IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

It was lovely to see the Tories take a hammering in the local elections, but it was also great to see Labour not have a clean sweep and instead see a big increase in seats for independents, greens and Lib Dems.

I wouldn't want that red Tory to think the people actually think he has good policies.

Hopefully they don't get a majority in the General Election and are forced to have to work with people that actually care about the people of this country.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It was lovely to see the Tories take a hammering in the local elections, but it was also great to see Labour not have a clean sweep and instead see a big increase in seats for independents, greens and Lib Dems.

I wouldn't want that red Tory to think the people actually think he has good policies.

Hopefully they don't get a majority in the General Election and are forced to have to work with people that actually care about the people of this country.

I think 5 years of a middle road is needed to be honest. Much like Everton needed some structure that wasn't always going to be pleasant to watch, Starmer is Dyche for the country.

:unsure:

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think 5 years of a middle road is needed to be honest. Much like Everton needed some structure that wasn't always going to be pleasant to watch, Starmer is Dyche for the country.

:unsure:

I don't see Starmer as middle road at all. He'll just continue down the road that the Tories have put us on.

Anyone that believes he'll change things once Labour are in power is dreaming.

So my only real hope is that the parties he'll have to work with will force him into doing things to benefit the country.

My unrealistic hope is that he can get absolutely fuck all done and his party get rid of him as leader.

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I don't see Starmer as middle road at all. He'll just continue down the road that the Tories have put us on.

So my only real hope is that the parties he'll have to work with will force him into doing things to benefit the country.

My unrealistic hope is that he can get absolutely fuck all done and his party get rid of him as leader.

He's a lot more middle road than the Cuntservatives.

I'm just hoping for 5 years of not utter embarrassment and incompetence, don't care if it's pretty. Let him steady the ship a bit and hopefully next time around we'll have a bit more (relative) stability.

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's a lot more middle road than the Cuntservatives.

I'm just hoping for 5 years of not utter embarrassment and incompetence, don't care if it's pretty. Let him steady the ship a bit and hopefully next time around we'll have a bit more (relative) stability.

He's just going to carry on with the same policies these horrors have put in place, he won't be reversing any of the things that have caused such hardship to people.

How is that middle road?

The misery brought on by the Tories is just going to continue. There's a reason they were anything but an opposition during the time Starmer has been leader.

The only way things are going to change is if proportional representation is brought in so that's another reason why I hope Labour have nowhere near a majority. If the Lib Dems (and others) have any sense they'll only agree to work with the red Tories is if that becomes reality.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's just going to carry on with the same policies these horrors have put in place, he won't be reversing any of the things that have caused such hardship to people.

How is that middle road?

The misery brought on by the Tories is just going to continue. There's a reason they were anything but an opposition during the time Starmer has been leader.

The only way things are going to change is if proportional representation is brought in so that's another reason why I hope Labour have nowhere near a majority. If the Lib Dems (and others) have any sense they'll only agree to work with the red Tories is if that becomes reality.

It's going to take 20 plus years to undo the Tory shitshow (again) so in the next 5 years if he can put things in place to stabilise the economy and improve GDP per capita and start to dismantle some of the easier flagship policies of the Tory's (Rwanda and the small boats issue is fixable over a month with some basic commitment and a spine), for 5 years is quite middle of the road. Strategically it also means he can show conservative voters that the cunts aren't their only viable option.

6 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Starmer is definitely middle of the road he’s not right and he’s no where near left enough for a lot of people in the labour movement, even the soft left of the Conservative Party are asking for Labour policies to be implemented by their own party. 🎈 

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Because Londoners voted for him?

That'll be the one👍

The alternative was that batshit crazy Tory woman; no idea why they selected her, she was always totally unelectable, mad as a box of frogs.

Great part of last night, imo, was Reform (who are apparently the only alternative to Labour...so they say) managing to get the magnificent total of two local coucillors.

Behind Independents (228), Greens (181), residents' associations (48) and even George Galloways mob (4).

So much for the "silent majority" (as they like to describe their supporters):D.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

That'll be the one👍

The alternative was that batshit crazy Tory woman; no idea why they selected her, she was always totally unelectable, mad as a box of frogs.

Great part of last night, imo, was Reform (who are apparently the only alternative to Labour...so they say) managing to get the magnificent total of two local coucillors.

Behind Independents (228), Greens (181), residents' associations (48) and even George Galloways mob (4).

So much for the "silent majority" (as they like to describe their supporters):D.

As soon as someone says they are a Trump supporter you know you need to take a wide berth. 

19 hours ago, Palfy said:

As soon as someone says they are a Trump supporter you know you need to take a wide berth. 

Not really. Just treat them as a little nuts and go from there. Politics do not define a person. 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not really. Just treat them as a little nuts and go from there. Politics do not define a person. 

Don’t you think so, you could say you are a republican or a conservative or even a LibDem which tells you what their political views are, but when you say you are supporter of a low life does it not define you. 

Just now, Palfy said:

Don’t you think so, you could say you are a republican or a conservative or even a LibDem which tells you what their political views are, but when you say you are supporter of a low life does it not define you. 

I used to think so but I married into a republican family and they're lovely for the most part. So I'm trying to make the distinction after my trip to Florida because the people were very polite and friendly. 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

I used to think so but I married into a republican family and they're lovely for the most part. So I'm trying to make the distinction after my trip to Florida because the people were very polite and friendly. 

But I’m assuming they are not Republican’s because of Trump I assume they were Republican’s before and will remain so after Trump.  I vote Labour not because of Starmer or any leader of the party before him, I vote Labour because of the core values of the Labour Party which I believe in. So I can understand your family being Republican’s before being Trump supporters. That woman who the Tories put forward as Mayor of London is an ardent Trump supporter the same as Truss is a couple of idiots who are infatuated with a mongrel for me that defines their politics as lacking morality. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Would they have been polite and lovely if you'd given your opinion of Trump?

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Would they have been polite and lovely if you'd given your opinion of Trump?

I have done many a time. With the locals, it doesn't really come up so I treat them on face value.

57 minutes ago, Palfy said:

But I’m assuming they are not Republican’s because of Trump I assume they were Republican’s before and will remain so after Trump.  I vote Labour not because of Starmer or any leader of the party before him, I vote Labour because of the core values of the Labour Party which I believe in. So I can understand your family being Republican’s before being Trump supporters. That woman who the Tories put forward as Mayor of London is an ardent Trump supporter the same as Truss is a couple of idiots who are infatuated with a mongrel for me that defines their politics as lacking morality. 

Some are some aren't. Trump is just a symptom rather than being the root cause. If it wasn't him it'd be some other nutter like De Santis