IGNORED

Burnley (Away) Wednesday December 26th

markjazzbassist

Just watched the extended highlights.

Having seen the score beforehand I was expecting to see us look better than we did. We were absolutely gifted a 3 goal lead (basically set piece goals) and from then on all we had to do was sit back and counter. That nearly went tits up when Tarkowski had a sitter to get them back to 3-2. Thankfully Digne scores a screamer and it settles the game again before Richarlison scores our only real open play goal.

I thought the back 5 again looked dodgy and on the rare occasions Burnley did get forward, the runners left by Siggy and Gomes gave the CBs problems. 

It didnt seem like anyone played badly but at the same time it looked like no-one really needed to get out of 3rd gear due to the way we got the easy lead. It might just be that I only saw the highlights. Bernard did seem to be involved in a lot of our best work. 

I would like to see us do it again against Brighton however they are a much tougher nut to crack than Burnley this season and that will be a better gauge of how good we are against the worser teams in the league.

56 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Just watched the extended highlights.

Having seen the score beforehand I was expecting to see us look better than we did. We were absolutely gifted a 3 goal lead (basically set piece goals) and from then on all we had to do was sit back and counter. That nearly went tits up when Tarkowski had a sitter to get them back to 3-2. Thankfully Digne scores a screamer and it settles the game again before Richarlison scores our only real open play goal.

I thought the back 5 again looked dodgy and on the rare occasions Burnley did get forward, the runners left by Siggy and Gomes gave the CBs problems. 

It didnt seem like anyone played badly but at the same time it looked like no-one really needed to get out of 3rd gear due to the way we got the easy lead. It might just be that I only saw the highlights. Bernard did seem to be involved in a lot of our best work. 

I would like to see us do it again against Brighton however they are a much tougher nut to crack than Burnley this season and that will be a better gauge of how good we are against the worser teams in the league.

I think it was the highlights.  It was like playing a pub league side.  We were dominating and I never felt threatened by them even on their counters (probably helps that vokes is crap).  Their goal was a goal mouth scramble that was blocked twice went in on third try. Really no comment there, it happens.  We scored lots of goals and you could tell we were playing with passion from the kickoff.  Bernard was working his ass off and no surprise all the good chances went through him, Gylfi, or digne.  It could have been 6 or 7 for us, that’s how comfortable we looked and how intent on attacking we were.

It's been a brilliant but hectic festive period for me so this is the first game that I actually haven't seen this season, made up that my phone was exploading with all the goal updates, the perfect response to the Spurs game 😁

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I like the five at the back with two wing-backs, very dynamic and the return of Yerry Mina pleased me greatly as I think he's our best centre back and has shown how deadly he can be when left unmarked in the box. His height alone is such a handful for defenders and he proved in the World Cup what he can do with half a chance. 

Disappointed that we conceded from another corner, it's literally as if we turn into a League Two side against them and had Burnley took that golden opportunity at the start of the second half then it could have been a totally different story, luckily we got away with it and then bounced back with a thunderbolt from Digne (honestly, what a signing) and a class finish from Charlie. 

Bernard looked awesome all game, I'm really pleased that he's finding his feet as he was always Shakhtar's best player, even when they were getting thumped in the Champions League and playing second fiddle to Kiev so glad that he's adapting to our team, he looked an absolute menace throughout and his stats don't lie from the afternoon, outstanding. 

Very optimistic about the Brighton game now, we've had a bit of a wobble but no reason why we can't put together a nice little run, teams will fear us if we can display this kind of firepower every week so it's up to the lads and Silva to keep this standard up. 

On a side note of Burnley, they look in deep trouble. That European Tour in the summer has really killed them heading into this season and they look totally out of it, I said at the time that signing Joe Hart and dropping Tom Heaton and/or Nick Pope was a bonkers decision. My mate is a Burnley fan and said that they best game of the season was when they "only lost 3-1 to Liverpool" 😵. Ouch. Back to the Championship I think as they won't break the bank to sack Dyche and re-hire.

Edit: Forgot to add, a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at ToffeeTalk Towers, hope 2019 is a cracker for everyone 😎!

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It's been a brilliant but hectic festive period for me so this is the first game that I actually haven't seen this season, made up that my phone was exploading with all the goal updates, the perfect response to the Spurs game 😁

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I like the five at the back with two wing-backs, very dynamic and the return of Yerry Mina pleased me greatly as I think he's our best centre back and has shown how deadly he can be when left unmarked in the box. His height alone is such a handful for defenders and he proved in the World Cup what he can do with half a chance. 

Disappointed that we conceded from another corner, it's literally as if we turn into a League Two side against them and had Burnley took that golden opportunity at the start of the second half then it could have been a totally different story, luckily we got away with it and then bounced back with a thunderbolt from Digne (honestly, what a signing) and a class finish from Charlie. 

Bernard looked awesome all game, I'm really pleased that he's finding his feet as he was always Shakhtar's best player, even when they were getting thumped in the Champions League and playing second fiddle to Kiev so glad that he's adapting to our team, he looked an absolute menace throughout and his stats don't lie from the afternoon, outstanding. 

Very optimistic about the Brighton game now, we've had a bit of a wobble but no reason why we can't put together a nice little run, teams will fear us if we can display this kind of firepower every week so it's up to the lads and Silva to keep this standard up. 

On a side note of Burnley, they look in deep trouble. That European Tour in the summer has really killed them heading into this season and they look totally out of it, I said at the time that signing Joe Hart and dropping Tom Heaton and/or Nick Pope was a bonkers decision. My mate is a Burnley fan and said that they best game of the season was when they "only lost 3-1 to Liverpool" 😵. Ouch. Back to the Championship I think as they won't break the bank to sack Dyche and re-hire.

Agree with you about Mina he is also vocal and expressive and creates a good team togetherness which is something we need nearly all the other players hardly say a word, I'm with you Zoo really rate him for his football and his inspirational team bonding.