IGNORED

What Are You Watching?

Pat

Wanted

I really liked this film. I thought that it delivered many things, it had a good story, great action and, above all, a great twist which made this film even better. I didn't really expect this to be that good, I just expected a lot of action really, and some shitty storyline to go along with it, that's all, but I was very wrong.

Except for the first scene, the beginning wasn't really very exciting, it just introduced some characters and showed the every day life the main character. It evolved, however, into a much greater film. The effects in this film were absolutely brilliant. Every now and then there would be a slow motion effect in an action scene, which looked absolutely badass, as if the action scene alone wasn't badass enough. The gunfights were truly spectacular, even though outrageously far-fetched.

The story was not bad too. It wasn't really great, but it all slowly but surely built up to the great, if not a little predictable, twist. The acting was mediocre, I'd say, on everyone's behalf, even Morgan Freeman's and Angelina Jolie's. The music was alright too, wasn't anything special.

The effects and the action scenes definitely made it for me, though. They were so great that I eventually forgot about the little things that slightly ruined the movie and was eager to see more of it. If you're a fan of amazing but very unrealistic action, then I recommend you watch this movie.

So, 8/10

TDK

I watched Dark Knight again last night. The story seems to change everytime I watch that film, every time I see something new that reveals something about the characters. One of the reasons I like the movie so much is because the characters really have a good background story and fit well into the film. No-one is just thrown in and its all been thought through well. Even though everyone says it now, it still should be said when reviewing the film. Heath Ledger’s performance is mind-blowing. He’s cracked the key to being the Joker and had he been alive would have made many more amazing Batman films.

You’ve probably all seen it so I wont bother telling you the storyline etc.. I just thought that I would tell you what I watched, because that’s the name of the thread.

10/10

^I watched the first and second series of that Mike and enjoyed them. I didn't watch the episode last night due to not having E4 in my room and the Quizcom being played over on Dave. Tonight will be the same for me. Dave is unmissable now.

QI

Mock The Week

Never Mind The Buzzcocks

The only problem tonight is that Alex Zane's RudeTube 2009 is on tonight on BBC2, so I don't know what to watch. :(

Van Helsing

If you're a fan of old monster movies, James Bond and Indiana Jones flicks, and over-the-top humor in an action/horror movie, then you get it. I guess if you're looking for a summer action flick that takes itself too seriously, then you're out of luck with this one.

I admit that the film runs a little to long, the chemistry between Beckinsale and Jackman leaves something to be desired, and the Frankenstein "monster" (though well-intentioned to give a nod to "Young Frankenstein") is really annoying. But the entertainment spawning from the hokey fun that "Van Helsing" is all about, makes these flaws so forgivable.

For me, I'll take the over-acting screaming Brides of Dracula, the silly homages to dozens of classic action and horror movies, the cheesy one-liners, and the not-so-convincing special effects. Isn't that what monster movies are all about?

8/10

Edited by dark

I watched Role Models and Sex Drive over the weekend. Role Models is amazing, laughed all the way through it, Sex Drive is alright but is another teen movie which doesnt match up to superbad / american pie.

I want to watch that Role Models. I might do soon, as for Sex Drive its getting mixed reviews. People are saying what you said Aaron. Another film trying to immitate American Pie and well, failing.

Another film last night from me.

Chopper

Just watched this again tonight. A very enjoyable movie even if the whole subject was handled a bit ham handed, but that's part of it's charm. Like the man himself; it's a bit rough around the edges but it's got a good soul.

For anyone who hasn't already seen it the basic premise is that of a man who sees himself as some sort of 'for the greater good', vigilante-esque, sociopath. It starts with him in prison, for one of his many bad deeds, which is where we first get introduced to the strong black humour which is the main focus of the majority of the film. There are some truly great scenes throughout the movie, such as Chopper trying to convince some officers that the man they've found dead was shot by him however much they try to argue against it, which climaxes in his pulling out a sawed off shotgun in the middle of a bar and fabricating some ridiculous story.

Eric Bana plays a great character in it, his stand-up roots serve him perfectly. Although the film is billed as 'based on a true story', you pretty much feel that the majority of the story is bullshit.

I love the film even if some of it seems below par for the rest of the film.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...

