IGNORED

curious about .... NAMES?

rubecula

OK I have explained this before but here it goes one last time.

Some people on here use names that make sense They use their own names.  Others, like myself, do not.  So this thread is about how those names came about.

My  surname is Robinette which in French means Tap (faucet to our American friends)  but in ye olde English also means robin redbreast. (European Robin)

The  scientific name for a european  robin is Erithacus rubecula, and, as I am not the only person on the internet with my name it is better to use a lesser name to make it easier for friends and family to find  me.  It has become a habit to use the nickname on most sites I frequent, other names may be used too.  however you all now know.  

anyone else wish to add an explanation of the name they use?

edit:  when I was 7 years old I had a teacher take the piss out of my name by the way and it still sticks in my mind, so even if I don't know you, take the piss and I will find you and I will kill you

:rofl:

My surname is Palfreeman it is more commonly spelt with ey it comes from a horse that was bred for Ladies many years ago to ride called a Palfrey, and a Palfreyman was probably the guy who cleaned the manure up, but I like to think we were responsible for the breeding it sounds better than being a shit kicker but who knows. But as a kid I was  nicknamed Palfy in them days the requisite was most people's nicknames ended with a y or similar sound, it has stayed with me for forty odd years so much so that my family use it, even in board meetings I get called Palfy and clients call me it I swear some think it's my Christian name.                                                 Good topic Rubes I think we must have lots of interesting surnames on this forum.

1994-96 myself and three other mates had a ritual on a Saturday afternoon where we'd get a box of beer and go to a school playing field that had hockey goals and spend the afternoon playing headers and volleys before going out.

One mate used to like to give everyones name a different spin and my name is Karl and became Karlos Muchachos, in the end it got shortened to Chach and that stuck.

42 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

Used to play CS/Half-Life online... like 15 years ago.

I went by Tonka at one point and Rooster a little later. Eventually, I just combined the names. I kept it, because it was always a unique name when signing up for new accounts.

Probably the most boring story on here.

Zzzzzzzz no not at all:D

1 hour ago, tonkaroost said:

Used to play CS/Half-Life online... like 15 years ago.

I went by Tonka at one point and Rooster a little later. Eventually, I just combined the names. I kept it, because it was always a unique name when signing up for new accounts.

Probably the most boring story on here.

No, I can probably equal that.  John is my first name and 'H' is the first letter of my surname. To bore everyone further,  my surname is 'Henesy' which has many different spellings. The name is derived from 'O Haonghusa' which means' descendants of Oengus' - whoever that may be.  There are many derivative spellings including: Henassa, O Henwys, ........................................

......... .........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

When I was 8 years old in Cornwall, our teacher read some story or other with Wurzel Gummidge. At playtime after that lesson, my friends all started calling me Wurzel, and the name stuck. Some friends in Cornwall, even now, would call be Wurz or Gum if I were to see them.

You and Mike identical twins, cause you sure look it.

I lived in Formby from 1966-1975. It was the home of many Everton and Liverpool players at the time (still is, I dare say). John Toshack had a house adjacent to my primary school, Bob Latchford owned the local barbers and Joe Royle played kickabout near Formby pinewoods a few streets away from my house. I left Formby in 75 to live in Belfast. My abiding memory was seeing soldiers on the streets for the first time. Crossing the border from the south, and stuck in a huge queue, a young squaddie - recognising the English plate, I guess - knocked on my dad's window. He looked in the back, saw me, and asked who I supported. When I said Everton, he grinned and said 'Right team'. He asked us to pull out of the queue and waved us over the border. Formby and Everton came with me.  

16 minutes ago, Formby said:

I lived in Formby from 1966-1975. It was the home of many Everton and Liverpool players at the time (still is, I dare say). John Toshack had a house adjacent to my primary school, Bob Latchford owned the local barbers and Joe Royle played kickabout near Formby pinewoods a few streets away from my house. I left Formby in 75 to live in Belfast. My abiding memory was seeing soldiers on the streets for the first time. Crossing the border from the south, and stuck in a huge queue, a young squaddie - recognising the English plate, I guess - knocked on my dad's window. He looked in the back, saw me, and asked who I supported. When I said Everton, he grinned and said 'Right team'. He asked us to pull out of the queue and waved us over the border. Formby and Everton came with me.  

Great story!

I started off life here as GalacticAracnid, because that was the name of the band I was hoping to form (The Galactic Arachnids), which came from a line from this track:

Changed to Matt after a few years here, it felt like being among friends (for the most part) so it read easier than Spidey or GA :)

Must be going on 10 years now, insane!