IGNORED

Worst eleven

With the news of Sandro going 🙏🏼 Just thought we could have a bit of fun while is quiet. Will he make anyone’s team? I know this has been done before but to the newer members it might be a laugh. You can pick any formation you want but it has to be in your time of supporting Everton so put the year you started supporting us. Five subs allowed for your worst ever Everton team 

This should be more upsetting than it is. Somehow it was almost fun. 

Everton found me in 06-07. Admittedly i forget most of the first few years so this is basically a team of the decade (2010-2019):

Mucha

Cuco Senderos Mangala Alcaraz

van der Meyde Drenthe MagayeGueye

Jo Eto'o Sandro

For the price AWilliams, Schneiderlin and Bolasie are nightmares but they at least contributed.

Also fun reminder Everton have whiffed hard on a number of youth players they paid decent sums for: Henen, Tarashaj, Leandro, Joao Silva, Francisco Jr., LJutkiewicz, Vellios

Unsure when exactly I started following properly, guessing about 1997 or `98 I remember Barmby being our best player and was the first player I was gutted to see leave. 

Sendoros, Wei-Feng and Sandro. Baffling any of them got the chance to wear the shirt but seems a bit pointless naming bad signings when they never really played for the club so picking players who played 15+ games:

GK: Wright. 

RB: Hard to pick a right back. Can't remember who it was before Hibbert and since then it feels like we've only had two more in Neville and Coleman. Quick Google and Abel Xavier makes the worst RB slot his own. 

LB: Similarly to right back in we've been pretty solid, just a few mediocre ones between Unsworth and Lescott/Baines/Digne. Be one from Naysmith, Pitstone or Valente, make that a toss up from the latter two as at least Naysmith didn't wear an Alice band. 

CB: Stubbs, if he wasn't a local lad I doubt he would have ever got to wear the shirt. Michael Keane, other than being tall I don't see what he's added more than Holgate. 

DM: Stephen Hughes. Underwhelming to the point I can't really remember what he had to his game, just remember he was plop. 

CM: Gana, if he didn't have athleticism he'd not be a footballer. 

Wingers galore: Two from Drenthe, McGeady, Hughes, and AVM being the most disappointing. Says a lot when we had the likes of Tal and Alexanderson. 

ST. Two from: Beckford, Bent, Branch, Madar, and Stuart. Technically Straquilersi should probs be in the list but let him off as he gave his all. Campbell once we signed him was the most frustrating striker smiling after missing or throwing himself to the ground to make it look like he slipped too. Jeffers on his second spell was really poor. Luckily I just missed out on the infamous Brett Angel. 

Wright

Xavier Keane Stubbs Pistone

McGeady Gana Hughes Hughes

Branch Stuart

30 minutes ago, StevO said:

Stubbs and Stuart?? Wow!

cant get into Keane and Gana when I watched Alcaraz and Besic in recent years. 

I didn't follow us during the FA Cup win. I just remember a tubby bloke who looked like he had been plucked from a pub team. 

2 goals and 1 assists in 14 games in his final season for us and only 5 goals and no assists in 34 the season before. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/graham-stuart/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/3334/plus/0/saison/1997/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/29

Davy Weir carried Stubbs. Baffling that he was getting in the side over Yobo. Used to piss me off that he'd get caught out because he was just chatting away at the back not concentrating! 

Alcaraz only played 14 games. No idea why you don't like Besic, bar one or two sloppy passes he's looked decent. Solid defensively and got a good range of passing. 

53 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I didn't follow us during the FA Cup win. I just remember a tubby bloke who looked like he had been plucked from a pub team. 

2 goals and 1 assists in 14 games in his final season for us and only 5 goals and no assists in 34 the season before. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/graham-stuart/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/3334/plus/0/saison/1997/wettbewerb/GB1/verein/29

Davy Weir carried Stubbs. Baffling that he was getting in the side over Yobo. Used to piss me off that he'd get caught out because he was just chatting away at the back not concentrating! 

Alcaraz only played 14 games. No idea why you don't like Besic, bar one or two sloppy passes he's looked decent. Solid defensively and got a good range of passing. 

On Stuart, the game is more than just stats. In a team that was shite, he did a good job. 

Stubbs was also solid at the back for us, again, we had a poor side but he wasn’t one of the worst. 

14 games was too many for Alcaraz. He was garbage. 

Besic has a terrible range of passing, he thinks he can pass and it causes him to get into trouble. He often had a chance to show he could tackle because he was trying to win back the ball he just lost. Also, look at his whole career. The highlight is being an Everton player who couldn’t get a game. No manger since Martinez has rated him. 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

On Stuart, the game is more than just stats. In a team that was shite, he did a good job. 

Stubbs was also solid at the back for us, again, we had a poor side but he wasn’t one of the worst. 

14 games was too many for Alcaraz. He was garbage. 

Besic has a terrible range of passing, he thinks he can pass and it causes him to get into trouble. He often had a chance to show he could tackle because he was trying to win back the ball he just lost. Also, look at his whole career. The highlight is being an Everton player who couldn’t get a game. No manger since Martinez has rated him. 

