IGNORED

Relegation Battle!

jrossiter

I would rather man u lose...very outside chance we could catch them.

We're not getting relegated.

Need to look up now not down.

Agree with the bit in bold, but realistically United are out of reach. Swansea, West Ham, Stoke and Newcastle are the only four we can potentially finish above with a decent run; so in that respect a bad day with Swansea and Stoke winning (though I'm delighted Swansea beat ManU :D).

Bottom four are losing ground and a win tomorrow would give us a cushion over the bottom seven, get us within two points of Newcastle (assuming they lose to City) and we can start thinking about putting this thread to bed.

I would rather man u lose...very outside chance we could catch them.

We're not getting relegated.

Need to look up now not down.

Personally Im looking both ways, although I am far more concerned about the teams below us than I am the teams above us

The top 7 are already out of reach but as Mike says the likes of Stoke , Swansea and Newcastle are still just about in reach if we can start stringing a few wins together. On the other hand we are still perilously close to the drop zone so it would be foolish not to be looking over our shoulders.

Ye I may he a bit of an optimist.

Chelsea dropped two points though...is it mathematically possible we could catch them?

If we win out, we can get to 66 points, so they would have to pick up 6 or less points. Technically it's possible :P

I feel a bit better about us not going down, but I will be reserved and not assume anything until we get to around 40 points.

I suppose Everton could yet rise to 8th or 9th, but that would require a set of performances that right now seem beyond the squad's capability. So I'm reduced to trying to be optimistic while looking down, not up. A couple of weeks back, I posted that we wouldn't need more than 39 points. I now think -- either because I'm whistling past the graveyard or I'm being realistic -- that figure is too high. Maybe something like 36 will see us safe. Last season the relegation 3 had 33, 32, and 30 points. WBA stayed up on 36 (though the 17th team needed only 34).

As I look at the teams below us, I don't see 37 or 38, much less 39-40, from Leicester, Aston Villa, Burnley, QPR, or Sunderland. And certainly not from 3 of these now-bottom 5 teams. So, can Everton get to 37, even 36? Good heavens, might 17th depend on goal difference? Well, good news there, as Everton is now at -4, whereas the best of the bottom 5 is at -14.

Everton's sterling play today has us up to 28 points. Twelve matches left. Can we win 3 and get 2 draws? 39 points. How about a couple of wins and 4 draws? 38 points. Two wins, 3 draws, 37. Two wins and three draws will see us through. A single win and 4 draws probably sees us through on goal difference, though that last match day would be tense.

Just as today was must-win, home to Burnley and Sunderland may well be must-wins. Sooner or later, our boys must win one that they must-win.

I suppose Everton could yet rise to 8th or 9th, but that would require a set of performances that right now seem beyond the squad's capability. So I'm reduced to trying to be optimistic while looking down, not up. A couple of weeks back, I posted that we wouldn't need more than 39 points. I now think -- either because I'm whistling past the graveyard or I'm being realistic -- that figure is too high. Maybe something like 36 will see us safe. Last season the relegation 3 had 33, 32, and 30 points. WBA stayed up on 36 (though the 17th team needed only 34).

As I look at the teams below us, I don't see 37 or 38, much less 39-40, from Leicester, Aston Villa, Burnley, QPR, or Sunderland. And certainly not from 3 of these now-bottom 5 teams. So, can Everton get to 37, even 36? Good heavens, might 17th depend on goal difference? Well, good news there, as Everton is now at -4, whereas the best of the bottom 5 is at -14.

Everton's sterling play today has us up to 28 points. Twelve matches left. Can we win 3 and get 2 draws? 39 points. How about a couple of wins and 4 draws? 38 points. Two wins, 3 draws, 37. Two wins and three draws will see us through. A single win and 4 draws probably sees us through on goal difference, though that last match day would be tense.

Just as today was must-win, home to Burnley and Sunderland may well be must-wins. Sooner or later, our boys must win one that they must-win.

Its very difficult to see where we are going to get 3 wins from to be honest

Its very difficult to see where we are going to get 3 wins from to be honest

Hard to believe we are where we are, for sure. Maybe we can actually win one of the two must-wins, get a 94th-minute point from the other must-win, and take 4 points from some other 4 matches. 36 points plus goal difference. We're saved.

Then it's on to Warsaw....... Gulp, 3 days later.

More annoyed that two above us won and moved away. That's the bigger concern.

The two places we dropped can be caught up easily enough...the gap between us and Newcastle will be rougher though.

How can that possibly be a bigger concern?

Even if we were to catch them we would still finish mid table and it will have been a disastrous season, the thought of us getting relegated is far far worse

How can that possibly be a bigger concern?

Even if we were to catch them we would still finish mid table and it will have been a disastrous season, the thought of us getting relegated is far far worse

Because I simply believe we are not in as much trouble as you think we are.

I belive we're a better team than our position tells. And that we are starting to claw our way back I to form

Some look down some look up. I just tend to be optimistic that's all.

I belive we're a better team than our position tells. And that we are starting to claw our way back I to form

I'm of similar thoughts to you. Have been all along.

But I have to admit to being hugely disappointed. I openly said I expected the 2nd half of the season to be much better etc. We are now 7 games into it and it's not taken off how I thought. Even if we win all our games here on in, it would be difficult to finish top 8. The gap has opened up week after week.

I don't believe in this relegation talk. Never have, especially as it was started so early.

But I have now written this League season off. I have no idea what to expect each week, we are that unpredictable. It's the Leicester game that finally turned it for me. Seeing us go back to that panicked rushed unorganised defence again. Seeing us play such a slow tempo and only really go at it when 2-1 down.

Still got the UEFA Cup to look forward to. That brings some hope and excitement.

We've won 1 in11 in the league, how can you think that's acceptable enough to look up.

We'll get twatted at Stoke om Weds as well then all the people who said 8 games ago they were confident we'd put a run together and idf we didn't would start worrying round about now can come in to the real world.

It's not just a bad season it's fucking horrendous. We're devoid of ideas, confidence, we're not scoring or creating and defending like a Sunday league team on Buckley Hill and are in free fall big time yet people keep saying it'll be fine. It fucking wont, even 14th is not acceptable. Martinez needs fucking off before he absolutely destroys us.

We've won 1 in11 in the league, how can you think that's acceptable enough to look up.

We'll get twatted at Stoke om Weds as well then all the people who said 8 games ago they were confident we'd put a run together and idf we didn't would start worrying round about now can come in to the real world.

It's not just a bad season it's fucking horrendous. We're devoid of ideas, confidence, we're not scoring or creating and defending like a Sunday league team on Buckley Hill and are in free fall big time yet people keep saying it'll be fine. It fucking wont, even 14th is not acceptable. Martinez needs fucking off before he absolutely destroys us.

I was confident we'd put a run together. No shame in admitting it. It's what I thought. It was my opinion. No one really knows the future do they? No one really see's it coming? If we could, we'd be millionaires. I also said I would look at it at around game 28-30...because that's when I always do for all things in the league...title, Europe and Relegation.

I don't regret saying any of it, because it's what I truly believed. I'm left feeling really disappointed. Not because I was wrong, I can handle that, but because it just has not happened. To be 11 points off 10th is awful.

Am i at the point where i fear relegation? No. But I am at the point of 'looking over my shoulder' and thinking that this long run if poor substandard form cannot carry on until the end if the season. We need a run of results.