IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Moyski

can you listen to R Kelly without laughing?

I always think of William Hung doing his version of " I Believe I can Fly". Cracks me up.

(That Charlie Briooker was just on telly too, doing a look at American telly, and had a clip from R Kelly's DVD "hip-hopera". Too funny. episode nine, the dwarf in the kitchen, heh.)

You quoted me there Steve, not Mark. :(

In the world of music I tend to be stuck in the late seveties/early eighties.

Love a lot of scouse bands.................................

Black

Teardrop Explodes

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

Echo and the Bunnymen

OMD (A BIT)

Pete Wiley and the mighty Wah

Joy Division and a few manc bands.

ATB

Mac

Spent a week of my holiday at my brothers house where he has a basement (instead of a shed) containing a kick ass stereo (including something to play what my neice calls his "big black CD's"), fridge, drum kit, table footie, bass guitar, table tennis table and exercise machine (optional).

Listened to loads of old big black CD's including..

Fleetwood Mac (original)

Argent

Spirit

Capability Brown

The Doors (Other Voices..post Morrison, brilliant)

Black Sabbath

Edited by mikeo

i quoted you for the jam/paul weller reference mate

and from another of your posts - ian curtis was a truelly troubled genius

46555[/snapback]

I am stucked with Jesus & Mary Chain and Stone Roses, but Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is currently high on my list!

Did you know that 1950/51 East Germany Second leg Nord was won by SG VolksPolizei Potsdam !?

i quoted you for the jam/paul weller reference mate

and from another of your posts - ian curtis was a truelly troubled genius

46555[/snapback]

Gotcha Steve. As for Ian Curtis, not the worlds greatest voice, but by God that boy could write a stonking tune. Took his own life just as Joy Division were about to break the USA, f*cking shame and a waste of talent.

ATB

Mac

IAN CURTIS...........

The driving force behind Joy Division's dark vision, he hanged himself in his Macclesfield home as the band rested between a European and American tour. Iggy Pop's 'The Idiot' was found on his turntable alongside a note which read "at this very moment, I wish I were dead. I just can't cope anymore".

Curtis joined Joy Divison in 1976, after answering a "seeking singer" ad that guitarist Bernard Albrecht (latterly Sumner) and bassist Peter Hook had placed in the window of Virgin Records in Manchester. When Stephen Morris joined on drums in August 1977, the band proper was born. They began rehearsing in earnest and touring what would become a trademark bleak, expressive sound. Their live shows caught the ear of semi-legendary Manchester names DJ Rob Gretton and journalist and Factory Records boss Tony Wilson. In May 1978 they went into the studio to record what was planned as their first, self-titled, album. When an engineer decided to overdub synthesisers, the band scrapped the LP.

It wasn't until 1979 with the recording of a session for BBC Radio One's John Peel and the July release of 'Unknown Pleasures' through Factory Records, that Joy Divison's dark star began to rise.

However, as their career took off, Curtis' own health began to suffer. An epileptic, he frequently took fits while on stage. As the band's touring schedule increased so did the intensity of the seizures, and it often became difficult to tell the difference between them and his usual onstage jerkiness. Curtis is also believed to have become depressed at what he saw as an audience who were more keen to watch him break down than to listen to Joy Division.

Following a short break during Christmas 1979, Joy Divison set off on a brief European tour, heading back to the studio in early February to work on the follow-up to 'Unknown Pleasures'.

They released 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' in April, and with momentum building in the US they were due to take off for their first ever tour of the States.

They never went. Curtis hanged himself in his kitchen two days before the flight. It was not his first suicide attempt.

Ironically, Joy Division went on to have their most commercially successful period. Their album 'Closer' peaked at Number 6 in the UK after its August release (the artwork, chosen before Curtis' death, eerily depicts a shrouded body in a tomb) and 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' hit number 13 on its re-release.

Joy Division ceased to be.