From what I saw of him he genuinely looked out of his depth. I remember him playing as a 10 and he was more than a yard off the pace the two seasons I know him from. We finished 15th and 18th staying up on goal difference and of the starting eleven he was the weakest. I've Googled the squad from his last full season and it was pretty much this:

Southall 

Barrett* Watson Clark* Unsworth

Kanchelskis Parkinson Speed Barmby 

Stuart Ferguson

I've no memory of what Barrett and Clark played like, just remember Stuart sticking out like a sore thumb. Of the other players they'd all be in with a shout of the current first team. Southall, Watson, Speed, Ferguson must be one of the best spines we've had. 

You make a good point about Everton being the highlight. Look at all the players I named, they all done nothing after leaving with most struggling to get a game elsewhere. Stubbs being the biggest example, he left to the record breaking Sunderland... The record being least points in a season. Stubbs left them half way through the season as he struggled to hold a place in the worst side in Premiership history at that time. 

Middlesbrough wanted to sign Besic after his loan, and did loan him for another year. 

Besic looked good, then missed over a year due to injuries. Had a solid half season in the championship getting fit and doing well enough that they wanted to sign him permanently. He gave away two sloppy passes that cost us but he was still learning a new position and looked to have learned from them. 

2 hours ago, pete0 said:

From what I saw of him he genuinely looked out of his depth. I remember him playing as a 10 and he was more than a yard off the pace the two seasons I know him from. We finished 15th and 18th staying up on goal difference and of the starting eleven he was the weakest. I've Googled the squad from his last full season and it was pretty much this:

Southall 

Barrett* Watson Clark* Unsworth

Kanchelskis Parkinson Speed Barmby 

Stuart Ferguson

I've no memory of what Barrett and Clark played like, just remember Stuart sticking out like a sore thumb. Of the other players they'd all be in with a shout of the current first team. Southall, Watson, Speed, Ferguson must be one of the best spines we've had. 

You make a good point about Everton being the highlight. Look at all the players I named, they all done nothing after leaving with most struggling to get a game elsewhere. Stubbs being the biggest example, he left to the record breaking Sunderland... The record being least points in a season. Stubbs left them half way through the season as he struggled to hold a place in the worst side in Premiership history at that time. 

Middlesbrough wanted to sign Besic after his loan, and did loan him for another year. 

Besic looked good, then missed over a year due to injuries. Had a solid half season in the championship getting fit and doing well enough that they wanted to sign him permanently. He gave away two sloppy passes that cost us but he was still learning a new position and looked to have learned from them. 

The 90s were so long ago that I don’t remember enough to argue. 

Stubbs was very old when he left us for Sunderland, didn’t Moyes bring him back again after that?

The best Besic did was attract Middlesbrough and they are pretty crap too. Probably his level. 

8 minutes ago, StevO said:

The 90s were so long ago that I don’t remember enough to argue. 

Stubbs was very old when he left us for Sunderland, didn’t Moyes bring him back again after that?

The best Besic did was attract Middlesbrough and they are pretty crap too. Probably his level. 

Just checked wiki and Moyes played him at centre half over Lescott. Didn't realise he left us for Derby the second time so he's got the unfortunate record of being involved in the both lowest points tallies in the prem. 

I think there's a good player in Besic. Had Martinez stayed he'd probably be first choice. 

I started watching and supporting us since 1986. I’m going to give mine some proper thought. I’m not going to pick people like koldrup who only played a couple of times I’m going to pick players that were consistently shite. The last Howard Kendall era was particularly horrendous to watch and I will be spoilt for choice. Walter smiths teams were no picnic either to watch 

On 02/07/2019 at 22:27, pete0 said:

Unsure when exactly I started following properly, guessing about 1997 or `98 I remember Barmby being our best player and was the first player I was gutted to see leave. 

Sendoros, Wei-Feng and Sandro. Baffling any of them got the chance to wear the shirt but seems a bit pointless naming bad signings when they never really played for the club so picking players who played 15+ games:

RB: Hard to pick a right back. Can't remember who it was before Hibbert and since then it feels like we've only had two more in Neville and Coleman. Quick Google and Abel Xavier makes the worst RB slot his own. 

LB: Similarly to right back in we've been pretty solid, just a few mediocre ones between Unsworth and Lescott/Baines/Digne. Be one from Naysmith, Pitstone or Valente, make that a toss up from the latter two as at least Naysmith didn't wear an Alice band. 

CB: Stubbs, if he wasn't a local lad I doubt he would have ever got to wear the shirt. Michael Keane, other than being tall I don't see what he's added more than Holgate. 

DM: Stephen Hughes. Underwhelming to the point I can't really remember what he had to his game, just remember he was plop. 

Wingers galore: Two from Drenthe, McGeady, Hughes, and AVM being the most disappointing. Says a lot when we had the likes of Tal and Alexanderson. 

ST. Two from: Beckford, Bent, Branch, Madar, and Stuart. Technically Straquilersi should probs be in the list but let him off as he gave his all. Campbell once we signed him was the most frustrating striker smiling after missing or throwing himself to the ground to make it look like he slipped too. Jeffers on his second spell was really poor. Luckily I just missed out on the infamous Brett Angel. 

