IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I've given us options of Remy, Welbeck, Bony, Origi, Batshuayi, I repeat "options".

Bony looks lazy? Really? Not when I have seen him, he works his socks off, really gives defenders a tough time.

Lukaku actually miscontrolled a simple pass on the half way line against WBA and they equalised - it really is an important factor to have more than just a poachers instinct.

I'll say in advance that I would probably take all of these strikers, but I don't see how you can downgrade Lukaku when these three in bold have yet to prove what Lukaku already has in the PL, that he is a goal scorer, especially Origi.

The jury is still out on Bony, in my opinion, but I doubt don't that he'll be decent enough. I'd still rather have Lukaku because of his age and the fact that he won't be at ACON.

Remy is the only one in that list of options that I could see replicating his form over the last two seasons, but even then, I think I'd want Lukaku just because of his sell-on value if it doesn't work. I also think Remy is a bit of a mercenary and his reputation isn't the greatest for what we usually expect at Everton.

I'll say in advance that I would probably take all of these strikers, but I don't see how you can downgrade Lukaku when these three in bold have yet to prove what Lukaku already has in the PL, that he is a goal scorer, especially Origi.

The jury is still out on Bony, in my opinion, but I doubt don't that he'll be decent enough. I'd still rather have Lukaku because of his age and the fact that he won't be at ACON.

Remy is the only one in that list of options that I could see replicating his form over the last two seasons, but even then, I think I'd want Lukaku just because of his sell-on value if it doesn't work. I also think Remy is a bit of a mercenary and his reputation isn't the greatest for what we usually expect at Everton.

Welbeck would not be the answer. Not a striker! Will never get you 20+ goals.

He is very one dimensional in the sense that he is a "poacher" not a player. Yes he can score the odd dynamic goal when getting a run on his man, however barring that he is very much an 18 yard box operator.

I will use Giroud as an example, previously very much maligned - because he wasn't Thierry Henry, Ian Wright or RVP.... typical Arsenal elitest mentality. The lad is a far more complete striker than Lukaku, tremendous touch, great ability to hold up the ball and link up play and he scores goals. Nigh on a 1 in 2 striker - he cost Arsenal £9.6m at the age of 25. I expect him to bang in 20 goals next season. His assist record for a striker with a good rate is excellent 4 highest assists in prem last year.

But we are looking at spending £20m plus on a player who does not have the consistency of touch that Giroud has, the ability to take the ball when marked.

My point being in short is that Lukaku is being seen as such a depseration buy like a bloke viewing a half fit bird at ten to two on a saturday night. The reality is that the night is young, and there are plenty of fitter girls.

That first sentence is enough to know that there is no point trying to reason with you.

Agree with this, he actually does look like he's got lead in his boots. I'm not too sure where all these superb attributes are coming from, he's like a tank when he gets momentum - the thing is defenders have cottoned on to this.

He went on a run of scoring 1 goal in 11 games... the 1 in 2 ratio etc etc doersn't pick up on this. At the stage when he went through this drought we were 9 points off 4th place having been in there up till then. We drew 1-1 away to stoke with a last minute pen from Baines, he was awful in that game, he was awful against WBA when we drew.

Thing is in this drought he really did offer very little. In the crucial end to the season where we had 4th spot in our own hands he produced two of the worst centre forward displays of the season against Southampton away and Palace at home.

Its amazing how people forget such performances, sure he's not the only one to have the odd bad game but we are talking about blowing a ridiculopus amount of £££ on someone who for me is no where near where people think he is as a player.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle, I agree he isn't as good as some people make out but I also don't think he is anywhere near as bad as you make him out to be plus he has got plenty of time to improve his game

Oh and if you mean WBA away he also set up the equaliser in that game for Mirallas!

His inexperience at the highest level is apparent at this World Cup but he is playing in a team of individuals who all seem intent on trying to outdo each other instead of striving for the common good so maybe that's why he looks a bit lost. The Belgian squad are trying to give the impression they all grew up together, making chocolate and writing boring European legislation but they're no more than a bunch of very samey players who are now scattered around various leagues and they meet up a couple of times a year to see who's earning what.

