IGNORED

Fleetwood (League Cup Away) Wednesday September 23rd

markjazzbassist

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

We were sublime in the first half, we really were. Fleetwood just couldn't live with us and they may as well not have even been there to be honest. We moved the ball so quickly about the pitch and with purpose. At one point we had 93% possession! And it wasn't like under Silva where we'd have a fuckton on the ball but actually be doing nothing with it - here you could see what we were doing and why. In truth we should have been 4 or 5 up by half-time.

Second half wasn't quite the same sort of ease. I think we got a bit ahead of ourselves and thought we were done and dusted and concentration levels dropped. They certainly did for our goalkeeper! We concede two goals through completely losing the plot. Fortunately we managed to pick it up at the other end of the pitch to spare his blushes.

On to the next round. Lets hope we put a few past West Ham and go through again, because I want a trophy and this is the quickest route there this season.

Our passing is lots better.  My guess is that the quality of training has increased with James etc.... The bar is raised. 

This was what I hoped for. 

I recall training for my amateur team when we bought in a lad who went on to play for Chester City and a few Welsh clubs with lads who had been at Everton as youth players. ... You literally improved because you knew your touch and execution needed to be spot on.  If they weren't there then the tempo would drop, people would get comfortable. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Our passing is lots better.  My guess is that the quality of training has increased with James etc.... The bar is raised. 

This was what I hoped for. 

I recall training for my amateur team when we bought in a lad who went on to play for Chester City and a few Welsh clubs with lads who had been at Everton as youth players. ... You literally improved because you knew your touch and execution needed to be spot on.  If they weren't there then the tempo would drop, people would get comfortable. 

And what I have also noticed to go a long with what you and Rom have highlighted is that, we don’t cave in and panic when the slightest thing goes against us, not so long ago those mistakes from Pickford would have seen crumble and possibly throw the game away, but we are not so fragile now there’s a strength and belief that we haven’t seen for years and from players who weren’t really showing us that before.

8 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And what I have also noticed to go a long with what you and Rom have highlighted is that, we don’t cave in and panic when the slightest thing goes against us, not so long ago those mistakes from Pickford would have seen crumble and possibly throw the game away, but we are not so fragile now there’s a strength and belief that we haven’t seen for years and from players who weren’t really showing us that before.

That's why I'm genuinely worried about Pickford being in goal. The margins are so much finer at the top half of the table.  Look at Chelsea Vs Liverpool.... Kepa, effectively cost them the game. 

It does feel good knowing we have bonafide goal threats though. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

this is a big thing for me.  we have the proper mentality finally.  we are able to bend without breaking

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

Anything to do with no crowd? Not the new trio but the others as we have for a long time had a bad away record. Also the losses (& lucky draw) we had to newly promoted teams last year at home had the crowd adding pressure/ nervousness. Lastly, in an empty stadium I still don’t think we concede 2 to Newcastle in injury time. The crowds nervous energy has to be felt. I was sat in my seat and you could feel it coming after a game we totally dominated. I’m just not sure it’s coincidence but hope it’s the Carlo factor instead.