IGNORED

Relegation Battle!

jrossiter

Agree with the 10 games shout. However, if we're still tangled up at the bottom with 10 games to go, surely it's time to get rid of a manager who's already suffered relegation just over 18 months ago.

That's a different conversation all together. And the same people will have opposite thoughts on it!!!

Ooooooh....I can't resist....Ok. For me, no. The only reason I'd want a change, the very only reason, would be if we were in the bottom 3 and looking knee deep in shit. And that's simply because I think financially, relegation would be disastrous. I wouldn't sack any other time. IF we stay down there until the last ball has been kicked this season and then at the half way point next season we are in the same position, then yes, he would have to go. Because then he would have shown no learning curve or adaptability etc.

At the moment, he is a young manager learning his trade at a new level. How often has an Everton Manager successfully juggled Europe and the league in the Premiership era? But that's not my 'for' argument. The fact he is only 41, still learning, has a sound footballing philosophy and seems to have a vision for the future is my 'for' argument. But we'll see...17 games to go. 51 points up for grabs. And the Europa.

Guest rusty747

Howard Kendall managed The League, The Cup Winners Cup and an FA Cup Final in the same season. The league was over 42 games and he had a smaller squad.

That's a different conversation all together. And the same people will have opposite thoughts on it!!!

Ooooooh....I can't resist....Ok. For me, no. The only reason I'd want a change, the very only reason, would be if we were in the bottom 3 and looking knee deep in shit. And that's simply because I think financially, relegation would be disastrous. I wouldn't sack any other time. IF we stay down there until the last ball has been kicked this season and then at the half way point next season we are in the same position, then yes, he would have to go. Because then he would have shown no learning curve or adaptability etc.

At the moment, he is a young manager learning his trade at a new level. How often has an Everton Manager successfully juggled Europe and the league in the Premiership era? But that's not my 'for' argument. The fact he is only 41, still learning, has a sound footballing philosophy and seems to have a vision for the future is my 'for' argument. But we'll see...17 games to go. 51 points up for grabs. And the Europa.

Howard Kendall managed The League, The Cup Winners Cup and an FA Cup Final in the same season. The league was over 42 games and he had a smaller squad.

As I said, 'Premiership Era'...as in, not the era when we were tipped to go on and dominate Europe with one of our best ever teams. If it wasn't for that 5 year ban of course...the last 25-30 years may have been a totally different story.

Agree with the 10 games shout. However, if we're still tangled up at the bottom with 10 games to go, surely it's time to get rid of a manager who's already suffered relegation just over 18 months ago.

Very simplistic stat wouldn't you say - especially when 12 months after that he took Everton to their highest Premier League points finish and knocked on the door of Champions league... having won the FA Cup with Wigan. Wigan are a lower level championship funded side at best, fior a while Whelan tried to throw money at it and thats why you get Jewell and Bruce clouding the perception of the job Martinez did.

Martinez reduced Wigans expediture by 25% - in Everton terms that is like getting rid of Jagielka, Baines, Mirallas, Lukaku and McCarthy and having kids come through... and then expecting to maintain the same finishes give or take a couple of places.

Taking Wigan down and calling someone a poor manager is not too dismilar for criticising someone for not being able to swin with a ruck sack full of bricks on their back.

Howard Kendall was one game away from the sack in Jan 1984 just under 2 years after he took over the club. Ironically 31 years ago this Sunday we were 18th just above drop zone - he was moments away from getting the sack after trailing 1-0 to Oxford, Heath equalised and we went on and improved - pretty much the same players went on to win the league, fa cup, ECWC.

Pretty apt I think.

For me, honestly, it becomes a relegation battle if we are still only 3 points clear with 10 or less games to go. I know that I usually pay more attention to it from game 30. Talk of a relegation battle have been going on for at least 5 or 6 games. Which is ridiculous.

I know the season so far has been shite, but I always said we'll come strong the 2nd half of the season. That's my true belief. On that one, we have to wait and see.

I know about the stats, and they are quite daunting and startling actually. The biggest one we talk about is goals conceded. 34 now. But let's not forget that 10 of those were in the first 3 games, those games I think, set us up for the season so far. Unfortunately.

I'm not sticking my head in the sand. And thinking of it in any other way also won't make it go away, would it?! Look, we see things differently. Your naturally very pessimistic. I'm not. I find your approach a tad frustrating, you no doubt find mine bemusing, frustrating etc. Different people and all that. And that's ok.

Ha ha one minute Im a happy clapper the next Im naturally very pessimistic! Oh well I suppose if you have supported Everton for as long as I have they will do that to you

I would agree that its too early to start panicking just yet but to dismiss relegation out of hand as you appear to be doing is slightly bemusing.