Wright

Branch Stuart

Stuart Stubbs Keane and Gana....

Stuart was key to us winning an FA cup and avoiding relegation. 

Stubbs was a leader at a time when there weren't many.

Keane is nowhere near as bad as you make out

Gana.... well yeah I suppose we had to fight off PSG for gemill and pembridge eh.....

Not sure if anybody is old enough to remember Bernie Wright, a striker that Catterick brought from Walsall.

He played against us in a cup match and terrorised our defenders, Catterick signed him on the basis of that game, only played  about a dozen games, he got sent off twice and had his contract cancelled for a "training ground incident" I think he flattened one of the coaches.  He was a hard bastard always scrapping and he should have been a Boxer cos he couldn't play football.

Right I’m on it. 

Gk- Paul gerrard. The united game still gives me shivers. Richard wrong was up there but Gerrard shaded it.

Rb- lots of candidates hottiger, tony Thomas but I go for Mitch ward. A horrible footballer. Neil McDonald comes close 

Lb - We have done ok with left backs over the years hinchcliffe, ball, etc. Most difficult choice in the team. Unsworth used  to kill me I called him diagonal Dave cos all he did was hit diagonals from deep to the 18 yard box for dunc to flick on. It was horrendous. Not his fault though, that was his orders. So pistone for me. He wasn’t the worst but hey ho.

CB- Carl tiler - his name should have told him what to pursue in his career

CB- the bird man. - Alcaraz. Injury prone and got a good contract of his boy the smiling assasin. Fucking awful.

CM - Claus thomson. Big money move at the the time around £750,000 from Ipswich. Absolute shite. 

CM - Danny Williamson we swapped him for money to West Ham for Unsworth. He was inept then suffered a career injury. So bad.  

LW - beagrie - never seen a player more that loved himself. He beat his fullback could have got a cross in. No. He checks back. Then does it again. Fucking annoying 

RW - take your pick here, they roll off the tongue. Alexanderson for me. Thought there was a player there but never materialised . 

CF- the legend that is jigsaw Stuart Barlow.  I still shudder at the Anfield derby miss. Please google it people if your not familiar. 

CF- there was worse players by far but James Beattie was horrendous. Moyes fault he bout him to play on his own but to see him play in a 4-5-1. The lad couldn’t control a football with his back to goal 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Stuart Stubbs Keane and Gana....

Stuart was key to us winning an FA cup and avoiding relegation. 

Stubbs was a leader at a time when there weren't many.

Keane is nowhere near as bad as you make out

Gana.... well yeah I suppose we had to fight off PSG for gemill and pembridge eh.....

That was before my time. What I saw of him was very poor. His next club was in the division below says it all.

Stubbs didn't lead Sunderland very well, it was tough there and he didn't stay and fight. We had Hibbert, Carsley, Neville, Arteta, and Cahill in the squad when he rejoined. First time round we has Weir, Unsworth, Carsley, Hibbert, Campbell and Ferguson. 

What is Keane better at than Holgate? Being tall and floaty Hollywood passes.

Scot Gemmill has a premier league medal and Pembridge was probably the better of the two. But they're both didn't stand out with some pointless stats like tackling for the media to highlight. You jump on reputations too much, just look at Welbeck and the many others that you were so focal about. As for PSG interest I have no idea how you think that's an argument. He's not playing for them, he's playing for us and he's the main player holding us back. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

That was before my time. What I saw of him was very poor. His next club was in the division below says it all.

Stubbs didn't lead Sunderland very well, it was tough there and he didn't stay and fight. We had Hibbert, Carsley, Neville, Arteta, and Cahill in the squad when he rejoined. First time round we has Weir, Unsworth, Carsley, Hibbert, Campbell and Ferguson. 

What is Keane better at than Holgate? Being tall and floaty Hollywood passes.

Scot Gemmill has a premier league medal and Pembridge was probably the better of the two. But they're both didn't stand out with some pointless stats like tackling for the media to highlight. You jump on reputations too much, just look at Welbeck and the many others that you were so focal about. As for PSG interest I have no idea how you think that's an argument. He's not playing for them, he's playing for us and he's the main player holding us back. 

Scot Gemmill has a premier league medal? What type of medal? 

4 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Scot Gemmill has a premier league medal? What type of medal? 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Who did he steal that from? He certainly never won one:dontknow:.

Brainfart from me. (Had got Forest and Blackburn mixed up somehow). 

4 hours ago, StevO said:

Don’t want to get into it, but if Keane or Gana were on the market we would have no trouble selling either. Both at a handsome profit, even with the big money we paid for Keane. 

Football economics not because they're good players. £20m is the going rate of a bog standard player and Keane will come with an English premium. We initially bought both on the cheap luckily because neither have lived up to expectations, Gana had a release clause and Keane was in his last year. 

We bought Keane and he was meant to be the better out of him and Maguire. Don't see any £70m bids for Keane. 

On 02/07/2019 at 22:27, pete0 said:

Wright

Branch Stuart

Stubbs and Gana?  Have you watched football before?