IGNORED

Chelsea (home)

FairWooney

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Site went down again while the match was on :blink: What a performance by us tho! King Loui was amazing just unplayable at times an had John terry wishing he would have took the week off a little bit earlier!

was great to see Arteta starting a game i didn't think he would be up to speed but he had a great game glad that hes back! Sporting next then man u bring them on!!

What a performance! shame about Louis' penalty miss but he made up for it in clinical fashion:)

It's so nice to see us passing the ball around well and Donovans runs down the wing are exactly what we were missing in the early part of the season.

Bring on Sporting Lisbon, COYB!

p.s I don't think there will be enough humble pie to go round for all the pessimists on this site :P

Rubecula I got quite lucky. I always say I'm going to win the lottery, but I never play :rolleyes: but if you are play these numbers 12-25-21. I had just gotten done teaching for the day and was feeling great. I'm glad to see Saha get his head out of his ass. I missed the game but from what I read and people I talked to it sounded like Landon played well again. I think he is trully ready for English futbol, almost said soccer, and I think there will be a chance he will stay.

What a performance! shame about Louis' penalty miss but he made up for it in clinical fashion:)

It's so nice to see us passing the ball around well and Donovans runs down the wing are exactly what we were missing in the early part of the season.

Bring on Sporting Lisbon, COYB!

p.s I don't think there will be enough humble pie to go round for all the pessimists on this site :P

I was going for a win right from the start :blink:

Never been so happy to be proven wrong. After they scored first, I did think we done for, but credit to the lads, for showing fantastic character. Admittedly Chelsea were not up to form, but that's a valuable three points we got there and I'm happy about that. I may even start predicting losses more often if that's the effect it's gonna have. Looking forward to the Sporting game now, but still not getting ahead of myself as far as Manu are concerned. However, I don't think as strong as they used to be and if Spurs play like they did last night against Wolves theirs a good chance we could get 9 points from the 4 games this month, which would be a great result for us.

Just regarding the Sporting mentions, I spoke to a friend in Porto who says Sporting are in terrible form!

Lost their last four games conceding twelve goals in the process :) .

Wrote this elsewhere last night...

I was so calm at the end....unbelievable.

2006 we were 2-1 up with nine minutes to play. 81st minute Lampard scored and then Drogba got a screamer with three minutes left.

Tonight, stream down, 81st minute BBC text says...

80:47 Frank Lampard takes a shot. Tim Howard makes a save.

I knew it was ours. Karma. I'm normally a wreck in those circumstances but I JUST KNEW IT!!

Great night.

Glad to see Everton bounced back again, we very rarely lose two on the spin. I don't understand why Everton fans are so negative, true we didn't play brilliantly against Liverpool but in general, we've been playing better and competing well for weeks now. We were at home and we are a match for anyone. I don't say I expected a win but I certainly didn't expect a pasting either, I expected us to compete and we did, some need to have a little more faith. At the end of the day Fellaini may be missing and Pienaar suspended but Arteta is better than both of them, he's our best player by a mile and the fitter he gets, the better we'll get. Fellaini has been playing well but he has a long way to go before he is as important to us as Arteta.

Well played blues, let's keep it going and let's see how high we can finish. If only we had beaten Liverpool, we would seriously have been in the hunt for 4th now.

If only we had beaten Liverpool, we would seriously have been in the hunt for 4th now.

Harry Redknapp mention us ("coming into it") when he was asked about the fight for fourth place in his post match interview last night. Still a long shot but in the last six games we've picked up a point on City, two on Liverpool, six on Villa and seven on Spurs.

Be amazed if any of them had an easier (on paper) run-in than us. Fourth may be a bit much but I think we can get sixth.

Harry Redknapp mention us ("coming into it") when he was asked about the fight for fourth place in his post match interview last night. Still a long shot but in the last six games we've picked up a point on City, two on Liverpool, six on Villa and seven on Spurs.

Be amazed if any of them had an easier (on paper) run-in than us. Fourth may be a bit much but I think we can get sixth.

9 points off 4th, perfectly feasible. As ive been saying from the beginning of the season; City and Villa will crumble, Spurs and the Kopites were the only contenders, Kopites more so now because theyve had their bad run. Spurs havent really had theirs yet. But February isnt finished yet, lets see what we get from Manure and Spurs. We take 4 points from that, we are certainly contenders for another European place!

Edited by galacticaracnid

The problem is City, we could really do with Liverpool at least drawing with them in the next match as otherwise they'll be too far ahead with games in hand. I can't see Liverpool winning every match as they lack firepower, Spurs are looking dodgy, Villa aren't very good and then that just leaves City. We need to beat Spurs, if we do that then we're back in with a shot, if not, then I think we're just running out of games. The thing is, I can only see us getting stronger as the season progresses, we have Arteta getting back to fitness, Yak/Anichebe getting back and then it's really just Jags we're missing big time. Let's just hope we have no problems in the Summer as I can honestly see us flying out of the traps next year and staying all season near the top of the table.

The problem is City, we could really do with Liverpool at least drawing with them in the next match as otherwise they'll be too far ahead with games in hand. I can't see Liverpool winning every match as they lack firepower, Spurs are looking dodgy, Villa aren't very good and then that just leaves City. We need to beat Spurs, if we do that then we're back in with a shot, if not, then I think we're just running out of games. The thing is, I can only see us getting stronger as the season progresses, we have Arteta getting back to fitness, Yak/Anichebe getting back and then it's really just Jags we're missing big time. Let's just hope we have no problems in the Summer as I can honestly see us flying out of the traps next year and staying all season near the top of the table.

deja vu! Was thinking the same last season. But then Jags and Arteta got injured and we lost Lescott and had to panic buy. Hope youre right, but i will wait for the end of the season and see who is still walking!

