• Vitaliy Mykolenko
    • Alex Iwobi
    • Amadou Onana
    • Idrissa Gana Gueye
    • Anthony Gordon
    • Demarai Gray
    • Neal Maupay

On 19/09/2022 at 06:30, BedfordBlue said:

Is the Begovic vote being deleted as a joke vote guy never had anything to do for most of the game 

No, no, not a joke vote.  Possibly wrongheaded, of course.

Though ..... in the match thread I posted that “Begović made some important saves, too,” which was upvoted by 5, apparently similarly deluded, TT-ers.  Now, these 5 muddleheads — I name them not, to save them from guilt-by-association — cannot be held responsible for my ghastly faux pas.

May I have a cigarette before facing the firing squad?  And an Alex Iwobi signature jersey, for my sins and as I breathe my last?

8 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

No, no, not a joke vote.  Possibly wrongheaded, of course.

Though ..... in the match thread I posted that “Begović made some important saves, too,” which was upvoted by 5, apparently similarly deluded, TT-ers.  Now, these 5 muddleheads — I name them not, to save them from guilt-by-association — cannot be held responsible for my ghastly faux pas.

May I have a cigarette before facing the firing squad?  And an Alex Iwobi signature jersey, for my sins and as I breathe my last?

I almost voted for him. You have to be mentally tough to step into a game like that after sitting on the bench for months and keep a clean sheet. He deserves his vote. 

20 minutes ago, StevO said:

Not as mentally tough as Elston Gunn was to vote for him! 😂

More like just “ mental.”

Which almost led me to ask whether you Brits, like Americans, use “mental” as slang for “crazy.”  Almost.  For, as I thought about it, I began to think probably “mental” is actually British slang that we Americans have adopted over time.

I could look it up in my handy guide, Norman W. Schur’s thorough and thoroughly hilarious British English A to Zed.  Highly recommended.  I’ve learned, seriously, that we Yanks have in recent decades adopted quite a few Britisms.

5 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

More like just “ mental.”

Which almost led me to ask whether you Brits, like Americans, use “mental” as slang for “crazy.”  Almost.  For, as I thought about it, I began to think probably “mental” is actually British slang that we Americans have adopted over time.

I could look it up in my handy guide, Norman W. Schur’s thorough and thoroughly hilarious British English A to Zed.  Highly recommended.  I’ve learned, seriously, that we Yanks have in recent decades adopted quite a few Britisms.

The opposite really we would say crazy as slang for mental, but over the country there will be a multitude of definitions for someone who is mental. 

9 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

I’ve learned, seriously, that we Yanks have in recent decades adopted quite a few Britisms.

When I’m out with my wife she now say “can I get a …” instead of “can I have a …” and it absolutely does my head in. You damn Yanks ruining our language!!! I should never have taken her to the states. 

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

The word “get” might be, I never made out otherwise, but the use of it in a request is just a lack of manners. 

I was quoting my English teacher from school. Almost the exact comment was made as yours, and he made clear that using "get" is as British English as it gets. Now, as for manners, I can't say.

Just now, Cornish Steve said:

I was quoting my English teacher from school. Almost the exact comment was made as yours, and he made clear that using "get" is as British English as it gets. Now, as for manners, I can't say.

Back when you were in school they would say “can I get” instead of “can I have”?

You’ve finally convinced me that Cornwall is another country after all. 😂 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Back when you were in school they would say “can I get” instead of “can I have”?

You’ve finally convinced me that Cornwall is another country after all. 😂 

Steve is the same age as me fucking old, but I don’t remember get being taught or used in the context being discussed.