IGNORED

Newcastle (Away) 2nd April

Romey 1878

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

It’s just too many players who lack real technical ability on the ball. Onana is best of them and a midfield with him, Gomes & Garner could move the ball nicely but Gana showed up today defensively. We just need players to start doing it consistently.

This is why it’s a tough decision. All of our central midfielders actually aren’t bad, it’s just hard to figure out how to mesh the skill sets, especially when factoring in that our strikers haven’t been finishing so that skill becomes a premium and it’s hard to rationalize not playing doucoure. 

I personally want to see onana Gomes and doucoure, but I’m not totally sure what the right combo is. 

Just read through all the commentary/comments in this thread. My goodness, our resident chuckle brothers were in fine voice! :) I'm so glad Young won us the penalty, which happened when we started playing better after timely and appropriate substitutions. Way to go Everton for a gutsy performance and to Sean Dyche for making smart decisions.

Can we get out of this negative funk? Sometimes these threads make for depressing reading.

8 minutes ago, Btay said:

It’s just too many players who lack real technical ability on the ball. Onana is best of them and a midfield with him, Gomes & Garner could move the ball nicely but Gana showed up today defensively. We just need players to start doing it consistently.

Just listened to Ped on toffeetv talking about Onana like people don't understand football. "Go look at his numbers". 

I did..... they reek of a player who is coasting. Lost most of his duels, lost possession 5 times.  The one I noticed was shocking, tried a stupid short pass outside our area and nearly got punished. 

he plays like he's a veteran who just wants to sit back and play tidy passes..... we're in the shit amadou and we need you to actually put some towards in. 

garner and Gomes looked like they were giving us a bit more  

8 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Just read through all the commentary/comments in this thread. My goodness, our resident chuckle brothers were in fine voice! :) I'm so glad Young won us the penalty, which happened when we started playing better after timely and appropriate substitutions. Way to go Everton for a gutsy performance and to Sean Dyche for making smart decisions.

Can we get out of this negative funk? Sometimes these threads make for depressing reading.

So you didn't watch the game but you are commenting on what other people were saying? I'll give you the stats 

17/25 passes. 68% - shite, gave it away when we had chance to do things

3/9 ground duels won...2/6 aerial.

lost possession 15 times. 

but yeah a Newcastle player decided to headlock him for no reason and got a penalty.

He was poor as expected.  

10 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Just listened to Ped on toffeetv talking about Onana like people don't understand football. "Go look at his numbers". 

I did..... they reek of a player who is coasting. Lost most of his duels, lost possession 5 times.  The one I noticed was shocking, tried a stupid short pass outside our area and nearly got punished. 

he plays like he's a veteran who just wants to sit back and play tidy passes..... we're in the shit amadou and we need you to actually put some towards in. 

To be fair that short pass he gave away, he was given a hot pass in a tight area. I think Onana looked the most likely at the start to try and dominate the game. If we can get him going at his best, a midfield of Onana, Garner & Gomes could really dominate. I hope we start with those 3 against Burnley. If we are chasing a result, throw Doucoure on for the chaos balls in to the box because he has a real knack for a chance falling to him.

17 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I haven’t seen full stats posted yet, but this just can’t be true. Felt like he was the only one winning the ball back and playing balls forward without tripping over his own feet.

8 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

I haven’t seen full stats posted yet, but this just can’t be true. Felt like he was the only one winning the ball back and playing balls forward without tripping over his own feet.

I was very disappointed to see him go off.

I don't think he was brilliant but he was far from deserving to be substituted.

19 minutes ago, Btay said:

To be fair that short pass he gave away, he was given a hot pass in a tight area. I think Onana looked the most likely at the start to try and dominate the game. If we can get him going at his best, a midfield of Onana, Garner & Gomes could really dominate. I hope we start with those 3 against Burnley. If we are chasing a result, throw Doucoure on for the chaos balls in to the box because he has a real knack for a chance falling to him.

I see a player who's checked out if I'm honest. 

12 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

2 tackles and 1 interception mate. 

he focuses too much on looking the part rather than grabbing the game. Lost the ball 5 times.   Doesn't do enough for me, not with that physique and athleticism. Not when you look at what Declan rice was doing for West Ham. 

he's way too passive for me. 

3 hours ago, Hafnia said:

2 tackles and 1 interception mate. 

he focuses too much on looking the part rather than grabbing the game. Lost the ball 5 times.   Doesn't do enough for me, not with that physique and athleticism. Not when you look at what Declan rice was doing for West Ham. 

he's way too passive for me. 

So, in essence, a midfield version of Lukaku. 

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I was very disappointed to see him go off.

