IGNORED

Path to Top 6

On 22/05/2019 at 01:08, pete0 said:

How's it stupid to expect a team that goes from Martina, Williams, Rooney (in midfield), and DCL (on the wing) to Zouma, Digne, Gomes, Bernard, and Richarlison. The pace alone should have closed the gap between the top 6 and ffs by more than 2 points, nevermind that every single player is of better quality. Half the first eleven upgraded and only 2 points closer is a major failure. 

It’s stupid because of the facts you ignored, opinions based on evidence you don’t agree with and a blind conviction 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Exactly he had really good start and a very poor mid it was only his good start that kept it from looking as bad as it was, then he turned the corner and finished 7th refer to Koeman thread for that season and it may jog your memory. 

So please concede you were wrong because he did turn his 1st season round, and yes he couldn’t sustain that in his 2nd season as Martinez couldn’t, but let’s not forget Silva hasn’t had his 2nd yet, so a little bit like counting your chickens when it comes to Silva next season could potentially go either way. 

I concede that the results after the first 5 games were not as good as they should have been, but at the halfway stage of the season we were in the same position we were in at the end. We never looked like getting relegated that season. Where as in February this year I had serious concerns we might. I also concede that next season could go either way. I’m still optimistic though.

Keith has it spot on. Man Utd will be looking for a new manager by Christmas, Chelsea will probably start the season with a new one who may be working with a transfer ban and no Hazard. Arsenal have two fantastic strikers and very little else. We've just beaten all three of those teams. Brands gets the recruitment right next season, there is a genuine opportunity to get back in the top 6 next season. 

Or does it not count if three of the big boys underperform?? Ask Leicester fans... 

9 hours ago, Deacs said:

I concede that the results after the first 5 games were not as good as they should have been, but at the halfway stage of the season we were in the same position we were in at the end. We never looked like getting relegated that season. Where as in February this year I had serious concerns we might. I also concede that next season could go either way. I’m still optimistic though.

Yes but the 10 games after the 1st five we got  7 points from a possible 30, so can you understand when I say his great start of 13 points from a possible 15 in the 1st 5 games saved him from being in the bottom 3 we were in free fall and he turned it round. 

That is why I disputed your original post of Silva turned his season round which Martinez and Koeman couldn’t do. 

Then the same has Silva a lot wanted him sacked then it was I new he would turn it round what a good manager can’t wait for next season blah blah blah and the rest is history, that’s why I’m not building him up to be the saviour been there done that before, let’s just wait and see what transpires next season before we start talking of top 6 or 4.

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Then the same has Silva a lot wanted him sacked then it was I new he would turn it round what a good manager can’t wait for next season blah blah blah and the rest is history, that’s why I’m not building him up to be the saviour been there done that before, let’s just wait and see what transpires next season before we start talking of top 6 or 4.

I don’t think anyone is building him up to be a saviour, just plenty of reason to optimistic. We’ve had enough pessimism in the last 30 years, it’s good to see Evertonians being positive again. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

I don’t think anyone is building him up to be a saviour, just plenty of reason to optimistic. We’ve had enough pessimism in the last 30 years, it’s good to see Evertonians being positive again. 

You’ve hit the nail on the head.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Yes but the 10 games after the 1st five we got  7 points from a possible 30, so can you understand when I say his great start of 13 points from a possible 15 in the 1st 5 games saved him from being in the bottom 3 we were in free fall and he turned it round. 

That is why I disputed your original post of Silva turned his season round which Martinez and Koeman couldn’t do. 

Ok the points return from that run of games was poor. If you remember some of the defeats we were extremely unlucky and had draws against city and utd as well in that run. Our league position never dropped below 9th though because we did have such a good start and that needs to be considered. All told I don’t believe we ever looked like being in the same trouble we appeared to be in this season.

Even though I was worried I never called for Silva to be sacked and I have certainly never said he’s our savior. Just that I’m optimistic for the future.

I can see your take on it though.

2 hours ago, Finn balor said:

It’s all about scouting. Look at Dortmund? Sancho last season, hazard signed and Brandt’s already this season. That’s the blue print right there 

I follow Dortmund in my spare, non-Everton time and they do an amazing job of finding young talent, developing it and then selling it on for a significant profit. O. Dembele, C. Pulisic, and E. Mor are three recent examples. Sancho will be sold for $100M eventually. It is a model that can work for Everton, but it takes a real commitment to development and scouting. I'm not sure if Everton has it in them, but I'd love to see them employ this sort of thing. Thought I'm not sure it is repeatable.

19 minutes ago, Keith B said:

I follow Dortmund in my spare, non-Everton time and they do an amazing job of finding young talent, developing it and then selling it on for a significant profit. O. Dembele, C. Pulisic, and E. Mor are three recent examples. Sancho will be sold for $100M eventually. It is a model that can work for Everton, but it takes a real commitment to development and scouting. I'm not sure if Everton has it in them, but I'd love to see them employ this sort of thing. Thought I'm not sure it is repeatable.

it also takes managers that will play the youngsters, faults and all.  I"m Not sure Marco is that guy.

7 hours ago, StevO said:

I do remember the optimism with Martinez and Koeman after their 1st seasons for it all to come tumbling down, and looking back I see lots of Evertonians being positive Steve including you and myself,  I don't think I'll be getting to excited as most about Silva's I don't think I could stand another false dawn, because if I did and it went the way of the last 2 I think I would be more inclined to start a crowd funding campaign to pay for someone to blow the boardroom up preferably with them in it, there's only so much disappointment a man can take so yes call it pessimistic if you want but I will call it not convinced if you don't mind, and that isn'tt about Silva that's about how good we are as a team and how good our season will be.

5 hours ago, Keith B said:

It’s a lot harder to produce and sell talent in England though. The pay structure is on a completely different level. We can’t bring up superstars on a low wage as they would be snapped up by the bigger clubs before they have progressed. 

But we do an excellent job of giving youth a chance here. Would be nice to produce another Rooney though..... though I would hope to keep them rather than sell.

15 hours ago, Palfy said:

I do remember the optimism with Martinez and Koeman after their 1st seasons for it all to come tumbling down, and looking back I see lots of Evertonians being positive Steve including you and myself,  I don't think I'll be getting to excited as most about Silva's I don't think I could stand another false dawn, because if I did and it went the way of the last 2 I think I would be more inclined to start a crowd funding campaign to pay for someone to blow the boardroom up preferably with them in it, there's only so much disappointment a man can take so yes call it pessimistic if you want but I will call it not convinced if you don't mind, and that isn'ttt about Silva that's about how good we are as a team and how good our season will be.

It’s the hope that kills us mate 😂