If he does command a stupid price I hope we don't pay it or that he chooses somebody else because he isn't worth it........ yet. He might be, one day, but not yet.

I'm in the same league of posters that don't rate Lukaku so must be stooped too to be fair.

sorry I don't mean I don't rate him at all, I just think players like Bony would be a better fit and more reliable than him.

I think what Haf see's is that although Lukaku did score goals last season... how many would an average striker of scored with those exact same chances?

and how many others might those average strikers have put away by working a little harder?

or that's the way I look at him.

He can finish agreed. It's what he does off the ball that bothers me.

have any of you noticed the size of the guy? hes a pretty big lad.

so how come he cant control a ball when standing with his back to a defender? ok he isn't the worst but he's not 20m either.

Now he is a young lad and he may make people like myself look foolish if he fulfils his potential. but when we are in the position Everton are in you have to question any transfers that are going to break our transfer record and look at them very closely. can we risk 20m on potential?

Guest blueboy122

I'm in the same league of posters that don't rate Lukaku so must be stooped too to be fair.

sorry I don't mean I don't rate him at all, I just think players like Bony would be a better fit and more reliable than him.

I think what Haf see's is that although Lukaku did score goals last season... how many would an average striker of scored with those exact same chances?

and how many others might those average strikers have put away by working a little harder?

so how come he cant control a ball when standing with his back to a defender? ok he isn't the worst but he's not 20m either.

Now he is a young lad and he may make people like myself look foolish if he fulfils his potential. but when we are in the position Everton are in you have to question any transfers that are going to break our transfer record and look at them very closely. can we risk 20m on potential?

Good posts and I am also one of the doubters regarding Lukaku. I am convinced that there are better cheaper options than Lukaku.

Football is a very fickle world.

Last year our great performance was all down to our loans "Lukaku, Barry and Deulofeu - especially Lukaku" - yeah we heard every pundit and non fan say it, and that we will struggle next season without them...

They just kinda missed James McCarthy in all of this, for me the single most important player we had. Not for his passing, goals, or anything that a glancing fan would look for, but for his ability to make the team play. He allowed full backs to bomb on, he allowed Barkley to express himself, he stopped the other team playing. He basically did all the dirty work... when he didn't play we missed him so much. Crystal Palace for example we were 2-0 down, he came on 2 minutes later 2-1, we scored another in 86th minute and despite conceding another you could see our midfield get a grip.

Its the sort of stuff that just irritates me no end.

Football is a very fickle world.

Last year our great performance was all down to our loans "Lukaku, Barry and Deulofeu - especially Lukaku" - yeah we heard every pundit and non fan say it, and that we will struggle next season without them...

They just kinda missed James McCarthy in all of this, for me the single most important player we had. Not for his passing, goals, or anything that a glancing fan would look for, but for his ability to make the team play. He allowed full backs to bomb on, he allowed Barkley to express himself, he stopped the other team playing. He basically did all the dirty work... when he didn't play we missed him so much. Crystal Palace for example we were 2-0 down, he came on 2 minutes later 2-1, we scored another in 86th minute and despite conceding another you could see our midfield get a grip.

Its the sort of stuff that just irritates me no end.

Honestly the Palace game relating to McCarthy just irritates me! it's not a general example it's the only example. What about our worst defeat of the season away at Anfield where was he then allowing us to play? He's was not the most superior player it was in a whole combination of everyone. To base it on one game is just stupid and clutching at straws.

Honestly the Palace game relating to McCarthy just irritates me! it's not a general example it's the only example. What about our worst defeat of the season away at Anfield where was he then allowing us to play? He's was not the most superior player it was in a whole combination of everyone. To base it on one game is just stupid and clutching at straws.

errr....

