IGNORED

Liverpool Derby (Goodison) Saturday April 7th

markjazzbassist

If we get slaughtered here an already upset fan base might reach critical mass.  I’m hoping sam concocts some sort of Leicester victory where We defend like Italians for 90 minutes and Cenk bangs in the winner in extra time.  Sadly I think we will get beat 3 or 4 to nil.

Pickford

coleman Jags Mori Baines

Gana

Davies          Rooney

walcott      Cenk         Bolasie

If we had a manager with some nous we'd tell our left winger to just run at Alexander-Arnold in this game because he is fucking awful defensively.

As it is, we'll sit back and hope to absorb what they throw at us and hope they don't beat us too heavily.

Watching them play with style and vigour as they hammer us is going to hurt like hell.

My brother was well ahead of the curve.... he wanted us 5-0 down at half time.

1. To get that prick allardyce sacked and out of our club

2.  Man city could take their foot off the gas and rest players in order to beat Liverpool in the champions league.  Cos let's face it..... Liverpool could win the CL

3.  If man city play at their best vs Liverpool it will stop their momentum. 

Liverpool could play man city at 100% intensity for 120 minutes and still piss all over us. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

If we had a manager with some nous we'd tell our left winger to just run at Alexander-Arnold in this game because he is fucking awful defensively.

Was thinking the same watching their match yesterday. Probably the worst full back in the league. No idea how he's getting a game for them lot. 

We need men to go out on the pitch for this one, players like Jags, Colman,Davies and Rooney who know how to fight and hit hard and understand what this game means, and most importantly we need a ref who understands it's a derby and isn'tt brandishing yellows and reds all over the place, it may not be pretty but there's more than one way to skin a cat and that's to battle for every ball and knock them off their stride.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

As it is, we'll sit back and hope to absorb what they throw at us and hope they don't beat us too heavily.

Watching them play with style and vigour as they hammer us is going to hurt like hell.

Agreed. Zaha was constantly running off him yesterday. The lad can really whip a ball in but just run off him time and time again and you will get a couple of chances.

It’s actually entered my mind to not go and just watch it on the tv instead. 
Thats not right at all. 
I don't even know if I'll watch it(I will), but I fucking hate it. I bet THEY are looking forward to it though.

I really hope City crushes them in CL.

The problem, of course, will be Salah. Besic has the potential to mark him out of the game, but he's no longer here and we have no-one else who can do the job. Yes, their Achilles Heel is their defence, but we're, as always, going to set up not to lose instead of to win. The only hope really is that Liverpool will play half their second team after a close first leg this week with City.

11 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

The problem, of course, will be Salah. Besic has the potential to mark him out of the game, but he's no longer here and we have no-one else who can do the job. Yes, their Achilles Heel is their defence, but we're, as always, going to set up not to lose instead of to win. The only hope really is that Liverpool will play half their second team after a close first leg this week with City.

Its very rare that you will ever see a winger man marked for the whole game. In fact I dont think I have ever seen or heard of it before.

Liverpool predominately try and beat you through the middle. They aren't really the type of team that will beat you with width, they will just try and plough straight through the middle and catch you on the counter. Firminho always drops deep and Salah and Mane will try and get in behind. Likewise, the two more offensive midfielders, whoever they may be, also try and get past Firminho. Its probably the most aggressive and attacking front 5 in the league. With that in mind, we need to plug the centre of midfield with as many men as we can, albeit sacrificing our own width at the same time.

Anyone thinking we can go toe to toe with them is deluded, so we need to do a job on them and get them on the counter instead, because as its been pointed out, they are weak at the back, especially against the counter and particularly off their right.

The big problem for us is that we have gone from having a really strong midfield to a weak as piss midfield, and thats probably another good reason to pack it as best we can because at least one of them might be able to do their job but we also need them to be able to support the striker when we do get out, and for the most advanced midfielder to play on the turn and carry the ball up the pitch. I would play the following:

Pickford

Coleman / Jags / Keane / Baines

Schneiderlin

Davies / Gana

Vlasic                 Klaassen

Walcott

I cant have Rooney deep based on his performance this weekend where he barely laid a glove on City, I don't really like having Schneiderlin either but there arent many other options. If Gana isnt fit then I think you have to put Klaassen in deeper and Rooney in. I'd want that midfield to be really narrow, Vlasic and Klaasen arent to be played as wingers, they are almost wide central midfielders and one of them needs to make sure Can (or whoever plays deep) doesnt get an easy time on the ball. They also need to make sure they get forward and support Walcott. I have picked Walcott because I want his pace to scare the shit out of them. Vlasic and Klaassen can both play through balls, they can both carry the ball too, they both have very good movement. Cenk is a battler but I dont think he will worry their CB's much. He isnt going to get in behind and if VVD plays he isnt going to get much change out of him. As we saw with DCL in the away leg, they are panicky and rash when players get in behind them and we have to make them worry about something. I dont think they will like Walcott running at the either, so even if he picks it up on the flank and can turn and run at them, hopefully it will give some space to our midfield breaking forward.

It is defensive, it is designed to stifle them rather than express ourselves, but we don't have the quality in midfield to go toe to toe with them in my opinion and at least there is a plan to cause them a problem. Whether it would work or not is a different story, and Walcott could be left chasing shadows and not getting a sniff without quality ball but I would like to think with that midfield they could at least string a few passes together. That in itself could be our downfall as they are great at turning over possession but if the players are brave and take that chance to pass through their press we will get at them time and time again.

This might sound an odd thing to say, but I would suggest our best forward option for this game is Niasse: His energy and persistence would pay off. Schneiderlin shouldn't even be on the bench, but we need Rooney's experience in games like this. Vlasic won't get a look in as long as Crooked Sam is manager, much as I agree he should play: It will be Bolasie, for sure.

What team would I like to see?

Pickford

Coleman / Keane / Jagielka / Holgate / Baines

Davies      Rooney

Walcott                             Vlasic

Niasse

Who will our inept manager put in as starters?

Pickford

Coleman / Jagielka / Keane / Baines

Schneiderlin    Rooney

Walcott                           Bolasie

DC-L

If Schneiderlin plays, which unfortunately he will, he'll get himself sent off.

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

He's scoring goals for fun and must therefore be stopped.

But it's not like this lad is Messi or KDB pulling loads of strings. He is just very quick and takes a chance with his positioning and his runs.

You stop him by stopping the source, which given how Liverpool play, isn't easy.