IGNORED

Sporting Lisbon

MikeO

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to this?

'...a spectacular 3-1 win over Manchester United in the Premier League on Saturday has left the Blues full of confidence and Moyes has promised there will be no change in approach ahead of a landmark night in Lisbon.

"We will play the same way," he said at his pre-match press conference.'

what can you say, we didnt deserve to go through from that performance.

absolute shambles i feel sorry for the lads that went out there to watch it.

Just as my dad predicted that last minute goal at goodison did it. we were just to afraid of losing to play as we can. If theres one thing you can rely on everton being and thats being unreliable. i'm off to finish this bottle of cider and end the night out in the garden in the rain howling at the sky in shame.

Sorry, guys. Our lads knew this was the game of the season, we're out of every other competition, their confidence levels are shot, we were in a 7 game no-win streak, tied for worse in our history, and finally they delivered. I'd hope we didn't meet this soon out of groups, and I wouldn't begrudge a knockout, given our season, but in all fairness, we needed this result more than you, we're playing porto this sunday, and I doubt we'll even get a draw there.

One of the worst performances I have ever witnessed in recent years from Everton, right up there with the 1st half of the Birmingham game and the shit we played against Liverpool.

Barely any of them could give a fuck, tactics were fucking pathetic and we handed them the game after the 1st whistle. In fact we gave them the game at Goodison, not becuase of the late penalty but by the way we sat off them and let them have the ball and sat back like a bunch of pussies.

Why do we go at teams like Chelsea, Man Utd, City yet sit back against shite like this. Lets be honest they were fucking awful and for us to be worse than them is quite an achievement.

Both Neville and Billy can fuck off from the 1st team for a while. Pathetic.

moyes got it so so wrong...rodwell instead of bily if they are going to play negative bily doesnt look up to playing 2 games a week...or coleman and neville in midfield cos we were never going to get the possession we did at home and needed someone to clear up a bit more in midfield and osman just isn't upto that...all that hard work last season thrown away

We bottled it, again, and went out with less than a fucking wimper! What a bunch of pussies.

What happened to attacking and going to win like was said before the game? It was bullshit, total bullshit. We didn't even attempt to attack and I don't think we even had a shot til early in the second half did we? Did Moyes seriously believe playing so embarrasingly negative was the way to go? If he did then he needs shooting for a complete fuck up. When we did get the ball we looked to lump it up top as early as possible, but Saha had absolutely no support so was totally isolated all night meaning the ball came straight back at us quick as anything. Learn FFS!

What happened to showing everyone that we were better than what we showed against Benfica? Because we were equally as bad as that night, if not worse.

I feel sorry for the brilliant fans who made there way out there to be served up that utter shite. The club should give them their money back if they've got anything about them. A disgraceful performance.

Howard - Thank you Tim, you saved us from being even more humiliated with some top drawer saves, and for that he got my MOTM vote.

Neville - You wouldn't think he had European experience in the bucketload after last night. Showed absolutely nothing going forward and was fucking terrible defensively. He was also a main culprit for hoofing the bastard ball to no one in particular. Even his throw-ins went to no one more often than not.

Yobo - Hoofed a bit often but I didn't think he played as bad as others, infact he had a decent game. I felt sorry for him having Senderos next to him tbh.

Senderos - He was having a 'mare til his injury. He was getting far too tight to their players and getting turned like it was child's play. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as slow and as cumbersome as this fella; he makes Titus Bramble look like an elegant swan.

Baines - Looked much better defensively than he has done recently, and he was the only one looking to attack all night long and you could see him getting frustrated with players not moving infront of him.

Bily - Oh dear. He must have accumulated about 30 seconds in total on the ball last night because every time he got it he lost it.

Arteta - A passenger, that is all.

Osman - We seen absolutely nothing of Ossie because he had to follow Moutinho around all night.

Donovan - Was he playing? Obviously this game wasn't big enough for him <_<.

Pienaar - We needed him to take control for us last night but he didn't even come close, very disappointing.

