IGNORED

Chelsea (home)

FairWooney

My first visit to Goodison in far too many years, I've picked one of the hardest games we'll play there all year and we'll do it without 2 of our most important players.

Piennar's foolishness against the shites means we will be without our hard working skilled, pacy winger.

While Fellaini's injury means we are missing the height, strength and dominance that he gives in the middle of the park.

This limits are options a bit, Rodwell was on the bench last week against Wigan but mysteriously not on Saturday. I don't see him starting if he is back as he's clearly not fully fit, while Arteta isn't at least he's got a bit more game time in him now and might be more with it.

Howard

Coleman Heitinga Distin Baines

Neville

Donovan Arteta Bilya

Cahill

Yak/Saha

Alternative is heitinga into the spot where Neville is but that would rely on us having another fit centre back.

I really hope Moyes does play Bily, he's not played or been brought on for quite a while and I really think he could link up well with Arteta.

Prediction on score...as I'm going i'm going to have some confidence and say 2-1 to us.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree with the team selection but with Mark on the scoreline. They werent all that against Arsenal but this will be a different game. Johnny has to stay at the back in case of counter attacks (he may not be lightning but is the only player we have that has the strength to match Drogba). I just hope we dont take a hiding...

Absolute mauling. Aresnal had all the possession but Chelsea had way to much class when going forward (Exact opposite to us btw). I can see an easy 3-0 Chelsea, we don't have anyone in the middle to keep their big guns quiet, Lampard and Ballack will walk through us at every opportunity. If Nevill does play DM, he will be just as busy with Anelka and Drogba dropping deep. I was hoping a good result vs the shite may have given us a slight edge, but losing Fellaini and Pienaar, we dont have alot to offer.

So for that reason, i've written us off completely. But...if Saha and Yakubu WAKE THE FUCK UP, then we may be able to take it to them. If they don't, as menioned, a mauling. A good result here may put us in good stead for Tuesdays game...oh god.

EDIT: As a S.Ticket holder, im not looking forward to a mid week game, and getting a hiding :( That is usualy the catalyst for a shit run in till the weekend lol

Edited by tenaciousj

I've picked one of the hardest games we'll play there all year

Rare home game for me too, was confident when I booked train/hotel weeks ago but it's fair to say I'm not getting goods vibes now!

Fingers are firmly crossed, but I think a draw is possibly the best we can realistically expect.

(On a side note if anyone fancies meeting for a swift one or three pre/post match then pm me)

I'm hoping for a 0-0 with 11 men behind the ball constantly. Chelsea are scary efficient, and our midfield isn't just decapitated, but also delimbed. I would have more faith if Rodwell and Arteta were both healthy.

Fearing an Arsenal at home scoreline from the beginning of the season, but I don't think we'll score this time.

I think Coleman will start with Neville pushed forward as well. It also wouldnt surprise me if Yobo starts if he is fit for his pace and strength. Im 100% sure Senderos wont replace Distin because I remember Drogba terrorising him before plus he is relatively slow meaning Anelka could run rings round him.

Last time we played Chelsea we played 442 and knowing Moyes' tactical preferences he will probably try the same. This wont work because the balance of our midfield revolves around Felli and Cahill in a midfield with whoever wont work. Therefore it wouldnt surprise me if both Yak and Saha start with Osman/Billy on one wing, Donovan on the other and Arteta/Rodwell alongside Cahill.

If I was Moyes I would also make sure Donovan plays against Ivanovic rather than Cole. He wont get at Cole but Ivanovic certainly isnt invincible and it would allow Billy to play on his preferred wing. With either of these two in front of him Coleman will have his work cut out if he plays but it does mean we should get a good look at how good he can be.

It doesn't matter who you have at centrebacks. Drogba and Anelka will take anyone. Your best bet is to play with with 10 defenders and hope they kick the ball over the endline and you score off a corner :D I don't think sitting in is the greatest idea as they are too good and will find goals. Chelsea are soo good and without a major physical presence I would be very happy with a tie. I hope you men going to the game can spur on our toffees to a good decision. COYB play your asses off.

Also TenaciousJ I agree that are strikers need to get a clue to scoring or at least getting a good touch on the ball.

I just came on to post my prediction, and to be honest I'm quite surprised to find that no-one seems to think we've got a chance in this one. Don't get me wrong, I was going to post a 2-0 win to them anyway, I was just expecting that you guys would be a little more optimistic. Nevermind.

We won't score in this game, I just can't see where it's going to come from. Unless we get a penalty or a free kick just outside the box. As for them, they will score, and what makes me sick is that they will be two sloppy goals from our point of view resulting from bad defending.

I don't think Coleman will start this game though as some are suggesting, although he looks good going forward, I don't think he's ready defensively. I think Moyes would rather play a not quite fit Hibbert ahead Coleman. However, I think he'll keep Neville there and start Arteta in the middle with Ossie. I think it'll look something like this:

Howard

Neville-Distin-Heitinga-Baines

Donovan-Ossie-Arteta-Billy

Cahill-Saha

remember we put 3 past them a couple of months ago everyone!

all be it a couple of lucky goals (own goal and a header from drogba off the back of our own player) but we gave them an excellent game and hae done each time we've played them over the last couple of years.

I'm not confident especially with Piennar and Fellaini (probably) out but I think we'll give them a game.

Well after reading all your opinions, i now feel pretty sick ...

