IGNORED

Steven Pienaar

Good signing IMO, now he is onboard, does this mean we are not getting Vogel or are we gonna get both? can anyone clear up the confusion over this lad Pienaars position?

Vogel is a defensive midfielder so it's still possible we might get him, just got to clear up the confusion with his club.

It's not a done deal in my book until the official site says so and it's still saying...

The midfielder will add competition to the Blues squad - and should a work permit be forthcoming he would become Everton's second major new arrival of the summer following the signing of Phil Jagielka from Sheffield United.

According to the beeb, he's only played once for SA.

Edited by MikeO

he's had 23 caps... and 2 goals...his most recent cap was in march

Good.....the beeb must have it wrong...

Everton have agreed to sign Borussia Dortmund's South Africa midfielder Steven Pienaar on a one-year loan deal, BBC Sport understands.

The move is subject to a work permit, with the outcome set to be revealed next week.

Pienaar, who has one international cap, joined Borussia from Ajax last summer when Tomas Rosicky moved to Arsenal.

However, the 25-year-old has struggled at the Bundesliga club and failed to find the net in 25 league appearances.

What I don't get is, why on the Dortmund site does it say "both clubs agreed not to disclose the fee". Is there a fee for loan deals? Or do they mean the agreed fee we will pay if we want him on permy after the season?

Oh and why are so many deals "fee not disclosed"???

It's rumored, that the loan fee is 500.000 € (335.000 £]

Because of the financial history of Borussia Dortmund in the past years, many deals are called "both clubs agreed not to disclose the fee".

If Everton has a option to buy Pienaar after the end of the season, i guess he will cost 2.000.000 £. But i don't know for sure.

Pienaar will be a good signing for the club i think, i'm just interested to see where DM will play him, as there seems to be some confusion over his positon. When i watched him at Ajax he was playing in the middle, but our german friend who posted before seems to think he is a right-sided player, and i've seen it mentioned that he plays on the left.

Pienaar played most of his games at Ajax on the right wing. During the era of Danny Blind, he sometimes played with Sneijder in the midfield. But his home is the right wing. During the past friendly games (Dortmund played against Young Boys Bern and RSC Anderlecht), he was tested on the left side. But that was more an experiment.... Pienaar couldn't get a chance on the right and in the middle. And he wasn't able to convince on this position.

Good signing IMO, now he is onboard, does this mean we are not getting Vogel or are we gonna get both? can anyone clear up the confusion over this lad Pienaars position?

I can say for sure, Vogel and Pienaar have a completely different style to play and different positions.

Edited by Minitrap

Our Midfield is getting better and better now get Manny back on loan :rolleyes:

If Pienaar starts against Wigan im sure it will be either wing tho I cannot see Moyes playing him in the middle, but I think VDM will get his chance 1st game to show what he can do.

i just found this write up about him looks good but has had a bit of a hard time getting over knee ligament damage

Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, on March 17th, 1982, Steven Pienaar is considered one of South Africa’s most promising stars.

While he undoubtedly created an impression when he moved to Europe, joining Dutch club Ajax, many believe the 25-year-old is still to reach his full potential.

Pienaar was groomed from the youth ranks at Ajax Cape Town, the Amsterdam outfit's satellite club in the South African Premier Soccer League which has also produced the likes of South African star striker Benni McCarthy.

At the age of 18, a new era began in Pienaar’s career when he moved to Europe and joined Ajax Amsterdam in the Dutch Eredivisie.

He signed a five-year contract with them and it was then that he started raising eyebrows when he made his way into the first team under the guidance of Coach Ronald Koeman.

Rise To Fame

After joining Ajax Amsterdam in 2001, Pienaar continued to mature in his game and found himself playing among the likes of Rafael van der Vaart and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He emerged as one of the brightest young players and was seen as the new wonder-boy of South African football.

It did not take him long to celebrate triumph with the club. After making eight appearances and scoring once, he was part of the Ajax team that won the Dutch title in the 2001/02 season, the same year they won the national cup.

He then featured in thirty-one games the following season, bagging 5 goals.

Pienaar also played a key role in the club’s Uefa Champions League campaign during the 2002/03 season. He played in 12 Champions League matches and helped the team reach the quarter-finals although his goal at AC Milan could not save Ajax from elimination after a 3-2 defeat.

Things turned sour for the player later on when he suffered nerve damage to his knee and consequently missed five months of action during the 2003/04 season. However, he made sixteen appearances during that season and scored against Roda JC upon his return from injury. He again won the title with Ajax that year.