Saha - Totally isolated because he had no support from the midfield and he was feeding of scraps, if that. I could feel his frustration.

Edited by Romey 1878

It's a good job this site went down as I was fuming last night and probably still am even now. I don't like swearing in posts but I'm tempted now, that was ANOTHER disgrace. The most annoying thing is reading the press beforehand - Neville with all his 'we're going to make up for Benfica, we're going to show Lisbon what we're really about' and Moyes saying how 'we're going to attack and go for goals.' YEAH, RIGHT. We were a disgrace. No shot on goal until about 65 minutes in, no corner until about 70 minutes. We made them look like world beaters. I love Moyes but his cup record (barring last season's FA Cup) is an absolute joke. EVERY time we come up against a remotely half decent team we get beat, every single time. I knew as soon as I saw that the second leg was away from home that we would be in trouble. We have no idea how to play a two leg match, we don't know how to defend a lead and play professionally - Benitez is usually the master of it, the counter attacking style, we're just abysmal.

The sad thing is I wasn't even that surprised by the performance and the even sadder thing is I'm now more confident that we will beat Spurs at the weekend. We usually respond to adversity. I've never seen a quality team play as badly as we did last night - except for us on other occasions. Only we can play that badly. Bily was a total joke, absolutely criminal performance. Donovan was a waste of space except for a couple of moments. Arteta was way off it, but to be fair he kept going, he worked his socks off and was the only one really pushing at the end for an equaliser.

When will our players learn? you can't start off in first gear then suddenly jump to fifth, it is almost impossible to get out of a run, out of a negative mindframe. I think last night also advocated why teams rotate, Osman and Arteta looked absolutely knackered after about an hour, only Pienaar seemed to have any energy. We need to learn some lessons, Anichebe should have been on, Rodwell maybe. Moyes needs to stop kissing certain players asses and rotate now and again.

Neville was rubbish, why Moyes constantly leaves him on for 90 minutes when he offers as little as he did last night I'll never know, Coleman would have made a big difference and given them something to think about, we needed some pace and fresh legs. Saha hardly won a header all night yet we hoofed incessantly and when he did win a header there was no one within 20 yards. how we missed Cahill's drive and commitment.

There are times when I am ashamed to be an Evertonian, last night was one of those times. No wonder we struggle to sign the big names, anyone watching that must think we're the least talented team on earth. The portuguese must think we're total mugs.

Absolutely shameful. If we lose to Tottenham then our season is basically over already. Not good enough. Why do we even bother entering cup competitions if we're going to go out of all of them without so much as a fight.

Embarrassing. Moyes better make some big time changes on Sunday, he needs to start sending a message after that. Neville should be out, Bily shouldn't play again this season. I'd quite like to see Anichebe up front with Saha. Let's have a bloody go and get stuck in, get some damn pride back.

Wrote this as the site went down last night, can't be bothered to relive and rephrase/write it, so I'll just give it as I thought last night:

Embarrassing, awful, shocking, unacceptable, there are just no words to describe how bad that was. I was afraid of this before the match, and it the thing I hate about this team, just the sheer crap inconsistency, we've play really well this month and looking as if we're getting back to form and then they go and pull out a performance like that. It stinks, I've been extremely proud of the lads this month, this year actually, but tonight there was virtually nothing to be proud of, the first half looking as if we were just there to make up the numbers. The second half wasn't much better, and it wasn't until we were chasing the game, that we seemed to come to life a little, meaning we actually had the ball in their half, but with 5 minutes to go, that's unacceptable.

We needed to get at them from the start, attack and get the first goal, that would have seen us through. Instead, we stood off, we let them play, we gave them time, and half the team looked as if they'd just rolled out of bed and hadn't had their Weetabix yet. Just not good enough at all and I'm gutted.

Still feel pretty much the seem now, just a bit more simmered-down, still gutted though. Don't even feel like looking forward to the Spurs game at the moment.

From the BBC report...

"It was far from the humiliation that the Toffees suffered on their previous visit to Lisbon - the 5-0 drubbing at Benfica earlier in the competition...."