For the first chunk of the first half it was almost painful to watch - we were so static and slow to do anything, we allowed them acres of room to play about in, and hoofed at pretty much every opportunity. But then something just clicked and we remembered how to play football, that we should close them down and hussle them into making mistakes. It paid dividends and because of that we got ontop of the game and we ended up fully deserving the three points. When we play football, and I mean proper passing football, we look damn good and we can give anyone a game and last night showed that. Too often we just choose to rely on grit and determination but we have the skill in equal measures and we should use all of those factors to win us games like we did last night. I feared the worst when we went behind because we're not the best side at coming back and getting the three points, AND it was Chelsea, but we were brilliant after going behind. Can we put another performance like this on against United? I hope so.

Howard - There were a couple of times when he didn't come for balls that he really should have come for but he made a few crucial saves in those last 15 minutes.

Neville - I thought he had an awful game tbh. Fucked up for their goal and instead of going to Anelka when he was coming down that wing he backed off every time.

Heitinga - I thought he was superb and dealt with Drogba extremely well, in the air and on the deck, especially when you consider Drogba has got a good few inches on Johnny.

Distin - I still shit myself whenever the ball goes near him but he was solid last night and made some good blocks when it was getting a bit hairy for us.

Baines - I don't think he had the best defensive performance in truth. It looked more like Bily was playing LB at times because he'd drifted so far inside. But he was brilliant going forward and gave us a good outlet.

Donovan - Top, top, top quality from Landon. He ran them ragged down our right all night long. Even when we started the game badly he was bright. He should be our corner taker because his corners are brilliant and he got another assist from one. I am loving his directness and him being so positive and direct won us that penalty, it's just a shame we didn't convert it. My MOTM.

Osman - I thought he was very wasteful and sloppy with the ball in the early stages of the game, but when we started playing well he was quality tbh and he deserves a lot of praise for coming up with a performance like that against such a physical side like Chelsea.

Arteta - He was just on the edge of things all night IMO, didn't really get stuck in or impose himself on the game. It's understandable though because he's going to be off the pace.

Bily - He got himself into some good positions but his decision making left a lot to be desired. Is it too much to ask for him to lose his man every once in a while too?

Cahill - That, for me, was Cahill's best performance of the season. It was the Cahill that we've all come to expect. He fought for every single ball, kicked their defenders to remind them he was there, chased everything etc etc. Having him playing like that allowed Saha the room to do what he does best because they had more than just him to worry about.

Saha - It's no coincidence that for the first time in a little while he looks bothered about playing and goes on to score a couple of goals. He had a really good game apart from that terrible penalty. I knew he'd miss as soon as he sent Arteta away, it's sod's law.

I was cursing Saha to high heaven when he missed the pk. With Baines, Arteta and The Don all in the side any of them should be taking them before Saha. All, of course, is forgiven though for that brilliant strike. Wonder who Bill's planning to sell to make The Don's deal permanent. Have to think there will be hell to pay if we allow him to leave after the effect he's had.

Actually thought, apart from the goal, that Neville had his best performance since coming back, made a number of really vital challenges and played The Don through nicely a couple of times. He's certainly not got Coleman's forward drive, but he does add a physical presence that I think was crucial last night.

Really impressed with some of the passes Arteta made, but it was him that Drogs beat in the air for the flick to Malouda, that ball would have been Fellaini's every time.

Bily is proving to be an incredibly frustrating player. He clearly has great feet, and, at least sometimes, great vision. Unfortunately, he just makes slightly the wrong decision too often and looks slow. Better positionally today though and starting to link up with Baines.

Heitinga is a monster. Distin mostly looked competent, but the sooner we have Jags back the better.

Can't wait for Sporting after that display.

Just wondered if those who went to the game can comment on how Terry got treated last night?

I only saw Football first and although he got booed with his 1st touch I didnt hear much for the rest of the game?

I went to the Hull V Chelsea game with by brother in law and at 1st it was quite funny but after about 10 minutes the booing became a little boring.

Overall a very decent performance, especially after the slow start but all credit for the team for fighting their way out of it. Some exceptional performances, notably, Osman, Baines, Heittinga and Cahill, if only the same application could have been shown last Saturday, never mind onwards and upwards.

p.s. I predicted 3-1 win and Saha hat-trick during pre-match drinks only to be nearkly laughed out of the pub, how close I was :D

I think its hard to disagree with Romey's comments.

I thought Neville was half good, half bad. He let Malouda in for their goal because of his shocking marking and not too much later he completely let Drogba past him of which I was surprised he didnt go down as it mya have been a very soft penalty. Having said that he came up with a couple of quality interceptions and he looked more comfortable on the ball than usual, maybe it was because of the amount of space he had.

Overall it was a quality performance after we went 1-0 down and everyone got stuck in which was nice to see. Fair play lads now keep it up and dont let it be a one off!

Really good performance from the lads, without Pienaar and Fellaini, who would have thought that!

Quick restoration of pride was just what was needed after the weekend, and credit to Moyes for the changes and the ones he didn't make!

With players missing it just goes to show it's as much about the squad as it is the team.It was great to see Arteta back, but his best is probably some way off yet.Moyes at last puts one over on Chelsea, that will do him a lot of good, and will have him thinking we/he can beat Man Utd.

Good games from most, really important Cahill's back up for the fight.