During the 2004/05 season, Pienaar again picked up a knock, although it was not as severe as in the previous season. He was a regular starter during the first half of the season but then suffered knee ligament damage in February which kept him out for a month. He later returned and helped Ajax win second place in the Dutch Eredivisie.

He made the first team in both legs of the Uefa Champions League third qualifying round win against Brondby IF during the 2005/06 season.

After spending five years with Ajax, Pienaar then made a high profile signing for German Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund in January 2006 on a three-year contract.

By the time he arrived in Dortmund, he was touted as the able replacement for Czech playmaker Tomas Rosicky, who around that time was in talks with Arsenal about a possible transfer that eventually materialized.

Pienaar took the number 10 shirt that used to belong to Rosicky, but he failed to adapt well and impress as many may have expected. He played under three different managers and made twenty-five appearances and was rather unfortunate not to score a goal.

Despite his shortcomings in Germany, the midfielder has great potential, which is why English Premiership club Everton pursued their interest in signing him after several weeks of speculation.

He has now joined the Toffees on a one-year loan, subject to his being granted a work permit. The deal could turn into a permanent move at the end of the season.

A club statement said: "Steven Pienaar has agreed a 12 month loan deal from Borussia Dortmund and will sign subject to a successful application for a work permit."

National Team

Pienaar is one of the key players in Bafana Bafana squad and has made as many as twenty appearances in the team. In 2002, he was in South Africa’s World Cup squad despite not having made any international appearances for the country. He finally made his full international début against Turkey in May 2002 in Hong Kong.

Technical Skills

Pienaar’s good vision and quality on the ball are some of the reasons why he could be branded among the world’s best young players. In 2003, his remarkable performance in the midfield against Arsenal in a Champions League match once again proved his talent, as he helped Ajax secure a 1-1 draw against their opponents at Highbury.

The creative midfielder, marked by his pace, can play in a number of midfield positions but prefers a left-wing role.

Did You Know?

Pienaar’s career reached a high in 2003 when he finished as runner-up to Arjen Robben in the Dutch Young Player of the Year Award.

Particulars

Name:

Steven Pienaar

Date of Birth:

17th March 1982

Nationality:

South African

Height:

1.76m

Weight:

66kg

Position

Midfielder

Season-by-Season Club Career: League Appearances (& Goals)

2001-2002

Ajax Amsterdam

8 (1)

2002-2003

Ajax Amsterdam

31 (5)

2003-2004

Ajax Amsterdam

16 (3)

2004-2005

Ajax Amsterdam

24 (4)

2005-2006

Ajax Amsterdam

15 (2)

2006-2007

Borussia Dortmund

25 (0)

Edited by KillaGTiR

I wouldn't say to much problem

4 months out 03/04 and

1 month out 04/05

not exactley a ongoing history of injury.

Good signing in my book when you consider what some clubs are paying for players.

Hasn't done to well in Germany, under three different managers, but that is why he is on loan for 12 months with an option to buy (£2.5M I have read somewhere). Try before you buy - can't beat it to be honest. Emm didn't we bring a certain Arteta to the club under similar circumstances, he'd had a poor to average year or so before coming to Everton? Now a top class Prem midfeilder

Before going to Germany was a very hot prospect, so must have some footballing talent.

Has got a fair amount of European experience, so that will come in handy next season.

Can't lose to be honest - so has to go down as a good signing.

I agree Rob. You can never tell what a player will do when he signs for you. All you have to do is look at Beattie and Davies for one side and Cahill and Arteta for the other.

Its a loan deal so if does not work out all we have lost are his wages and if does well then £2.5m is not a bad price these days.

I think its a win win situation.

Has he joined up with the rest of the squad yet or are we waiting on this?

Im sure the squad are on the way back from USA later this week so would be a waste of time

where did you hear that? Please don't say NSNO....

:lol::lol::lol: I hate them

Has he joined up with the rest of the squad yet or are we waiting on this?

he has joined up with the squad and is now with them at there training camp (i think there in LA now)

where did you hear that? Please don't say NSNO....

no im just guessing :P

cant be far off as it sed on the official website we should find out early this week on his work permit so its tuesday and after today i wouldnt really class it as early in the week ;)

Yep, he is there in the middle next to Anchiebe

efc__1185230179_beachpalms.jpg

Is that John Ruddy walking by Howard or has Eidur Gudjohnson decided to come on tour with us... he looks a dead-ringer - so much so that I'm not entirely certain, nor is my mate I've just rang at work! It looks even more like eidur on the 5th photo on the OS - have a look! Is is ruddy or is it not even him??? - as Ruddys not even meant to be on the tour...

Edited by c1982