IGNORED

Relegation Battle!

jrossiter

Thank fuck for that Spurs have won but were hanging on for dear life at the end. If QPR play like that against us they will wipe the floor with us

Yes, QPR looked like they belong in the EPL. Right now, our guys' lethargic play deserves the pointed criticism it's receiving, here and more generally in the EPL world.

I don't mind McGeady staying as long as he is back up. I forgot about Alcaraz, get him gone too.

I really hope it's not new contracts all round for the deadwood. If anything he needs rid of Moyes old favourites if they are causing the rumoured negative environment in the dressing room.

If we don't go down there should still be £30m to spend in the summer from the current tv deal. It must be used wisely or risk losing our better players should we have another bad season.

I'm singing off exactly the same hymn sheet as you brother.

Amen to everything you say.

I'll be amazed if it happens like we want it to though.

Don't you think that if EFC relegates it'll pretty much be bankrupt? Such debts and the lack of huge amounts of TV money. Sure we got some players to sell, but still.

Three teams get relegated every year; none have yet gone bankrupt. Some suffer more than others due to poor management (Portsmouth/Leeds) and some bounce back after real difficulty (Southampton).

We'd have £12m a year for four years in "parachute payments" to soften the blow.

But we're not going down.

I don't mean to be an arse John but the transfer window closed about five weeks ago. We can't buy anyone.

If we had any money to spend, we might regret not making another signing in the window.

If he was seriously after Winston Reid he maybe should have paid a few million to get his man.

Another to add to the list for the summer. If we can pick up Reid and Vlaar on a free and lose Distin and Alcaraz id be very happy. Spend any money further up the pitch.

I don't mean to be an arse John but the transfer window closed about five weeks ago. We can't buy anyone.

If we had any money to spend, we might regret not making another signing in the window.

If he was seriously after Winston Reid he maybe should have paid a few million to get his man.

Another to add to the list for the summer. If we can pick up Reid and Vlaar on a free and lose Distin and Alcaraz id be very happy. Spend any money further up the pitch.

Reid signed a 6 year deal with West Ham yesterday mate.

Vlaar has been absolutely woeful for Villa all season

Reid signed a 6 year deal with West Ham yesterday mate.

Gutted! I like him.

Vlaar has been absolutely woeful for Villa all season

Have a look at our whole squad for similar examples. He's played with a poor and inexperienced Villa side, but we saw his qualities in the World Cup. From our current crop there is only Stones I'd have in front of him at the back. Edited by StevO

Gutted! I like him.

Have a look at our whole squad for similar examples. He's played with a poor and inexperienced Villa side, but we saw his qualities in the World Cup. From our current crop there is only Stones I'd have in front of him at the back.

The way he has played this season I would prefer Tony Hibbert at CB, he has been shite

I guess you must have watched a lot of Villa than me then. But we have some quality players at the back like Baines, Coleman, Stones, yet they concede more goals than all of Villas shite defence in the prem. If Vlaar has been that bad then we might need more than a couple at the back.

I guess you must have watched a lot of Villa than me then. But we have some quality players at the back like Baines, Coleman, Stones, yet they concede more goals than all of Villas shite defence in the prem. If Vlaar has been that bad then we might need more than a couple at the back.

To be honest if you seriously think Vlaar would be an improvement on Jagielka or Stones then I obviously have seen more Villa games than you. I know a fair few Villa fans and they are totally mystified by his form this season. Its a similar situation to us with Tim Howard, They both had outstanding World Cups but have both been woeful since

To be honest if you seriously think Vlaar would be an improvement on Jagielka or Stones then I obviously have seen more Villa games than you. I know a fair few Villa fans and they are totally mystified by his form this season. Its a similar situation to us with Tim Howard, They both had outstanding World Cups but have both been woeful since

The WC performances are the anomaly. He was shit before it, and shit after it.

I don't think he comes close to Stones, but I think he would improve on Jags. He's been one of my biggest disappointments this season. Not just his poor performances, he's shown very little fight since the first game.

I rate Vlaar, you don't, doesn't really matter anyway does it?

Asked if his team were guilty of over-passing, he said: "Never. I don't think you can. You can never over-pass. Passing for the sake of it is not going to take you anywhere. There's a reason behind every pass."

Maybe he needs to have a word with the players who's lack of movement mean that they have to pass back to the keeper or centre half.

From this article:

Martinez has rejected criticism that his side's possession-heavy style of play is too slow to break down opposing teams.

Asked if his team were guilty of over-passing, he said: "Never. I don't think you can. You can never over-pass. Passing for the sake of it is not going to take you anywhere. There's a reason behind every pass."

This bloke is smoking meth. You guys have meth in Jolly olde England? Its like Coors Light here.

I don't think he comes close to Stones, but I think he would improve on Jags. He's been one of my biggest disappointments this season. Not just his poor performances, he's shown very little fight since the first game.

I rate Vlaar, you don't, doesn't really matter anyway does it?

Yeah fair enough , it is all about opinions, I just think yours might be swayed by his decent World Cup performances when the reality is he's been shite in the Premiership

I reckon just about every Villa fan I know would snap your arm off if you offered them Jags in exchange for Vlaar

Maybe he needs to have a word with the players who's lack of movement mean that they have to pass back to the keeper or centre half.

Scares me that.

As for Vlaar, I'd have him as no.3 CB. No more then that.

Edited by Btay

Guest rusty747

If Hull (away to Leicester) and Sunderland (home to Villa) win on Saturday we will go into the Newcastle game in 16th position. There would then be huge pressure to get a result and we rarely tend to do that after a mid week Europa League game. I am more worried than I thought I needed to be now.

If Hull (away to Leicester) and Sunderland (home to Villa) win on Saturday we will go into the Newcastle game in 16th position. There would then be huge pressure to get a result and we rarely tend to do that after a mid week Europa League game. I am more worried than I thought I needed to be now.

That's four teams below us playing each other a day ahead of our game so no obvious positive outcomes possible because some of them are going to get points. Nothing to be done about it. Could be argued that the results you fear would be the best for us because it'd keep the teams furthest behind us where they are, despite us (hopefully temporarily) dropping a couple of places. Personally I think two draws would be in our best interests.

Guest rusty747

I agree. Two draws would be great - provided, of course, we beat Newcastle. Otherwise it might be four teams that have each reeled us in by another point.

Slight thread creep here but I just watched the Arsenal v Man U game. I think Arsenal played how Roberto wants us to play. They didnt have as much possession as Man U but when they did, they were happy to play it out from the back and hold onto the ball, and even ask for it, when tightly marked. The big difference is that Arsenal always looked to pass forwards and only went sideways or backwards when noone showed for a forward pass - which wasn't very often. I hate to admit it but from the purists point of view Arsenal are far more pleasing on the eye than us and I would not have considered saying that ladt season.

Edited by rusty747