The performances in the last 3 games have provided a bit of light at the end of the tunnel and I really do hope this means we have turned the corner but there is going to have to be a drastic improvement in every department if we are to keep out of the relegation scrap. There always seems to be a team that gets sucked into it and at the moment we are perilously close to becoming that team

Ha ha one minute Im a happy clapper the next Im naturally very pessimistic! Oh well I suppose if you have supported Everton for as long as I have they will do that to you

I would agree that its too early to start panicking just yet but to dismiss relegation out of hand as you appear to be doing is slightly bemusing.

The performances in the last 3 games have provided a bit of light at the end of the tunnel and I really do hope this means we have turned the corner but there is going to have to be a drastic improvement in every department if we are to keep out of the relegation scrap. There always seems to be a team that gets sucked into it and at the moment we are perilously close to becoming that team

Ha! You know, I was thinking after I write that before that you've probably been an Evertonian for a long time so may have some battle scars!

It feels horrible looking at the Premiership fixtures this morning and needing the bottom 3 to all lose and Man Utd and the Shite to win, lol definitely feels like were in a relegation scrap at the moment!

Doesn't it just, and as I said in a different thread, a win moves us nowhere, we're marooned where we are at present.

We can't move up with awin but we can drop down with a defeat.

Very real situation.

As per my post in the Martinez thread.

McCarthy needs to get back. Quite simply we miss his energy and ability to turn the ball over. The goals conceded isn't too much different and that is probably skewed by the 6 conceded against Chelsea but they are what they are.

I agree that we stand a better chance of getting out of this mess with him than without him but I think the key to us turning our season around is keeping Kevin Mirallas fit and firing on all cylinders. He is our only creative player at the moment

Guest rusty747

As things stand, we are now 14th as Burnley are beating Palace and Villa are drawing with Liverpool. If ever we needed two wins on the bounce it is right now.

Edited by rusty747

Genuine question for those who see us in a relegation battle...

At what point, in your mind, would you say we are no longer in a relegation battle? Is it by position? Or by amount of points away from the bottom 3? What's your parameter?

I don't think we're there yet (though we're plainly not far off it) but, as I've said before; in seasons past when our first aim was always survival I was "happy" when we had more points than games played, and worried when we didn't. So if we'd played twenty-five and got twenty-seven points I'd think "It's OK, we can now afford to lose the next two."

Guest rusty747

I like your style Newty!

Palace are now on a roll so realistically from our next few games I. Expect/hope

WBA Win

Palace Draw

Liverpool Draw

Chelsea Lose

Leicester Win

Arsenal Lose

That would leave us played 27, points 30 which is not great but should be enough to keep us out of the relegation scrap. But we simply must beat WBA and Leicester, and hopefully Palace.

It could all go horribly wrong of course and if WBA get a point and we then getbeat at a resurgent Palace then we would be well and truly in the mire.

So, next two games are imho the most important of the season.

Genuine question for those who see us in a relegation battle...

At what point, in your mind, would you say we are no longer in a relegation battle? Is it by position? Or by amount of points away from the bottom 3? What's your parameter?

Would you say Nurnley were in a regation battle? Because if they had won today they would have gone above us.

Whats to say we wont be as bad this half of the season as we were last?

Not possible? Course it's not ?

Would you say Nurnley were in a regation battle? Because if they had won today they would have gone above us.

Whats to say we wont be as bad this half of the season as we were last?

Not possible? Course it's not ?

Was that supposed to answer my genuine question?!

'Nurnley' (ha...Fat fingered git!!!)...I've said previously I don't really look at it that deeply until around game 30. Same for top 6, top 4 and the title. Too much can change, so to me it's pointless. Obviously, at the start of the season I guess who will struggle at the bottom and who will be at the top come the END of the season. The only thing I'll concede is that top 4 has gone but not top 6.

For this season I would say when we are mathematically safe

Ai. Fair do. Although that makes a lot of teams involved in a relegation scrap.

If we are down there, 3 or even only 6 points clear at around game 30...then I will definitely start looking more closely and paying attention to who might climb above us etc. I mean, that stuff is going on today and we ain't even kicked a ball!!!

Tell you what, that Bournemouth look tasty under Eddie Howe. Should get promoted to the Premiership this season.

Glad we won't have to play them next season!!! :67:

(How do you insert that strawberry throwing, ducking smiley?!!!)

Edited by MikeO
Done

Tell you what, that Bournemouth look tasty under Eddie Howe. Should get promoted to the Premiership this season.

Glad we won't have to play them next season!!! :67:

(How do you insert that strawberry throwing, ducking smiley?!!!)

I always thought of it as a tomato.