It was worse for me because the expectation was so much higher. Not been this depressed about a "performance" for a long time. Wretched. Beyond understanding.

I played sport at highish levels many years back and I know that sometimes things don't quite click into place as well as they do at others. But you should still have a basic level of ability and competence. I just don't understand :( .

Everton football seems like poor football. I saw the game against United and i liked the style of Everton. Played very well. But Sporting did yesterday the best game of this year. We simply smash your team.

Some supporters didn't see the game they simple get drunked and stoned in down city. Sporting You will never walk alone.

Best wishes

The worst thing for me was that until they got the goal Sporting were crap as well. All night they seemed to be passing the ball into touch... Its not as if we met a team on form, or who played brilliantly. We just played so badly I think even my local 5 a side team could have beaten them.

I dont understand why we get into the faces of the best teams in the league yet we sit back at let crap teams play football and get confidence on the ball. We had the chance yesterday to get in their face force mistakes and score a few goals to send a message to the rest of Europe. Now they all know we are pussies when people get in our face and hassle us.

Fucking pathetic... Its a toss up between this and the Liverpool game for the worst I have ever felt and I am truly dissapointed to be an Evertonian and I never thought I would say that about the club I love...

From the BBC report...

"It was far from the humiliation that the Toffees suffered on their previous visit to Lisbon - the 5-0 drubbing at Benfica earlier in the competition...."

It was worse for me because the expectation was so much higher. Not been this depressed about a "performance" for a long time. Wretched. Beyond understanding.

I played sport at highish levels many years back and I know that sometimes things don't quite click into place as well as they do at others. But you should still have a basic level of ability and competence. I just don't understand :( .

sums it up perfectly for me. i still feel sick and completely bemused. But i have to say that as soon as they had that away goal we were in trouble, let alone taking one of our defenders out through suspension at the same time. It gave them a massive mental advantage and as usual we sat on our lead thinking we could hold it. Im glad i couldnt watch it by the sounds of things. They seriously better take this out on Spurs as signs of an apology. See you all next week, im off to Rio for a day trip tomorrow before getting home to see my lady, only for about 15hrs before the next flight but theyre the only things keeping me happy at the moment...

Sporting were supurb with their tactics, they knew what they had to do, they were ready for a major battle.....imagine their surprise when Everton didn't turn up :angry: .......well some blokes with Blue shirts were on the same pitch as them, there was a Russian, an American and a bloke from Spain, but they didn't actually get involved, unfortunatly they were all in midfield....so the defence were over run and the lone forward got no service...

Wasn't just that trio to be fair, Howard, Baines, Yobo, Pienaar and Saha at least had a go.

At last I'm happy I've had a knee operation, I can hide in the fuc%ing house and not have to go to work.Emarrassed, ashamed and fed up.

Moyes must take some of the blame, his team and tactics.....though to be fair if Arteta, Donovan and Bily had actually played it might have ended differently.

Pity the poor fans that traveled.

Sporting were supurb with their tactics, they knew what they had to do, they were ready for a major battle.....imagine their surprise when Everton didn't turn up :angry: .......well some blokes with Blue shirts were on the same pitch as them, there was a Russian, an American and a bloke from Spain, but they didn't actually get involved, unfortunatly they were all in midfield....so the defence were over run and the lone forward got no service...

Wasn't just that trio to be fair, Howard, Baines, Yobo, Pienaar and Saha at least had a go.

At last I'm happy I've had a knee operation, I can hide in the fuc%ing house and not have to go to work.Emarrassed, ashamed and fed up.

Moyes must take some of the blame, his team and tactics.....though to be fair if Arteta, Donovan and Bily had actually played it might have ended differently.

Pity the poor fans that traveled.

The problem, to me, was at half time. While we were indeed playing well, getting possession and creating a few chances, we hadn't scored. At half time, Moyes should have changed things. Everton needed more possession to dictate the tempo, and force Sporting to make mistakes, since clearly just waiting wasn't working. He was risking a goal, which eventually happened, and when he finally pushed them forward, it was too late.