IGNORED

Pennant

Been told by a reliable source that Pennant has agreed to join us in the summer on a free. Personally I think it's not a bad signing if it happens. Given a run of games and some confidence he could be a useful addition to the squad.

Guest efctaxi

He is the perfect signing for a much needed position .

Bit of a clown , but not exactly a Joey Barton .

We could do a lot worse , and if it's a free , then that's very lucky indeed .

Still belongs to Liverpool though , so can't see it being popular with the die hards .

He's got another year to run on his contract so he won't be going anywhere for free :) .

Mike, according to this he would be allowed to leave for free. I've seen him listen in a few places as on a free transfer too. I don't really know how reliable or what it is in his contract as I thought he signed a 4 year deal in 2006.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-f...00252-22655555/

I think he flatters to deceive, he's decent on his day but that doesn't happen enough.

Id rather keep VDM if im honest coz i think hes better behaved! I'd rather go for someone else but you never know Moyes has a habit of gettin the best from players.

I'm not Pennant's biggest fan but I'll be more than happy the day VDM is off our books and at least Pennant would have a chance of playing. I feel sorry for VDM with the situation with his kid and understandably that's more important than football. I think he's done here and I'd be surprised to see him stay at this level.

I agree that we need someone to replace osman but I don't think getting a winger in is the best option to be honest. Can you imagine Hibbert being isolated down the right......that's exactly the problem we have now. A right sided midfielder with a good touch and a bit of pace would do nicely. I don't even think a " winger " would fit are game.

I think the way we line up suits having 3 attacking midfielders and long term I think that's the way that Moyes will go.

We kind of play that way now exept are right side is usually found lacking offensively. Everything we do worth talking about comes down the left recently...

In short let's stick with Hibbert & Jacobson and use are summer "warchest" getting in a right sided midfielder decent cover for the yak and bains and a few squad fillers

Strange that, it does says he could leave "under the terms of his contract." Written into the contract that he can walk out on it? Not heard of that before :huh: .

It's actually normal in American sports, especially baseball and basketball. Some contracts have an "opt-out" clause, where the total length of the deal is 4 or 6 or 8 years, but the player has a chance to opt out of the deal after a shorter period of time if he wants to, usually 2 or 3 years. If he opts out, then he's free to either leave immediately or sign a new (presumably higher-paying) deal with his current club. If he chooses not to opt out, then he simply sees out the rest of his current contract like normal.

There are also "options", which are similar but not exactly the same. Options are more like preliminary contract extensions. Like you might hear of a player signing a two year deal with options for years 3 and 4. That would mean he's there for at least two years, then at the end of year two a decision is made whether to exercise his option, and (if he stays) the same decision would be made again at the end of year three. The contract always spells out whether the choice to exercise the next option belongs to the player or the team, or if both have to agree, and it's not always the same from one option to the next. So you could see for instance a deal where year 3 is a player-only option, and year 4 is a mutual option.

It does have its benefits. If we'd signed VDM to a contract with club options for years 3 and 4, rather than a straight-up 4-year deal, we could have gotten rid of him a long time ago!

Edited by JD in DC

It does have its benefits. If we'd signed VDM to a contract with club options for years 3 and 4, rather than a straight-up 4-year deal, we could have gotten rid of him a long time ago!

And we wouldn't be going to Wembley (probably) :) .

Funny thing life :lol: .

i sort of remember talk of him having a clause that he could leave if he hadn't played a certain number of games when not injured.

id have him for free, but plenty of better players around, but money will be the problem.

I think he's an alright player and on a free you can't really argue because we're unlikely to have much to spend this summer. His crossing pisses me off though, they're too floaty with no pace on them. So there's more of a chance the keeper could come and claim the ball and if the ball does reach our attacker he has to generate power on the ball himself, instead of simply having to direct the ball.

rather play carlo nash on the wing than this over-rated cock! too much of a wanker 4 moyes to consider him neway

I think he's an alright player and on a free you can't really argue because we're unlikely to have much to spend this summer. His crossing pisses me off though, they're too floaty with no pace on them. So there's more of a chance the keeper could come and claim the ball and if the ball does reach our attacker he has to generate power on the ball himself, instead of simply having to direct the ball.

For those two reasons I'm saying no. We don't need a complete dickhead like him at this club...let's concentrate on signing Barton :P

I feel he's had a lot of growing up to do, he now knows what is expected of him. I feel it is a win win for us. He will prob be on 30k a week, he will give much needed cover for the the Euro cup games, the team spirit we have have may be infectious and give him a new lease of life. Moyes will hopefully have strict rules in his contract that will enable him to get rid if he steps out of line. I would like us to get Crouch too.

Great News!

He's been in the media for the wrong reasons over the past couple of years and he would not be welcomed here. Moyes said something about signing players with the right attitude so can't see why he would go after someone who has played a game for Birmingham with a police tag on his leg. He's not even that good of a footballer, I'm surprised that he has found his way into the Portmouth team.

He will do well at Valencia though, slower game which would probably suit his style of football. Get the feeling he's only going for the beach..

Edited by dark

• 1 month later...
Guest efctaxi

I would think he is worthy of a chance .

There have been plenty of players who have switched between teams , so can't see what the fuss is about .

Taxi said that many teams have switched between clubs and he is right, there would be no fuss over the transfer because it has all happened before. He's not even a huge star at Analfield so it's not as if he would be missed. Drama's like these I would only understand if we were on the verge of signing Carragher or Fernando Torres.

Pennant, who was on loan at Pompey last season, is also aware of interest from Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Tottenham, Wigan, Stoke and Hull City.

Don't really understand why Real Madrid have been put into that list. They have bought Cristiano Ronalo and Kaka' they simply do not need someone like Jermaine, he is not the best of players anyways and with them putting the likes of Arjen Robben for sale I can't see what Real would be thinking, I doubt he would move abroad to be honest - I think that he will head to either Wigan Athletic or Hull City.

I don't want him here, and I don't think he will come. This whole Liverpool & Everton saga seems to have put an end to any chance of a signing.

I hope this is true, I think Pennant has been unfairly treated at Anfield (like Crouch was) and I remember him single handedly destroying Everton a few years back when playing for Birmingham. He's fast, tricky and a good crosser with an eye for goal, if he's cheap then I think this could be one of the signings of the Summer. He'll give us pace and options, plus he's definitely better than Osman on the wing.