IGNORED

Video Game Thread

dark

Yeah, that's been a common complaint Mike. Not entirely sure why they've done that? Unless they presume that people who buy the 3DS XL will already have one from the other models?

I presumed that it would be the same as his DS but it isn't....it's only compatible with the 3DS

Pocket money really does stretch far these days!

He's a bit more upwardly mobile now Mark....big city college boy with a monthly allowanceunsure.png .

Tbf he doesn't spend much....and his grandparents gave him a tidy little wedge on the back of his GCSE results.

Why do that? Isn't it just going to damage their profits?

I think it's actually designed totally for that particular console. Unfortunately, despite pc's offering a far better gaming experience, (my opinion) they seem to be getting ignored by the 'quick profit' of the consoles. Companies like Asda etc even stopped selling pc games. You have to ask why a game on Xbox or PS3 costs a lot more than pc.

My pc is pretty high end, and my card alone was over £400 as it was built purely with gaming in mind, so you can imagine it's a tad frustrating to have a first person shooter like Halo 4 become console only.

I think it's actually designed totally for that particular console. Unfortunately, despite pc's offering a far better gaming experience, (my opinion) they seem to be getting ignored by the 'quick profit' of the consoles. Companies like Asda etc even stopped selling pc games. You have to ask why a game on Xbox or PS3 costs a lot more than pc.

My pc is pretty high end, and my card alone was over £400 as it was built purely with gaming in mind, so you can imagine it's a tad frustrating to have a first person shooter like Halo 4 become console only.

I'm not a gamer at all so it doesn't affect me in any way but to me I think it's strange that a game would only be available on one console or console only, neglecting PC gamers. I'd have thought they'd want to maximise profits as much as possible and release it on all.

I'm not a gamer at all so it doesn't affect me in any way but to me I think it's strange that a game would only be available on one console or console only, neglecting PC gamers. I'd have thought they'd want to maximise profits as much as possible and release it on all.

The problem is that most of them don't pay.

If you take out the non-PC games that doesn't explain why some games are only available on one console and not others though i.e. XBox and not PS3.

Microsoft will probs be hoping to convince PS3 gamers to swap to their own console and make more profits off them in the long run. I'd expect a PS3 game to be released after a few months. Only way I can see them bothering with PC is if they already make enough profit to sell it for buttons on steam or if fans prepay.

Can you ellaborate a little?

The paying market is small considered to those playing. However, those who don't normally pay may be enticed to buy an Xbox to play the game.

I thought people tended to stick with one maker of console? I know I did when I was younger.

Same here, but you get people flipping between them now as both systems having problems, when one brakes they sometimes switch to the other. Then there is the spoilt/wasteful/dumb ones, I've got a few friends who have xbox PS3 and Wii consoles, and a few hand helds, yet spend more time playing games on their phone/ipad.

Mods can pirate copy PC games much easier, and basically the publisher or game maker get little to no revenue from PC games. Most PC games are being made now either for the love (Minecraft) or the performance ability.

There was uproar when Crysis 2 was released on console because Crysis 1 become a legendary game for PC gamers.

http://www.zdnet.com...-out-soon/14690

Crysis was an awesome game - in terms of graphics, story line, non-linearity, meaty fire power, awesome AI - but it was hard to get it to run at an acceptable frame rate (hence the "Can it run Crysis?" meme). As a result piracy rates were enormous (people justified this - rightly or wrongly - by saying they were "testing the game" and sales were not as good as expected.

It was pirated at about 80% by those who played it. They made no money. Took th edecision to move over to console because pirating is far harder (plus consumers on a majority don't have modified or 'chipped' machines/consoles.)

Halo 4 is a bit different, I'd have guess it would have been available on PC, not sure why not.

Nintendo are the biggest culprits when it comes to exclusive licensing, but they're always their biggest sellers.

Pirating is an issue with any product, not just pc.

However, pc's are becoming a force once again in the gaming world, which suggests anybody who doesn't cater for them is missing out on a huge slice of the market.

Revenue doesn't indicate whether it's worth entering, need to see the profit numbers. Also I'd assume the majority of revenue is for games of a different genre than Halo. The only PC game I know people pay for outside of MRPGs is Football Manager.

Edited by pete0