IGNORED

Daniel Jebbison

We do buy young players, just like everyone else. Problem is finding a development path. Chelsea hoards youngsters and then send them out on loan all over Europe. Everton's development path doesn's seem to work as well, quite often the loans turn out bad (e.g. player not getting enough game time).

Holgate, Branthwaite and Nkounkou from yesterday's lineup were all bought like this. But there are also failures, like Markelo who at 22 doesn't look like he's going to make much of an impact. And there are dozens of clubs that are looking at players like this so competition is fierce.

And just like that, it was just reported Markelo has moved to PSV.

Scouting is not the main issue but competition. Every half-decent club can afford a tool like Wyscout etc. where you can get all the stats you need and even video clips. So it's much easier to narrow down and that's why every promising player is quickly on the radar of every team.

So the problem is convincing these lads to join Everton instead of a dozen other suitors, most with much better records developing youngsters.

I don’t think any reserve team would beat a championship team to be fair. This is proved each year with the U23s playing 3rd and 4th tier teams. 

Not saying that was our reserves, but it was mostly made up of bench players at best. And let’s face it, we had the better chances.

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

report says we wanted to sign him but the higher ups at everton didn't.  i wonder is that an indictment on Brands or someone else.  

It actually says, "It’s understood that some staff at Goodison Park actually wanted Jebbison signed back then but people higher up at Everton chose not to strike a deal" which is a completely meaningless statement as it doesn't quantify where the line between the "staff" and the "higher ups" was drawn (maybe Jimmy Martin thought it was a good idea but nobody else did). Also anything starting with "It's understood" means the writer has no source, and no idea.

When you interpret that as "we" wanted to sign him who exactly are you thinking "we" were?

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

I don’t think any reserve team would beat a championship team to be fair. This is proved each year with the U23s playing 3rd and 4th tier teams. 

Not saying that was our reserves, but it was mostly made up of bench players at best. And let’s face it, we had the better chances.

Bar man city, chelsea and those who have stupidly good depth.

36 minutes ago, MikeO said:

It actually says, "It’s understood that some staff at Goodison Park actually wanted Jebbison signed back then but people higher up at Everton chose not to strike a deal" which is a completely meaningless statement as it doesn't quantify where the line between the "staff" and the "higher ups" was drawn (maybe Jimmy Martin thought it was a good idea but nobody else did). Also anything starting with "It's understood" means the writer has no source, and no idea.

When you interpret that as "we" wanted to sign him who exactly are you thinking "we" were?

it always amazes me the rather poor standards of journalism in your country.  what's even more sad is that i was fooled by them  :( thanks mike, the bit you say on the "it's understood" is fascinating to me.  essentially the whole article is made up, without a source, just a journo pontificating.  i can't believe that is acceptable over there.  i'm not saying america is the bastion of quality journalism (it's not), but there at least has to be a credible source, and depending on the publication, multiple credible sources that are vetted.  fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  i'm in the latter on this one.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...