IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

Small victory in the fact they have had to drop many of their controversial acts from the manifesto. My lad will now continue to be able to have school dinners (which he wont eat) instead of the 6.9p breakfast (which he would probably eat the fussy little shit! :lol: ) and foxes can rest easy too.

http://www.nme.com/festivals/jeremy-corbyn-glastonbury-2017-speech-full-2093107

He's on a hell of a roll, Labour landslide when May bows to the inevitable; the longer she clings on the bigger the Labour win gets imo, she should just take her medicine and get out now. Damage limitation time for the Tories.

I hope you're right, for the good of everyone.

How the fuck is she allowed to dip into the public purse to the tune of 1 billion to prop up her failing party and her shitty career.

Everybody who voted for another party are now contributing through their tax for her to give their money away so she can heap more misery on them, wrong wrong wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are the government not elected to govern?

You want businesses to do what they want without regulation?

Wow.

I don't see why the govt should be poking their noses into the areas they are talking about with this regulation.

If businesses want to spend x million on a chief executive who does sweet fa then that's their prerogative. I don't see them intervening in football clubs.

I think there should be more for big business but the less red tape for small businesses can only be a good thing overall.

I can't help it I'm a capitalist (who was severely hampered by red tape when trying to start up a business!).

Edited by Bailey

• 1 month later...

Latest "YouGov" poll on who would be the best PM has May and Corbyn neck-and-neck at 33% each; just behind "Don't know" who wins with 35%; I'm going to get some money on him:D!

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/10/11/voting-intention-conservatives-39-labour-42-10-11-/ 

(Don't ask me how they got a 101% total; can only think they're rounding up/down)

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

I meant I was going to put some money on "Don't know":lol:.

People have changed their name by deed poll to dafter examples than that. It's just £14 to apply online. Can we each throw in a few pounds for you, Mike? From MikeO to DowntonO - or even Downton O. Winns.

Incidentally, four last names in Britain have just one letter. There's a Mr A, Mr M, Mr X, and (my favourite) Mr E.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Landmark study links Tory austerity to 120,000 deaths

Government is accused of 'economic murder'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/tory-austerity-deaths-study-report-people-die-social-care-government-policy-a8057306.html?amp

Meanwhile, over at the DWP...

SEARCH FOR PIP CLAIMANTS ENTITLED TO MORE
A shameful 7 months after it lost a PIP court case, the DWP has finally backed down and changed the way it makes decisions about PIP.

It has also begun searching for thousands of claimants who have lost out as a result of the delay.

Until last week, the DWP had argued that a claimant could only score points for being unsafe if harm was likely to occur on more than 50% of the occasions on which they attempted an activity.

But, in back March a panel of upper tribunal judges held that the decision maker should look at whether there is a real possibility that harm might occur and also at how great the harm might be. The greater the potential harm, the less likely it needs to be that it would happen on any specific occasion.

It has taken the DWP an almost criminal seven months to update their guidance to health professionals and decision makers

The DWP believes that an extra 10,000 claimants will benefit by £70 - £90 a month as a result of the change.

Penny Mordaunt, former minister for disabled people, told the Commons earlier this month:

“In the case of existing claimants the Department for Work and Pensions will undertake an exercise to go through all existing cases and identify anyone who may be entitled to more. We will then write to those people affected and all payments will be backdated to the date of the change in case law.”

However, few claimants would trust the DWP to identify all those who should receive a higher award, or any award at all if you got nothing. It would definitely be worth getting advice if you believe your case should be looked at again, especially as the DWP seem to be focussing almost exclusively on claimants with epilepsy.

AS FEW PIP SAFETY AWARDS AS POSSIBLE
Whilst the DWP have no choice but to change the way they assess PIP claimants on safety grounds, new guidance to decision makers issued following Mordaunt’s statement show that they aim to change as little as possible.

The new guidance gives five imaginary examples of claimants who will need their claims reconsidering in the light of the upper tribunal ruling.

As a result, the number of claimants who get an increased award is . . . can you guess?

Yes, it’s zero.

Not one of the claimants in the guidance is better-off because their safety has been properly taken into account.

Tribunals, however, may take a very different view.

Especially in light of the utterly scornful ‘no-brainer’ opinion of DWP appeals voiced by the senior president of tribunals below.

TRIBUNAL NO-BRAINERS
Sir Ernest Ryder, senior president of tribunals, has condemned the the DWP for forcing so many claimants to go to appeal when it is a ‘no-brainer’ that the DWP will lose.

According to Ryder, the percentage of appeals that the DWP lose has risen from 44% in 2007 to 61% now.

He told a barristers meeting that the quality of evidence put forward by the DWP was so bad it wouldn’t be accepted in any other court.

In relation to PIP and ESA medical assessments, Ryder said that often the tribunal didn’t “even know what the professional qualification or registration number was of the author” and that “in expert evidence terms in any other organisation you and I know of, it would be wholly inadmissible.”

Ryder added that judges had done a spot check on outstanding cases and found that “60% of it is a no-brainer” that the DWP are going to lose.

The Tribunals Service are now considering either sending cases back to the DWP where there is no reasonable defence to the appeal or charging the DWP for defending such cases.

MASSIVE DROP IN LEGAL AID CASES
It may be no coincidence that the standard of appeal submissions has plummeted at a time when only a tiny number of claimants are fortunate enough to have a representative.

The number of claimants getting legal aid to help with social security appeals has plummeted by 99.5% as a result of massive cuts to the legal aid budget.

Figures produced by the government show that the 83,000 claimants received legal help in 2012-13, before the cuts came in. This plummeted to a tiny 440 claimants in the last financial year.