IGNORED

Can Everton win the league?

I don't think you will, but the article is built on sound principles, and I particularly agree with points one and five. I've alluded to point one on here a few times, and in fact Lukaku as an individual embodies what you showed as a team the other day - he/you are capable of getting the job done even when playing below your usual standard.

Point five is a great one and something which I feel is overlooked in football - a lack of fear in football can be something which makes all the difference. It can make players less hesitant and more likely to try things. It can be the difference between pulling off a great pass, finding the net or hitting the corner flag etc. You are playing with the shackles off and have a very nice run of games over the next twelve weeks or so. In saying that, I'd expect you to drop points in some of them as that's how football works.

I think Man City will prove to be too strong, but I don't think any of the other teams have played better football than you on the whole. There's some comments along the lines of you 'lacking money or the players', but football doesn't always work like that: the game isn't played on paper or in a bank. Being a cohesive team which works well is worth far more than those things.

Purely from an entertainment standpoint, the teams I've enjoyed watching most so far this season are Man City, Everton, Arsenal and Liverpool. I'd have no problems with those clubs comprising the top four if they maintain their level.

If I was to bet I would say you will finish 3rd - 5th. The smaller squad may prove to hurt any title aspirations in the long term. However, other than Man City the other teams aren't that strong in comparison to previous seasons so now is the perfect time to take advantage.

Edited by Nikica

Of course we can because we're only four points off the top of the table approaching the half way point of the season....and an alien looking at the table with no point of reference other than that would say we have a decent chance.

But we won't.....bookies have us at 33/1 which is about right. Decent December/January though and 3rd/4th is not beyond us.

If we could turn some of the draws we are getting into the wins then maybe. We drew against Norwich and Cardiff which we really should have won. Every manager has a rough patch through a season when they will lose to the likes ot Palace and then morale goes down. I do think we can get 4th - 5th place but lets see how the rest of the season pans out. COYB! :)

Can we win it? yes. We have proven that by the way we have played against the top teams.

Will we win it? no I don't think so.

Our squad lacks depth, injuries are inevitable. If we take out any two from Howard, Jags, Barry, McCarthy, Lukaku, Baines then I fear any of the top 8 will be a tough opponent. I think we seen this against Fulham (Baines and McCarthy) - still good but just lack that edge.

When the big boys get injuries they can cover them far easier.

Lets see what Bob has in store for January though...

Draws to wins, we could have.

We're two injuries away from not being our best...at the moment, we've been lucky by not having them.

Exhaustion may play a part later on, if Lukaku gets injured, we've not got the resources to replace him. If Barry gets injured or cant play(Man City) we look week in the middle. If Jags/Distin get injured (god forbid) will Stones be able to step in and keep us aloft?

I think we'll get Europa and i'd be happy. Small steps of progression, lead to bigger rewards. Too much too soon can affect you in more ways than just league position.

My lad just asked me a difficult one.

Given the choice, what would you take....

Finish fourth or finish fifth and win the FA Cup?

Winning a trophy would be special but potentially Champs League money could be game changing.

I'm really not sure....head v heart stuff.

My lad just asked me a difficult one.

Given the choice, what would you take....

Finish fourth or finish fifth and win the FA Cup?

Winning a trophy would be special but potentially Champs League money could be game changing.

I'm really not sure....head v heart stuff.

We could finish fourth and blow it in the qualifiers again, but I think it would make too much of a difference to us financially if we could qualify for the Champions League so I think I would go for that

4th is only CL qualifiers stage, not the group stages (is 4th is even a place this season?) so money isnt guaranteed until we get there.

Still a tricky question either way. I'd rather finish top 3 and win the FA Cup ;)

The top 4 is always the CL places. Well it will be while our coefficient is high enough.

Only because of the rule change that came about due to us finishing fourth and the shite finishing outside the CL places but winning the CL that season, meaning England had an extra club. Otherwise the places just go to the top 4 in the league.

Anyone else horribly afraid that we will get fourth and Moyes will continue his lucky draws (Olympiakos, Shaktar etc.) to win the things and knock us into the Europa? Would cry....

And no, we have the potential to be close to winning the league, but as was mentioned above, two injuries and we are looking very thin. On any given day we can beat any team, but over the course of the season, I cannot see us toppling City in particular.

Anyone else horribly afraid that we will get fourth and Moyes will continue his lucky draws (Olympiakos, Shaktar etc.) to win the things and knock us into the Europa? Would cry....

And no, we have the potential to be close to winning the league, but as was mentioned above, two injuries and we are looking very thin. On any given day we can beat any team, but over the course of the season, I cannot see us toppling City in particular.

if that happens...i will find you

We would need to win all our home games, the Anfield Derby and probably the Chelsea game. I expect a lot of draws between the other contenders and Liverpool. If we are still around the top four in April I might start thinking we could go all the way. Whatever happens I have had more fun these last four months under Matinez than the last four years under the Wizard.