IGNORED

Relegation Battle!

jrossiter

We're playing that shite I might not go tomorrow. That's how I feel every time we have a home game. Deflated

That's the spirit.

We should play tomorrow in front of a crowd of 2,000 Newcastle supporters in their little corner while 36,000 Everton fans stay home feeling deflated.

That'll inspire the players for sure.

I've got to be honest, when I got in from work and finished putting together the wee man's new bike...I finally got to see the results from today, and then look at the table. First thought was 'fuck, we're 3 points off bottom 3'...2nd thought was 'fuck, we're 5 points off WBA, I live with a teenager who supports them!!!'.

It's not great viewing. But at the same time, I'm not worried about going down. Although we have to stop going backwards...NOW!!!

So if we manage to get a draw tomorrow and go 4 points clear you still wouldn't think we were involved ?

Of course we're involved, but we're rank outsiders. Our odds are far shorter to win the Europa League than they are to be relegated.

"Like I said in my last post, if we've still got twenty-eight points next Sunday I'll be worried." stands.

We are vulnerable, but we've suffered far worse with far worse teams.

That's the spirit.

We should play tomorrow in front of a crowd of 2,000 Newcastle supporters in their little corner while 36,000 Everton fans stay home feeling deflated.

That'll inspire the players for sure.

I'm being honest that's how I feel every time we have a home game this season.

A win tomorrow and I'll feel a bit less pressure. Otherwise it has to be faced we are not too good to go down. I don't want a repeat of avoiding the drop in the last game of the season like 94 we won at Wimbledon, 98 we drew and Bolton lost. Stuff of nightmares.

Its all getting a little too close for comfort now, surely there is nobody left on the planet who doesn't realise that we are right in the thick of this relegation scrap?

I agree wholeheartedly, we are right in the thick of this, our league form is dire and it's hard to see us getting a win against any of the sides around us.

The only game I look at with any sort of confidence is Sunderland at home. Villa are improving and Burnley are scraping for their lives, QPR as already stated are a bogey team for us.

Home games against Man Utd and Soton will be tough, as will the away games at Swansea and West Ham.

A defeat today and we are quite literally up the creek without a paddle.

I sincerely hope we get the win we desperately need.

I dint think it's as bad as it was when we had a game against west ham under Mike walker. I recall being in the main stand and in the final 3 minutes the whistles from the crowd were deafening, proper ear piercing. Lee Chapman hit the post, nearly every fan went white. Ablett scored a stooping header to win that one.

If we start like we did in midweek I think its going to be a horrible atmosphere today

Im already in the dog house with the Missus for going to the game on Mothers Day so they had better not get me in even more bother for coming home grumpy!

We can be in the dog house together Dunc.

I got the "just go the game it's fine I'm not bothered". I knew she never meant it but unbenownst to her I was never not going. Just said "agh are you sure? Thanks"

Shes been walking round all morning with her bottom lip trailing, if she's not careful she'll trip over it.

COYFBB!!!

Guest rusty747

I dont subscribe to the theory that we are 'on the edge of the relegation battle but not in the thick of it.' To me, its like getting pregnant. You either are, or you are not. You cannot be a little bit pregnant. Similarly with relegation. You are either under threat of relegation or you are not. We are, and will remain so now unless or until we become mathematically safe.

Results yesteday could have been better, could have been worse. Burnley and Villa will now really believe. Leicester and QPR are almost gone. Sunderland, who most believe are now in freefall have taken only 6 points from the last thirty. But before we start getting excited, we have only taken seven.

The biggest dangers now are not realising we are in a relegation battle and thinking we are too good to go down.

Three points today, a draw in Kiev/Kiev and a win at QPR next week and then I will breathe a little easier.

Edited by rusty747

I can see the bottom 3 as they are today being the ones who go down. They all have tough fixtures too. I can see Hull getting dragged quite close, their remaining fixtures are real tough!!! I think Villa and Sunderland have enough up top to fire themselves away from it.

The title is Chelsea ' s to lose. They'd have to self destruct to not win it. The top 7 are a done deal. Southampton in 7th, fair play to them. Not to sure about 6th - 2nd though. Spurs most likely 6th. Doubt City will slip below 3rd. Arsenal 3rd or 2nd. United have the toughest run in...they'll have a big say for those positions. Between the shite and and United for 4th...fucking disaster.

And us? I hope we find some momentum to take us into next season. The Europa is a lottery...Never say never. It's been massively disappointing this season. We've scrapped too close to the relegation fight without being to actively involved.

So there we go. As I said, only really look at it around game 28-30...and still plenty could change!!!

I dont subscribe to the theory that we are 'on the edge of the relegation battle but not in the thick of it.' To me, its like getting pregnant. You either are, or you are not. You cannot be a little bit pregnant. Similarly with relegation. You are either under threat of relegation or you are not. We are, and will remain so now unless or until we become mathematically safe.

By that logic Chelsea were in a relegation battle in August and everyone up to Southampton is in one now; because they're not mathematically safe.

Or, take it to extreme, the London marathon; you either are or you are not in the race, be you a Kenyan with a pb of just over two hours or a twenty stone bloke in a spacesuit and lead boots.

80/1 with Bet365 now for those who think we're still realistically in trouble; get your money down and pay off your mortgage.

By that logic Chelsea were in a relegation battle in August and everyone up to Southampton is in one now; because they're not mathematically safe.

Or, take it to extreme, the London marathon; you either are or you are not in the race, be you a Kenyan with a pb of just over two hours or a twenty stone bloke in a spacesuit and lead boots.

80/1 with Bet365 now for those who think we're still realistically in trouble; get your money down and pay off your mortgage.

Be interested to know if anyone actually did place a bet on us to go down!!!

I don't see it as an issue now if I'm honest.

McCarthy seems to have got match fit and has been outstanding last 2 games.

Lukaku has strung two very good games together in terms of non goalscoring performances. Exactly what I've wanted to see.

Kone is involved as a secondary striker, something I believe will give us a different threat and allow more width due to his ability to stretch defence and hold up play.

Lennon has found his feet. A real threat with pace, work rate and direct mentality.

I don't see it as an issue now if I'm honest.

McCarthy seems to have got match fit and has been outstanding last 2 games.

Lukaku has strung two very good games together in terms of non goalscoring performances. Exactly what I've wanted to see.

Kone is involved as a secondary striker, something I believe will give us a different threat and allow more width due to his ability to stretch defence and hold up play.

Lennon has found his feet. A real threat with pace, work rate and direct mentality.

Hear, hear.

• 3 weeks later...

Ae're safe now. Someone said people who posted in this should maybe bump it and admit they were wrong so here it is.

I admit I did get it wrong but I'm also mighty mighty happy that I did.

I openly admit I got it wrong but I was genuinally concerned for a LONG time. I still am to be honest.

Anyway, hands held up I got it wrong but all that matters is we're safe.

The end ??????

Ae're safe now. Someone said people who posted in this should maybe bump it and admit they were wrong so here it is.

I openly admit I got it wrong but I was genuinally concerned for a LONG time. I still am to be honest.

The end

It was an understandable worry given our form and position; Christmas and new year when we took zero points from four games was dreadful. But I was never worried because of the quality of the teams below us and I really believed (famous last words for some I know) that we really were too good to go down.

The end

I think it was pretty reasonable to think that we had a chance of being relegated....nothing to be ashamed of IMO.

Glad things panned out differently though.

The end ??????

There is absolutely no way you are as old as you say you are.