Another film last night :)

The Bank Job

Well... At least I can say I saw one movie with Jason Statham in it were I didn't think he was going to kill everyone in the room. While I felt that Eastern Promises had too little plot, this one had too much. Overall didn't care for it in the sense that it seemed like it wasn't really a robbery done by trained professionals, just more like some random Brits that didn't have anything else going on that evening. But still was ok I guess

so I give it

8/10

Edited by dark

Outlander

In this low budget scifi/fantasy-actioneer Jim Caviezel (from that torture flick Mel Gibson made) plays an alien (named Kainan) with surprisingly human looks.

Kainan arrives to the Scandinavian parts of Earth during the time of the Vikings, and brings with him an alien monster, known as a Morwen (think "dragon" here).

The entire flick basically turns into a Beowulf/Grendel style story with sword fights and all that jazz...

There's another main character, Wulfric, who is played by a dude named Jack Huston, who is clearly a poor man's Karl Urban, and a chick who is clearly channelling Miranda Otto as a typical Eowyn character (called Freya in this).

We also have John Hurt as King Rothgar of Wulfric's village, and Ron Perlman as the King of a rivalling village, Gunnar.

As far as low budget "B-movies" go, this is quite entertaining, but I guess it doesn't hurt that I'm a whore for science fiction and fantasy.

The effects are, as the "low budget" stamp I've given this movie implies, not amazing, but I think they work, even though they often look like the graphics you'd see in current day high end game-cutscenes ("It looks like a video game" is becoming less and less of an insult to movie-effects every year that passes it would seem).

All in all a fun couple of hours, though clearly nothing too brilliant.

7/10

Slumdog Millionaire

No spoilers, will keep it short

Defo worth a watch, most fascinating parts I thought were seeing how he grew up and what they had to go through when the were really young. Not the best film in the world and dont expect it to blow you away, this is though a very entertaining film

7.5-10

I watched three films with the girlfriend last night.

The first one was Burn After Reading. What an absolutely pointless film that was, a complete load of shit.

The second film I was forced to watch - Twilight. It actually wasn't a bad film, not as bad as I thought it'd be anyway.

We also watched Seven Pounds. This was easily the best film we watched. I thought it was excellent and I don't like Will Smith at all. My girlfriend was crying at the end of it :lol: .

The Terminator

A great film, one of few you can Schwarzenegger seriously as an actor in. Although the cheesy 80s soundtrack and animation of the Terminator let it down somewhat by modern standards, clearly if you don't expect 2009 graphics and presentation (as I didn't), you'll really enjoy this. It has a great plot, and the Terminator really can be quite terrifying at times; the tension is built really well when he's off screen, and the action sequences when he's on screen are incredibly well done, especially considering they were made in 1984.

8/10

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Even better than the first; the plot, whilst good in T1, comes on in leaps and bounds in this. It's interesting to get such a different perspective on, and find out so much more about the terminator itself, and the plot itself is intelligent and interesting.

I really liked how the fact that the terminator was sent back through time in T1 was what ultimately allowed humanity to develop the technology that caused the war in the first place.

This is Arnie at his finest, with an extremely good cast supporting him. Obviously, the presentation, soundtrack and special effects have come on in leaps and bounds since T1, although they still manage to stay very true to their roots.

9/10

Evertonian theme on the BBC news this morning. First Brian Viner, Independent journo and author talking about his new book....abot 70's TV, not Everton...but he's a staunch Blue (evidence HERE).

Then Jenny Seagrove talking about being on stage...

"It's the most wonderful thing on earth.....apart from scoring a goal for Everton!" :D

Burn after reading : incredibly funny, absurd and intelligent movie .. great cast ... not as good as Fargo, but just as good as Oh Brother where Art Thou (another Coen brothers masterpiece).

9/10 ... Coen brothers quite possibly have never made a bad movie.. admirable.

Edited by holystove

Burn after reading : incredibly funny, absurd and intelligent movie .. great cast ... not as good as Fargo, but just as good as Oh Brother where Art Thou (another Coen brothers masterpiece).

9/10 ... Coen brothers quite possibly have never made a bad movie.. admirable.

I thought Burn After Reading was a poor film myself i was expecting alot more as the Coen Brothers are usually very good it had a poor stroyline and one of the worst ending's in a film i have ever seen. Oh Brother Where Art Thou is a great film though if anyone here has not seen it its well worth watching.

Edited by EFC-Paul