I come on here hoping to hear a lil optimism like the wall writer, but got nothing in return. We need to be optimistic, there is no point turning up to watch the blues with the thought of an easy away win in the back of your mind, just imagine the players thinking that when they walk over that line to start the game, it would end in tragedy.. Right unsure of the team moyes will put out. But he will have them fighting like City, unfortunately without the 2 mentioned so many times... We will get in there faces, hopefully hassle them all over the park, the crowd i predict will be immense if we get kicking them from the start, I love night games at Goodison, the atmosphere is second to none, and personally i cant wait to get there tomorow, so a lil more optimism guys?

1-1

Saha, and we will score first, Drogba for them

I have absolutely no expectations of anything other than defeat in this one, but saying that we always seem to do the exact opposite of what i expect (hence painfully deflated optimism post derby).

if we had Felli and Pienaar I'd see us having a chance, but without our best two players (bar Heitinga) over the last two months, i can't see us adapting the way we play in time. Arteta is not fit enough to play the creative role pienaar has been doing for us (and Osman just isn't as good), and quite frankly we haven't got anyone else who can do what felli has been doing. i think we simply have to stick Neville in midfield, it pains me to say it but if we play a Bily-Arteta-Osman-Donovan foursome as someone suggested, we'll simply get mauled, Chelsea are a brutishly strong and athletic side, as well as being damn fine footballers. Might as well give Coleman his chance, he could get torn apart by Cole, or he could just show enough spirit and guile to put Mr tweedy on the back foot for once. Distin simply has to be dropped, I'm afraid the man has proven himself to be an utter donkey once too many times, Yobo has had a poor season but at least he's got pace. And I'd start the Yak, I just think louis has hit a brick wall in terms of goal scoring and it has hit his confidence a bit, the yak has got to start putting them away some time and tomorrow would be a very nice time to do so.

Everton from: Howard, Nash, Neville, Coleman, Heitinga, Senderos, Distin, Baines, Osman, Arteta, Rodwell, Bilyaletdinov, Donovan, Gosling, Cahill, Saha, Yakubu, Vaughan, Anichebe, Duffy, Baxter, Forshaw.

Howard

Neville Distin Senderos Baines

Donovan Osman Heitinga Bilyaletdinov

Cahill

Saha

Edited by Noddy

Howard

Neville Distin Senderos Baines

Donovan Osman Heitinga Bilyaletdinov

Cahill

Saha

Hope to God you're wrong. Coleman right back, Neville in midfield, Heitinga at the back and Distin on the bench for me.

Yobo's not listed in the squad Mark, though they often get it wrong.

A lot depends on the readiness (in DM's head) of Arteta & Rodwell....one or both may play....and Coleman almost certainly won't.

Hope to God you're wrong. Coleman right back, Neville in midfield, Heitinga at the back and Distin on the bench for me.

Yobo's not listed in the squad Mark, though they often get it wrong.

Senderos alongside Heitinga it is then, just anything but putting Distin and Senderos together. The thought literally gave me a sinking feeling.

Edited by Romey 1878

What!? No warm flat overpriced plastic coated Chang :o ? Disgraceful :angry: .

I meant when its cold!! i may in the warmer months, but tbh i'd rather take a hip-flask full of absynth or racci haha

Well at least you know what the alternative is..........

Saying that im in the park end..... at least my Chang is fizzy :blink:

Yeah im in the ParkEnd, you a S.ticket holder DM?

Oh god, Distin and Senderos at the heart of our defence? That has disaster written all over it. Keep Heitinga where he's looked immense, shoot Distin, and play either Senderos or Yobo.

I have to admitt, i though i mis-read that but on 2nd glance a tiny bit of wee came out :P funny bastard.

---------------Howard---------------------

Coleman Heits Senderos Baines

-----------------Pip------------------------

-------Bily--Teta/Ossie--Lando--------

-------------Saha--Yak-------------------

Not hopeful of much, a draw would be nice. Keeping in mind that 6 points from February will be needed to keep within reach of that last European spot, I'd be quite made up with a gritty 1-0 win, but I can't see them (read: Drogba) not scoring.

2-1 either way.

Edited by bluenoseyankee

Not hopeful but you never know with us we could quite easily shock everybody and beat them. I'd play Senderos up against Drogba in the air and Jonny to deal with the knock downs and clean up. Id go for Shamus at full back with Neville in the middle and leave Osman out and play Bily on the left. Chelsea are not as strong down the right side so Bily could get at the russian fullback who is not the quickest.

That's alright, we all need a fright every once in a while :P.

The reasoning behind it, of course, being that Moyes won't want to throw Coleman in and will play someone with more experience. I'd still say that might be the team, with Heitinga and Neville swapped perhaps - in order to keep Heitinga at the back. As good as Coleman is (and I'd love for him to come in and have a stormer!), I don't think Moyes will be keen to put him in just yet.

Interestingly, Distin still played the last game against Liverpool while Senderos remained on the bench, despite having a decent game against Wigan, so it would seem that Distin is the preferred choice for Moyes.

Can anyone suggest a good prematch pub or two?

I'd just walk down to the County Road (down any of the streets off Goodison Road), have a walk along and see what I like the look of. Loads there.

Only been able to have a beer once in recent years due to driving, having my lad with me and temperance :angel: . Went to the Players Bar on my last trip though....was OK.

Not hopeful but you never know with us we could quite easily shock everybody and beat them. I'd play Senderos up against Drogba in the air and Jonny to deal with the knock downs and clean up. Id go for Shamus at full back with Neville in the middle and leave Osman out and play Bily on the left. Chelsea are not as strong down the right side so Bily could get at the russian fullback who is not the quickest.

I wouldnt play Senderos against Drogba. There are several occassions that Senderos has been embarrassed by him and almost appeared scared of Drogba. It would be great if he did play and had a blinder against him but if history if anything to go by Id much rather he stayed on the bench for this game, at least till he is match fit and settled in and has some confidence to go into the game with.