I don't think he was brilliant but he was far from deserving to be substituted.

Agree.

I do see what you are seeing to an extent Haf, my issue with Onana is on the occasion when he is trotting back to defend a counter attack. This guy seriously could run a midfield on his own.

My opinion, in the first 15 or so minutes, he seemed like the only player in our team having a go. 

7 hours ago, Matt Tiger said:

I think looks deceive slightly, he was the better of Doucoure and Gana in the midfield area and that’s what caught the eye and made him standout.  Having said that I would rather play him as a more holding midfielder with Gomes and Garner, I think he would hold his position better than Gana who still drifts all over the pitch, plus he has more strength and ability when in possession than Gana. 
The one thing Gana still has over him is the ability to win the ball back more often, but even Gana’s stats are very average now, 4-5 seasons ago he was a round the top of the league in that department, but age comes to all of us eventually and it’s definitely caught up with Gana. 
So for them reasons I would Go with Gomes, Garner, and Onana over Gana, also when fit I would like to see Danjuma replace McNeil who I thought was our worst player last night, his contribution on the ball was poor and his work rate wasn’t good enough, he’s definitely becoming the weakest link in the team. 

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

So, in essence, a midfield version of Lukaku. 

Well if you look at the "watch him go when he leaves Everton" comments then yes.

He will leave, he's playing like he's leaving. Will he become this world class player? - no.  

I hate to use Gerrard as an example but physically and athletically he could do what Gerrard did for Liverpool for us.  He's clocked the highest top speed for a midfielder this season - he's literally a gazelle, he can tackle, he can pass, he's strong, he should dominate the air.  Can't shoot but I'd have thought he would practice that.... 

ultimately we don't see it. We don't see it cos it's not in him. Simple as that. 

• Everton remain winless in 13 Premier League games (D5 L8), only once in their league history have they gone more consecutive games without a win, a run of 14 in September 1937.

• Alexander Isak has scored in each of his past five Premier League home games for Newcastle, only Alan Shearer (15), Andrew Cole (eight) and Les Ferdinand (six) have scored in more consecutive games in the competition for the Magpies at St James’ Park.

• Harvey Barnes has been directly involved in three goals (two goals, one assist) in his past two Premier League games, as many as in his first 11 in the competition for Newcastle, while all six of his goal involvements for the Magpies have come at St James’ Park.

• Newcastle's Alexander Isak scored his 25th Premier League goal, only Sebastian Larsson (26) and Freddie Ljungberg (48) have scored more in the competition among Swedish players.

• Everton's Dominic Calvert-Lewin scored his first Premier League goal since October, ending a run of 18 matches and 41 shots in the competition before converting his 88th minute penalty against Newcastle. He's netted more goals in the competition against Newcastle (six) than any against any other opponent.

38 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Well if you look at the "watch him go when he leaves Everton" comments then yes.

He will leave, he's playing like he's leaving. Will he become this world class player? - no.  

I hate to use Gerrard as an example but physically and athletically he could do what Gerrard did for Liverpool for us.  He's clocked the highest top speed for a midfielder this season - he's literally a gazelle, he can tackle, he can pass, he's strong, he should dominate the air.  Can't shoot but I'd have thought he would practice that.... 

ultimately we don't see it. We don't see it cos it's not in him. Simple as that. 

Onana? Top speed out of any midfielder or just ours? Honestly wouldn't have thought he was pacey. Which kinda says it all.

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Special mention to "Jill Scott" Burn - how every set piece wasn't a free kick to us is beyond me.    What an absolute yard dog he is - just wants to slap hands and wrestle 

Totally agree, he was all over Branthwaite on every free kick or corner, looked like a fucking windmill in a gale, how its not picked up by officials is amazing.

3 hours ago, Newty82 said:

Onana? Top speed out of any midfielder or just ours? Honestly wouldn't have thought he was pacey. Which kinda says it all.

Yep.... he can shift. The fact you are surprised says it all - he doesn't do it often enough to notice.

seen him pick up the ball and drive once - impressive, genuine ability to break the lines.  Not seen it since. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Yep.... he can shift. The fact you are surprised says it all - he doesn't do it often enough to notice.

seen him pick up the ball and drive once - impressive, genuine ability to break the lines.  Not seen it since. 

Are you sure it wasn’t imagined 😜

2 hours ago, Boston Toffee said:

Normally when we draw it feels like a loss. Yesterday's draw almost felt like a win. A bit of a gift..

Pickford was excellent.

Gana was good.

Dom at least scored.

Myko was decent.

I'm trying to be positive.

The momentum was with us once we scored, a win would have been wonderful, but the point is more than most would have expected before kick off and even at the start of the season.