelsea not great, arsenal looks usual arsenal win some lose some half the team is injured, liverpool are up and down, spurs have injuries with kane, the only side that's dominating is Man City. that's 1 spot of 5, we still have a great chance for the other 4 europe spots (again could be more).

Several important points here. Most I agree with, maybe a couple of disagreements, or clarifications.

1. Outfought - Yes, seems that way. Really unacceptable to be outfought - or out-strategized?? - by a Championship reserve squad. Given the result, hard not to think Norwich wanted it more, and that our missed chances resulted from missing concentration. You just want to scream and cuss. As many of us probably did. A Championship reserve squad......

2. Wrong changes by Koeman - Funes Mori at LB seemed bizarre when announced, and foolish in the event. Don't think we can be too critical of Deulofeu as a "change," since he's a sometime-starter anyway, and can play exciting football. If he failed this time, it was his failure, not Koeman's. I expect Deulofeu to be in and out of the starting lineup, and to both impress and disappoint as the season goes on. Cleverley - well, several posted that he had a fine first half, and my impression was the radio guys said he was our best player in first half. Second half, less impressive, apparently. Lennon - I was happy he got the start, but it was a lost opportunity for him, so I assume he won't play much, except if injuries to wingers pile up.

3. Galloway out on loan to WBrom.

4. Can we actually say, based on this admittedly dismaying result, that our squad players aren't good enough? I wouldn't be appalled to see Funes Mori in at some point for an injured Jagielka or Williams. But no more LB, please. I'm disappointed Koeman didn't play Oviedo at LB, though I realize some on TT don't think he's adequate even as a squad player. Cleverley - he played well enough, if mostly only in first half, that I think he's adequate as a squad player. He can fill in at a couple lf positions with energy, but he won't be consistently excellent anywhere. Lennon - see paragraph 2.

5. Momentum - yes, big concern. We'll know at end of Bournemouth match. A loss or dull draw will be dispiriting in the extreme, and will incline us toward blaming the Cup screw-up for screwing us up. A spirited win will incline us toward seeing the Cup as a minor, presumably temporary, blip on our road to top 4.

Guess we've answered point 5!

we don't have any depth. we can either go all out in the cups and pray for a good draw with the odds being a lot worse (since you have to win to get the cup and europe) or we can go all out in the league and get top 5 or maybe top 7 depending on cup results. a lot better odds with that, as it's not 2 cup victories but 5 potentially 7 spots. simple math and statistics.

yes it's 4 games, and if we win tomorrow the best start since 69/70. we're beating the bad teams thats a good thing, i'm not sure why people keep bringing that up. should we lose to them? FFS you want to beat the minnows and mid tables home and away, and then draw the big clubs away and hope for the best at home. we are currently doing that.

united doesn't look great, chelsea not great, arsenal looks usual arsenal win some lose some half the team is injured, liverpool are up and down, spurs have injuries with kane, the only side that's dominating is Man City. that's 1 spot of 5, we still have a great chance for the other 4 europe spots (again could be more).

Are you still feeling the same way? 1 point from 2 very winnable games?

The point about beating bad teams is that it doesn't give you a true reflection of how good (or bad) the team is.

Are you still feeling the same way? 1 point from 2 very winnable games?

The point about beating bad teams is that it doesn't give you a true reflection of how good (or bad) the team is.

Yep still top 5, still positive. We still have a shit squad with a load of dead wood, so I'm not doom and gloom for at least the January and summer windows to update the squad.