IGNORED

Aston Villa (Home) Thursday July 16

markjazzbassist

I once saw a man, pissed up at 8 in the morning, rush out of the main door of Twickenham train station whip down his trousers, pull his pants to one side and squirt a load of shit over the pavement as the commuters rushed past either side of him.  Without bothering to wipe, he gathered himself and strutted into the gloom of looking rather nonchalant. 

This Everton performance - and several other recent ones to be honest - as an experience rates far below watching that man shit everyehere.

Another typical Everton performance. We started with some promise, then almost lost any sense of control after the first 15 minutes and then woke up a little at the end when they started to freeze. 

I was surprised by the first two subs because despite lacking quality Bernard and Iwobi were the ones finding space and every now and then they would complete a pass. Their movement helped others. Walcott scored so I am sure he will grab the headlines but it was a disgusting performance from the bench. Showed no interest whatsoever until he scored. 

Pickford had nothing to do apart from picking the ball out of the back of the net. Showed good feet though.

Digne wasnt good but wasn't bad either. Him and Bernard showed that they have a good understanding. 

Keane and Branthwaite played well together. They got a bit ragged at the end because they were getting no help whatsoever. I was impressed by the quality of Branthwaite on the ball. Two footed, composed but not at the Stones level of dicking about. He is a unit too.

Coleman was his usual self. Solid at the back but massively inconsistent with the ball at his feet.

Davies was absolutely funking dreadful. Poor decision making, poor passing and Grealish beat him every single time 1 v 1. It was cruel. 

Gomes started well then proceeded to fuck everything up, quite literally everything. He showed at the end why he needs to play further up the pitch. He got a bit of luck with the slip but he beat his man only for DCL to miss and then he put in the best ball of the game (for us) to equalise. He is a guy we want breaking into the box not defending it.

Iv touched on Iwobi and Bernard but they both played their part in most of the good things we did and also some of the worst. The side looked balanced with them both in and it showed. Next time they could maybe not give the ball away half of the time and if they did that we might have a chance of winning or at least a few shots on target.

What can we say about the front to. Richarlison looked the most disinterested he has been since the restart and DCL was livelier today but again just naive. At times he is too keen to get in behind when he just needs to hold his run. He had two good chances too which he spurned. 

As for the subs as I was dismayed by Walcott and he didn't deserve the goal, Gordon tried but again showed very little and Kean did show a bit more today. He is certainly direct. 

We desperately need to get a win before the end of the season because this is relegation form and you don't want to go into next season on the back of what we are seeing now. Villa deserved to win and somehow they didn't.

I missed it, dodged a bullet by the sounds of it. Sometimes you get lucky being an Evertonian and we occasionally win and sometimes in style. 
Although we were shite by most accounts I’m gutted I missed it, even though I would have been kicking off, I love watching us even though there seems to be more bad than good of late, I’m use to taking the rough with the smooth now.  

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Does anyone else not think it is slightly co-incidental that our best play came when we squeezed up the pitch and stopped pissing about with it at the back?

no surprise at all!  Carlo has mentioned this many times how we need to cut out all the back passes and move it quicker in transition up the pitch.  be direct and get it from back to front ASAP.  sadly we had all these faux tiki-taka managers for the last decade and it's ingrained in everyone.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

no surprise at all!  Carlo has mentioned this many times how we need to cut out all the back passes and move it quicker in transition up the pitch.  be direct and get it from back to front ASAP.  sadly we had all these faux tiki-taka managers for the last decade and it's ingrained in everyone.

The problem is that when you listen to him during a match, he is literally doing the opposite. He is telling them to play the ball backwards and keep hold. 

It’s interesting to listen to the matches without the sound sometimes as you hear clearly what the manager is instructing.

3 hours ago, Shukes said:

The problem is that when you listen to him during a match, he is literally doing the opposite. He is telling them to play the ball backwards and keep hold. 

It’s interesting to listen to the matches without the sound sometimes as you hear clearly what the manager is instructing.

Exactly. Carlo wants us to play out. He would drop the CBs so deep if he didn't. 

At the end we were chasing the game and needed to get the ball forward and went long and it worked. 

7 hours ago, Shukes said:

we are talking about 2 different things i think.  i'm talking about being brave when we have the ball and making those forward passes even if they don't come off, at least trying to.  right now if a sure fire pass isn't there it's pass it all the back to the keeper and start again.  they are scared.  who cares if we lose the ball, i'd rather lose it 3 times and score the 4th than pass it about and lose it anyways!