If you're going to base his importance on one game at least make it the game where we looked most vulnerable and that was at Anfield. The Palace game was just one of them. Absolutely nothing to do with McCarthy. Martinez played. Mirallas, Deulofeu and Mcgeady all in the same team. Plus they were on a great run.

Yes the 4-1 defeat at Anfield was all McCarthy's fault and had nothing to do with the ridiculous high defensive line we played which allowed them the expose the half fit alcaraz and jags,

in fact here is your post actually stating as such...

Jagielka + Alcaraz = no pace. See fourth goal. There wasn't much else we could have done tonight. But that partnership is a recipient for disaster.

Jagielka was absolutely shocking, it's always been the same if he hasn't got pace covering him he gets exposed

If you're going to base his importance on one game at least make it the game where we looked most vulnerable and that was at Anfield. The Palace game was just one of them. Absolutely nothing to do with McCarthy. Martinez played. Mirallas, Deulofeu and Mcgeady all in the same team. Plus they were on a great run.

To base it on one game is just stupid and clutching at straws.

Point is youre contradicting yourself, using Anfield as a counter argument. I actually agree with you but saying you cant use 1 game as proof, then providing 1 game as proof is just, well... hilarious :lol:

Yes the 4-1 defeat at Anfield was all McCarthy's fault and had nothing to do with the ridiculous high defensive line we played which allowed them the expose the half fit alcaraz and jags,

in fact here is your post actually stating as such...

Jagielka + Alcaraz = no pace. See fourth goal. There wasn't much else we could have done tonight. But that partnership is a recipient for disaster.

Jagielka was absolutely shocking, it's always been the same if he hasn't got pace covering him he gets exposed

It was 4-0 btw.

......We could say that about the palace game. In your opening post above you basically said we lost against Palace because McCarthy wasn't playing,you called it an example. It's the only example. We've performed just as bad away at West Brom, Liverpool and Southampton where he was playing. If he was as good as you make out he wouldn't be at Everton. Fact.

Point is youre contradicting yourself, using Anfield as a counter argument. I actually agree with you but saying you cant use 1 game as proof, then providing 1 game as proof is just, well... hilarious :lol:

I used it as a counter example and my point was Liverpool was by far the worst performance so base it on that at least. I'd even say Southampton away was just as bad.

I used it as a counter example and my point was Liverpool was by far the worst performance so base it on that at least. I'd even say Southampton away was just as bad.

After saying using 1 game as a reference was clutching at straws! At least find another few examples or dont pull someone up on only using 1 game as reference. That was my point.

The McCarthy debate with me is probably the same as the Lukaku debate for Hafnia. I thing Mccarthy does his job but he's far from a world beater. He's still very raw IMO. To suggest he's the sole reason for us doing well last season is just way off the mark.

Barry was a revelation

Barkley shot into the scene

Coleman became a major outlet

Lukaku scored plenty

I could go on and on. Suggesting this was all because of McCarthy and basing it on the Palace performance just ain't right. You'd need more than that to convince me we aren't a good side without him.

The McCarthy debate with me is probably the same as the Lukaku debate for Hafnia. I thing Mccarthy does his job but he's far from a world beater. He's still very raw IMO. To suggest he's the sole reason for us doing well last season is just way off the mark.

Barry was a revelation

Barkley shot into the scene

Coleman became a major outlet

Lukaku scored plenty

I could go on and on. Suggesting this was all because of McCarthy and basing it on the Palace performance just ain't right. You'd need more than that to convince me we aren't a good side without him.

Barry was a revelation alongside the quicker, hungrier McCarthy.

Barkley was allowed licence to roam and express himself because McCarthy was there (alongside Barry) to clear up his messes

Coleman was able to get forward more because he had cover from McCarthy, who (like Barry with Baines) covered the RB area during an attack.

The point is that McCarthy was instrumental, truly a lynch pin and deserves just as much, if not more, recognition as those you mentioned. He was my player of the year for exactly the reasons mentioned above and more.