IGNORED

Norwich City (League Cup Home) Tuesday September 20th

markjazzbassist

How the fuck is it ridiculous?

I don't know where you were sat but people were nearly coming to blows by me. Barkley was crucified again and Gerry was getting the same treatment

Not as in you were making it up but as in its a ridiculous thing for Evertonions to be doing based on one game after a good spell.

I think it's pretty ridiculous of people to not rate this cup. We've not won anything for 21 years, honestly what gives us the right to be picky?

It's become massively devalued for me in recent years with teams putting out reserve sides, and not just top teams; ten changes for Norwich last night. European place should be withdrawn and given to 6th place in the league, (I think) we're the only league in Europe who give a place to the winners of a secondary cup competition. It's an anachronism.

It's become massively devalued for me in recent years with teams putting out reserve sides, and not just top teams; ten changes for Norwich last night. European place should be withdrawn and given to 6th place in the league, (I think) we're the only league in Europe who give a place to the winners of a secondary cup competition. It's an anachronism.

you would be right mike. Germany, France, Spain, Italy, all 1 main cup for Europe positions. France has a secondary cup (Coupe de la Ligue) but it doesn't offer a reward other than the silverware.

At the end of the day it's still a trophy, no matter how many teams play weaker teams in the earlier rounds and it's a route into Europe. Winning trophies and getting back into Europe should be our 2 main aims at the moment and winning the League Cup would do that. I'd be absolutely buzzing if we won it.

At the end of the day it's still a trophy, no matter how many teams play weaker teams in the earlier rounds and it's a route into Europe. Winning trophies and getting back into Europe should be our 2 main aims at the moment and winning the League Cup would do that. I'd be absolutely buzzing if we won it.

I agree.

I just cant get my head around people not being bothered about us losing any game of football so its a totally alien conception to me that anybody wouldn't want to win a trophy

I agree with the first part completely. Second part, love to win a trophy; was delighted when we won some pre-season bauble a few years back and would gladly take a league cup win.....but to me it's a bit like getting relegated and winning the Championship. We'd have a party, but it's not a proper trophy, it'd be like celebrating a bronze medal at the Olympics.

Guest rusty747

What last nght has done is to alter the entire build up, confidence and momentum that we take into the Bournemouth game. Instead of going there confident and expecting another win, we are now going there hoping that we get our mojo back and that we can re establish the feel good factor.

Last night was an important game - not just because we are now out of a Cup competition we might have won, but also and mainly because it destroys belief and confidence.

Koeman has a lot of work to do before Saturday to get heads sorted.

The saying goes "Success breeds success" so I agree with Dunc on this. If we win one trophy we could go on to win a few more in fairly rapid succession just like in 84.

'84 league cup final was a real launching pad :unsure:.

And that was when teams tried to win it!

Understand the desire for silverware, particularly from those under forty-five odd with little/no memory of the good days, but I stand by my opinion however much in the minority I am (seems to be a minority of one :P).

I would make it a under 21 cup with max 4 or 5 over 21 players, and as you suggest give the euro place to the team who finish 6th.

What is the point of supporting the club if you don't want them to win trophies?

I'm lucky I'm old enough to have been there , seen it and done it in the glory days. But I want those days back

Surely a 'mickey mouse cup' is better than no fucking cup at all?

i'd rather top 6 in the league than 11th and mickey mouse cup. way more money getting a higher place in the league and we'd still get europe. I think the modern game has changed in that the european competitions are now more valuable than just winning the cups. whereas back in the day those cups meant something, now they dont' mean anything other than a Europa place which is usually 5-7 anyways.

the game has changed dunc, unlike when MikeO was a kid and the FA cup was the biggest thing since sliced bread, it's now just a secondary compeition compared to the ultimate Champions League.

What is the point of supporting the club if you don't want them to win trophies?

I'm lucky I'm old enough to have been there , seen it and done it in the glory days. But I want those days back

Surely a 'mickey mouse cup' is better than no fucking cup at all?

Unless I missed it I don't think anyone has said they don't want us to win a trophy :mellow:.

'84 league cup final was a real launching pad :unsure:.

And that was when teams tried to win it!

Understand the desire for silverware, particularly from those under forty-five odd with little/no memory of the good days, but I stand by my opinion however much in the minority I am (seems to be a minority of one :P).

Mike you have said it yourself , the 84 League Cup Final really was the launching pad of the glory days

Read the autobiographies of the likes of Graham Sharp and it was when the penny dropped that they were good enough to go toe to toe with The Shite who were the best team in the land at time

It gave them the belief to go on and win the FA Cup and the rest is history

i'd rather top 6 in the league than 11th and mickey mouse cup. way more money getting a higher place in the league and we'd still get europe. I think the modern game has changed in that the european competitions are now more valuable than just winning the cups. whereas back in the day those cups meant something, now they dont' mean anything other than a Europa place which is usually 5-7 anyways.

the game has changed dunc, unlike when MikeO was a kid and the FA cup was the biggest thing since sliced bread, it's now just a secondary compeition compared to the ultimate Champions League.

When Mike was a kid, even the Calcutta cup was still Indian coins

If I ever get into the mindset that finishing 6th is better than winning a trophy then I will walk away from football and take up fishing or something

If I ever get into the mindset that finishing 6th is better than winning a trophy then I will walk away from football and take up fishing or something

i'm sure your parents said that about riding the airplane or driving in a car too. it's called life, it's moves on with or without you. things change. the cups aren't what they used to be. so be it.

Mike you have said it yourself , the 84 League Cup Final really was the launching pad of the glory days

Read the autobiographies of the likes of Graham Sharp and it was when the penny dropped that they were good enough to go toe to toe with The Shite who were the best team in the land at time

It gave them the belief to go on and win the FA Cup and the rest is history

Whatever people have written the '84 league cup final was pitiful in every way, anyone who got belief from that was delusional. It was awful.

Gave us the belief that we could be slightly more crap than Liverpool when they played really badly maybe.