IGNORED

Sporting Lisbon

MikeO

Sporting got a 0-0 draw yesterday at Olhanense (who :unsure: ?).

We beat United.

Only one winner on Thursday surely?

Certainly should be....saw nothing to be afraid of last Tuesday...the right attitude and we should be through. Central defence is the one question...Yobo and Senderos (if fit) I guess. No Senderos then Duffy? Neville in the middle with Coleman at right back? Or maybe even Rodwell in there.

I'm going for a 2-1 win. Ossie and Arteta.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like the thinkin Mike, for me gotta be Pip in the middle with Yobo and young Coleman in at RB. Can you imagine his pace and strength supporting Donovan?! Only thing is im not sure how comfortable i feel about pushing Yobo over towards Baines side of the field, hes normally with the RB right? If we bring Duffy in we lose Coleman but have a more natural CB in place instead of Pip. I know DM has Rodwell down for a CB one day, but i dont think he is ready now.

One thing that worries me is this away goal that theyve got. If we score, we are through. But 1-0 to the home team normally is a good bet. A little nervous, shouldve been clear cut...

If we can be leading by half time in this, say 1-0 or 2-0 then I'd take off Saha and Arteta/Pienaar at half-time and then another player after about 70 minutes. We need to make sure we qualify but Sporting looked weak and now that 4th is looking a possibility in the league I think we seriously need to give some thought to our biggest match of the season - Spurs at the weekend - if we're winning this match and looking comfortable. We need fresh legs for Tottenham, I'd like to see Anichebe given a run out, maybe Yakubu and Rodwell/Coleman as well. I don't want to risk losing but we have enough good players now to mix up the squad a little and keep players fresh without weakening the team a great deal.

I just hope Moyes doesn't set the stall out to sit back and try to not concede, you've seen it time and time again in Europe when teams try to hold on in the second leg with an away goal against them, it breeds nerves and all it takes is one cock-up (like their penalty) and suddenly we're behind. We're bang in form, we're the better side, we should be going out to dominate them and put the tie to bed by half-time. Then as Carl says, we can start thinking about the 'six-pointer' on Sunday

doesn't ESPN have different programming depending on the country you're in? I think you need to get local listings.

I have ESPN and ESPN-Brazil so i think the 1st one is international. It had the shite on last week but wanted to make sure we were being broadcasted. thanks for the warning though...

Im fairly sure Moyes will bring in Senderos for Distin and keep the same side that played against Man U. I am personally bricking it with these two together. I dont know how well Senderos will do without someone barking at him but he did play well against Wigan and he has plenty European experience.

For me that defence is our only weakness and it was exposed against Sporting as they did have a couple of good chances. i find we tend to sit off a bit more in Europe and it will be our downfall if we do it again. High intensity, in their face, force them to make mistakes and break their already fragile confidence. If we sit back and let them play, they will gain confidence (like they did at times at Goodison), string a couple of passes together and create a chance that may or may not go in, but that in turn will ignite the crowd and may get the team going.

Hopefully thats something Fergie told Moyes in their post match conflab as to go out against Sporting would be criminal.

After Chelsea and Man Utd, confidence will be high.Can't see us not scoring to be honest .....problem is will they, if they don't, we will win simple as that.If we can get a couple of goals up early, that would make it 4-1, with two away goals, they would need to score 4 to beat us......so, what a great chance to rest some players.I'm sure whoever he brings on wont let us down.

Edited by Blue 250

Im fairly sure Moyes will bring in Senderos for Distin and keep the same side that played against Man U. I am personally bricking it with these two together. I dont know how well Senderos will do without someone barking at him but he did play well against Wigan and he has plenty European experience.

For me that defence is our only weakness and it was exposed against Sporting as they did have a couple of good chances. i find we tend to sit off a bit more in Europe and it will be our downfall if we do it again. High intensity, in their face, force them to make mistakes and break their already fragile confidence. If we sit back and let them play, they will gain confidence (like they did at times at Goodison), string a couple of passes together and create a chance that may or may not go in, but that in turn will ignite the crowd and may get the team going.

Hopefully thats something Fergie told Moyes in their post match conflab as to go out against Sporting would be criminal.

Yobo will play if fit, not Senderos.

Is Senderos fit? If so...

Howard

Neville Yobo Senderos Baines

Donovan Arteta Osman Pienaar Bily

Yak

Saha should be given a rest. I'm interested to see a link up between Baines, Pienaar and Bily. Think they could conjure some magic among them. If Senderos isn't fit...Neville to the middle and Coleman on.

It's on Channel 5 btw lads.

i was gonna say i thought our away games are on CH5 and home on ESPN...

as for the game i agree if we score we go through i think it is as simple as that..defence obviously depends on senderos being fit or not but i never saw anything in their side to worry me at all whoever comes in

Is Senderos fit? If so...

Howard

Neville Yobo Senderos Baines

Donovan Arteta Osman Pienaar Bily

Yak

Saha should be given a rest. I'm interested to see a link up between Baines, Pienaar and Bily. Think they could conjure some magic among them. If Senderos isn't fit...Neville to the middle and Coleman on.

I agree with giving Saha a rest but would still have him play for at least 45 mins before bringing the yak on. we need at least 1 away goal and until we have that, i know who i would rather have up front....

Midfield made me smile though!

Well after the good luck charm of my prediction pre-United. Im going for the same again...3-1 to us. Theres no point in me prediciting goalscorers, i didnt even get one right last time!

Will be interesting to see if Jags makes the bench, just incase yobo or...ermmm..have to be taken off. I can see our substitutions being a little more effective from now on, theres more competition for places so players will have to take every opportunity they get and work their socks off. I hope Yakubu reads this haha.

Benfica cruised through tonight, 4-0 destruction of Hertha Berlin to win 5-1 on aggregate.

I'd love to play them in the final :) .

I'd rather play someone less capable......like erm, liverpool.

To get to the final would be fantastic, to stuff either Benfica or luckypool, would be the icing on the cake.....BUT, I'd be happy to take less credit and beat anyone.

Well after the good luck charm of my prediction pre-United. Im going for the same again...3-1 to us. Theres no point in me prediciting goalscorers, i didnt even get one right last time!

Will be interesting to see if Jags makes the bench, just incase yobo or...ermmm..have to be taken off. I can see our substitutions being a little more effective from now on, theres more competition for places so players will have to take every opportunity they get and work their socks off. I hope Yakubu reads this haha.

He is Traveling (Dont know wether this means he is on the bench or not?) But i think we are looking at a Partnership of Yobo and a Half Fit Senderos at the Back, which Tbh isnt THAT bad a partnership, More than capable of dealing with whatever they threw at us last time.

Im going with a 2-0 to us. :P