IGNORED

Relegation Battle!

jrossiter

Because I simply believe we are not in as much trouble as you think we are.

I belive we're a better team than our position tells. And that we are starting to claw our way back I to form

Some look down some look up. I just tend to be optimistic that's all.

I suppose that is the whole crux of the matter, personally I think we have been crap all season and deserve to be exactly where we are in the league

4 of our remaining 11 games are against teams below us. 2 away (QPR and Villa) 2 at home (Burnley and Sunlun).

Unless we take a minimum of 8 points from those 4 games we will be relegated.

Our other games are Stoke, Swansea, West Ham (away) Newcastle, Man Utd, Southampton, Spurs (home). We are shite at home and have 3 of the current top 7 to play at home.

We have to beat the teams below us or we will be relegated as I see us picking up 4 points from our other 7 games.

Edited by Cake

If any on here think that we are not in a relegation battle they are sadly deluded. Sure, we are 6 points ahead....that's 2 losses. Will we win or draw all our remaining games? I think it's unlikely: FFS we can hardly string 2 0-0 draws together and the teams below us? We used to say "Villa, there's 3 points in the bag", it would be a brave man who would bet on that these days. The teams who are immediately above us were also targets for ridicule for years, West Brom, Palace and Newcastle.

How far have we fallen?

IMO anyone who is more focused on Europa League right now is crazy. This team is in serious danger of being relegated. Sure we are having success in Europa league and its fun to watch and a trophy would be unbelievable but it will mean next to nothing if we are relegated. Safety first - top priority by miles and miles.

The most alarming thing for me is there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. No corner is being turned. Everytime we get a hald decent result mainly the draws with City and the Shite and the win at Palace nothing proceeded them.

It's like they're one offs then normal service is resumed. There's no run of games where we're winning regular, even the run where we went so many unbeaten (was it 6 or 7) we draw all but one.

It's getting to the point now where we're not going to be able to stop it.

We will lose at Stoke Weds I fuarantee it. We rarely do well there anyway but they're flying (for Stoke) and playing well where as we're low on confidence and an absolute shambles.

Home win on the coupon and a couple of wins for teams below us and we're in shit BIG time. I've been predicting this for months and I take absolutely no pleasure in being proven right, in fact my gut is wrenching now typing it. This has been coming like a train since December and still nothing has changed.

How long can we go onplaying "well" but losing. We are struggling to beat cannon fodder like Leicester, Hull, WBA at home, really struggling. Look at our performance last season against Arsenal to the one this season. This is what Martinez has brought to us, this is his taxtics, his brand of football.

It's totally unacceptable.

Overall record this year: 11-14-14

Domestic record: 6-12-13

Europa League record: 5-2-1

The only thing saving most people from cliff jumping is the Europa League. Here's how i define the season assuming of course our premier league form continues but we dont get relegated:

Eliminated from EL in R16: Disaster/Nightmare

Eliminated from EL in Quarters: Horrendous

Eliminated from EL in Semis: Really bad

Lose final: Needs improvement

Win final: Absolute cloud nine. I will be piss drunk in the local viewing pub singing non-sense.

There's too much risk in how the EL plays out...

The most alarming thing for me is there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. No corner is being turned. Everytime we get a hald decent result mainly the draws with City and the Shite and the win at Palace nothing proceeded them.

It's like they're one offs then normal service is resumed. There's no run of games where we're winning regular, even the run where we went so many unbeaten (was it 6 or 7) we draw all but one.

It's getting to the point now where we're not going to be able to stop it.

We will lose at Stoke Weds I fuarantee it. We rarely do well there anyway but they're flying (for Stoke) and playing well where as we're low on confidence and an absolute shambles.

Home win on the coupon and a couple of wins for teams below us and we're in shit BIG time. I've been predicting this for months and I take absolutely no pleasure in being proven right, in fact my gut is wrenching now typing it. This has been coming like a train since December and still nothing has changed.

How long can we go onplaying "well" but losing. We are struggling to beat cannon fodder like Leicester, Hull, WBA at home, really struggling. Look at our performance last season against Arsenal to the one this season. This is what Martinez has brought to us, this is his taxtics, his brand of football.

It's totally unacceptable.

Totally agree, this season has been an absolute travesty.!!

With the squad we have we should be challenging for top four, and that's were I expected us to be.

Martinez and only him is accountable especially when he carries on picking the clown in goal... Every time a ball comes in the area it causes the jitters and mayhem due to his inability to collect.

Conversely with Barry the pensioner our play becomes painfully slow and predictable... These sideways .... me to you to me passes make me pull my hair out... It's like watching a Chuckle Brothers episode.!!!

If he has the balls to drop those two and add width we will be ok.... I know the argument is we will concede goals but at least we will score more.

Stay as we are and we go down simple as.

Edited by Sherpa

A new goalkeeper could save the season.

It's happening right now with our NHL hockey team, the Minnesota Wild.

We were on a stretch of something like 10 losses in 12 games, nowhere near a chance to make the playoffs, and we would have been better off with a dust broom protecting the goal.

We acquired goaltender Devan Dubnyk from another team in the league for a future draft pick.

We've been 15-3-1 since, we're in the playoff hunt, and Dubnyk was named the league's Star of the month for February.

I'm not sayin; I'm just sayin.

Edited by veedublin

I'm definitely looking down.

But....

We will not need 40 points. Probably 36 will do. I have yet to see anyone argue that 3 of the current bottom 5 will reach 36, much less 38-40.

Agree that it's utterly pathetic to be hoping to get 36 points.

Hate to sound defeatist, but are we actually in with a shout of winning Europa anyway? Obviously it is possible, but the standard of opposition will be a hell of a lot higher than Krasnodar and Young Boys. Our form is probably only better in Europe as the oppositon has been worse than that of the Premier League, which undoubtably makes us play better.

Hate to sound defeatist, but are we actually in with a shout of winning Europa anyway? Obviously it is possible, but the standard of opposition will be a hell of a lot higher than Krasnodar and Young Boys. Our form is probably only better in Europe as the oppositon has been worse than that of the Premier League, which undoubtably makes us play better.

Wolfsburg and Napoli currently joint favourites at around 6/1; we're 10-12/1, so the bookies reckon we have a decent chance.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/europa-league/winner

It's very open there's only about five "outsiders" in it (and none of them are what you'd call "long-shots), any of the other eleven could win.

Definitely resigned to looking at how other results affect us now. With the current scores as is we've dropped a place and it really isn't looking great. The only positive I can draw is that we have the best goal difference out of all the sides down there.

We will get beat tonight.

I get the coach at 4 to leave for Stoke I'm honestly absolutely dreading it.

I hope your doing the same as me and getting a few beers down you before you go in because I have a horrible feeling its going to be another painful experience

Going to watch Everton these days is like waiting outside the headmasters office knowing you are going to get the cane, you know whats coming but you have to go in