IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Boris Johnson has done an article referring to burka wearing Muslims as walking letterboxes. How can this man ever have held any power?

I do agree with the point people shouldn't fully cover their face but he's gone way beyond that and is promoting racism and fear which I assume is his real motive. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-niqab-theresa-may-islamophobia-tory-conservative-party-muslim-women-a8480581.html

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

....he's gone way beyond that and is promoting racism and fear which I assume is his real motive.

His real motive is promoting himself; he's not stupid (although he appears to be) and knew exactly the response the article would get but the stupid/xenophobe/racist millions who I mentioned in the Brexit thread will lap it up. It's not what he said it was the way he said it and it was pure self promotion/populism, he's a devious and dangerous presence. 

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

His real motive is promoting himself; he's not stupid (although he appears to be) and knew exactly the response the article would get but the stupid/xenophobe/racist millions who I mentioned in the Brexit thread will lap it up. It's not what he said it was the way he said it and it was pure self promotion/populism, he's a devious and dangerous presence. 

Couldn't agree more. 

Very saddening that that crowd not only exists but also there's enough of them to get this current lot of shisters into power. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Very saddening that that crowd not only exists but also there's enough of them to get this current lot of shisters into power. 

And he'll get away with it, can you imagine the shitstorm that would happen if Corbyn mocked the way Orthodox Jews looked? 

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

And he'll get away with it, can you imagine the shitstorm that would happen if Corbyn mocked the way Orthodox Jews looked? 

Especially with how the tories pressed the issue. Embarrassing lot they are. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Something like this should mean the end of his political career. Like Mike says its a planned article to get a planned reaction designed to get his name in the spotlight ahead of a possible leadership challenge. 

Reported to the police. Should get more than a stern warning if a man said it on the street he'd get a couple of months I'd imagine. With his position they should throw the book at him. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK not sure where to put this but it's political so here is good.

As I've mentioned before so some will know my lad recently moved to Bristol to try and get work in IT because his opportunities are very limited in rural Devon, Job Centre in his first interview were really positive and pulled up loads of jobs, some of which he's applied for (though I think he's over-qualified for most but that's another story). Anyway second interview today and they went through the normal routine of looking at his job search history which they were happy with but then, at the end of the interview they made him an offer.

Basically this particular JC is in the process of changing from JSA to Universal Credit (apologies to international members who won't understand this most likely) and they asked him if he'd come in and do voluntary work with people making the change due to his IT skills and at the end he'll get a certificate and he can put it on his CV. My first reaction was "great" (for his prospects) but then I thought about it; the UC changeover has been a complete fuck up from the start and now the DWP (and by extension the government) is asking claimants to come in and help sort the mess out for them gratis, it's a complete disgrace. Like offering a redundant painter and decorator the "opportunity" to voluntarily slap some magnolia around their office while looking for work.

Really conflicted here; on a personal level it'll look good on his CV and give him some experience (plus they might give him a hard time if he declines) but on a bigger level the concept stinks; the government got themselves into the mess so they should sort it out. Far too much reliance on the voluntary sector in this country already.

(Head explodes)

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

He has to look at what’s good for him, no matter how shit the systems are. Is there a time limit to the voluntary part?

Of course he does Matt; he wasn't given a time limit but because he has to be available for paid work at any time so he can't commit to any hours because it'd break their own rules, so he was told he write his own schedule. I just wonder how widespread this is; it's a conundrum for me, if they need IT people to help with the  changes then they need IT people to help with the changes and should employ said IT people rather than effectively exploiting people (when looked at on a larger scale).

Just now, MikeO said:

Of course he does Matt; he wasn't given a time limit but because he has to be available for paid work at any time so he can't commit to any hours because it'd break their own rules, so he was told he write his own schedule. I just wonder how widespread this is; it's a conundrum for me, if they need IT people to help with the  changes then they need IT people to help with the changes and should employ said IT people rather than effectively exploiting people (when looked at on a larger scale).

Well that’s just fucking stupid. Give the hours with an asterix after each one with a comment down below “subject to paid employment offers” in really small writing ;) 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I’d vote him, and Labour, without a second thought but there are plenty of diehard Labour voters that refuse to vote Labour while he’s leader. That’s a big problem. 

If he couldn’t win the election last time round when it was their best opportunity, or even get close really, then I don’t see how they’ll do it in the next GE. 

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I’d vote him, and Labour, without a second thought but there are plenty of diehard Labour voters that refuse to vote Labour while he’s leader. That’s a big problem. 

If he couldn’t win the election last time round when it was their best opportunity, or even get close really, then I don’t see how they’ll do it in the next GE. 

My feeling is that it'll be hung again with the LibDems increasing their vote (as the only full on anti-Brexit party) so another coalition, hopefully this time Lib/Lab.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

My feeling is that it'll be hung again with the LibDems increasing their vote (as the only full on anti-Brexit party) so another coalition, hopefully this time Lib/Lab.

I’d be really comfortable with that tbh, but I think a Con/Lib coalition would be much more likely, unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I just don't understand how these people struggle. He's pro union and trying to get fair pay for the country and stop us getting ripped off any longer by the rail companies etc. The only major flaw is he's too nice*, personally I'd happily have the noose back for nonces but I know that'd never happen under Corbyn but it's better than the tories strangling the life out of the nation. 

Even if you just don't like him, surely there's absolutely nothing they could like in May to vote her instead. 

*which if anything says more about me.

59 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Last time they did that it decimated their party on the next election, can't see them falling for tory lies again. 

Then we’ll just have a minority Conservative government instead. Labour are not getting in imo. 

The Lib Dem’s will fuck anyone that will tickle their balls, so if the Tory’s give them a whiff of power they’ll be on their back with their legs spread quicker than you can say hi. 

55 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I just don't understand how these people struggle. He's pro union and trying to get fair pay for the country and stop us getting ripped off any longer by the rail companies etc. The only major flaw is he's too nice*, personally I'd happily have the noose back for nonces but I know that'd never happen under Corbyn but it's better than the tories strangling the life out of the nation. 

Even if you just don't like him, surely there's absolutely nothing they could like in May to vote her instead. 

*which if anything says more about me.

They’re not going to vote for May, they haven’t completely lost their minds :lol: . They just won’t vote at all. 

Replace Corbyn with Starmer, get rid of Abbott and McDonnell and Labour would have a lot more traction with middle of the ground voters.. the ones that gave Blair his huge majorities.

Tbh, I don't see how there is going to be a new election before 2022.  Tories wouldn't dare risk a Corbyn government by calling one now.