IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I think strachan nailed the point, Origi made things happen. Showed appetite, I've seen Rom do what he did today on several occassions for Everton.

so far as I remember, he won a header which he ran on to and keeper did well, and did made a good run for the goal. Otherwise, nothing.

It was one game. Cristiano Ronaldo looked like shit in one game. It amazes me how small of a sample size some of you guys are willing to base things off of.

His touch was shite yet again. Another game where when things aren't happening he goes missing. I've seen this a good few times before.

Ronaldo was absent against Germany too.

No point arguing with you though, you've made your mind up

It's all very well looking a good player when things are going your way, when the team play nice easy through balls and you aren't needing to show other fundamental attributes.

This has been my beef with lukaku since late last year. This has nothing to do with ronaldo, who is effectively a one man team.

Lukakus contribution barring goals is not good enough. A modern day Tony cottee is not what we need, at £20m plus I'll pass.

I give up. For someone with so much footballing knowledge, your stubbornness is incredible.

What? It's as clear as day, closely marked he can't operate, yeah they tightly marked him and he can't deal with it.

You want us to spend top dollar on a forward with limitations on parts of his game that will allow other teams to nullify him?

He scored 15 goals for us, I would expect any half decent forward to have done that for us last season. I really do not see the massive attraction with him.

What? It's as clear as day, closely marked he can't operate, yeah they tightly marked him and he can't deal with it.

You want us to spend top dollar on a forward with limitations on parts of his game that will allow other teams to nullify him?

He scored 15 goals for us, I would expect any half decent forward to have done that for us last season. I really do not see the massive attraction with him.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound disrespectful. Got too much time for you to mean to offend (despite our near constant disagreements! :lol: )

My point is you play to players strengths and Belgium, as with Everton after he came back from injury, didnt do that. I wont bring his age up again, nor his goalscoring record, because Im not sure that under debate.

Today, Lukaku was given no service and was clearly suffering from his knock from the friendly game. I dont think thats fair to judge him on. He did show his poor touch again today once or twice, though the passes were launched at him. That will improve, though never be his strongest attribute.

20m for me is still about right and we would make a profit on him. He will end up playing for one of the best teams in the world in 5 years time, Ive no doubt.

Sorry, didnt mean to sound disrespectful. Got too much time for you to mean to offend (despite our near constant disagreements! :lol: )

My point is you play to players strengths and Belgium, as with Everton after he came back from injury, didnt do that. I wont bring his age up again, nor his goalscoring record, because Im not sure that under debate.

Today, Lukaku was given no service and was clearly suffering from his knock from the friendly game. I dont think thats fair to judge him on. He did show his poor touch again today once or twice, though the passes were launched at him. That will improve, though never be his strongest attribute.

20m for me is still about right and we would make a profit on him. He will end up playing for one of the best teams in the world in 5 years time, Ive no doubt.

The thing is though that if you're the more talented team, you're probably not going to be able to play to Lukaku's strengths. I'm sure we would have loved to have Lukaku sit at the halfway line and hoof balls over the top for him to chase all game long, but Algeria's game plan didn't allow for that. I'm sure we would have loved countering with a winger able to break through and put a cross in for Lukaku to run onto, but Algeria sat deep all game long and held 11 men behind the ball.

To be fair to Lukaku the whole side were poor prior to the substitutions not just himself and Algeria who are a better side than people give them credit for did a good job of slowing the game and nullifying most of what Belgium had to offer.

He didn't look a 100% match fit to me and should probably have been used in the last 20 minutes rather than from the start.

Generally I share similar views to you Haf and I do to a certain extent on Lukaku but Algeria simply had his number as Mexico did with Neymar and Holland did with Costa two men stick tight and job done tactics will nine times out of ten out do individual talent....

I like Lukaku, I just dont 20mil like him. I kinda 15mil like him tho

£15m is about right. Its his lower level performances and games where defenders have his number that concern me.

Strikers good games vs bad games should not be determined by the reliability of them "controlling a football and being able to find a team mate" - Lukaku's are.

I can handle him heading over, missing the target every now and then, but I just can't accept a footballer without the ability to look after the ball when it needs looking after.

Yeah and for me he is worth it, the ACN would bother me but he is a complete forward.

Have you watched Swansea all season? From what I have seen from Bony (which isn't alot i'll admit) he is very much a similar player to Lukaku.

If we get him then I hope he is as good as you say, just wondering how you think he is worth it yet a player who is 5 years younger still developing isn't?

Have you watched Swansea all season? From what I have seen from Bony (which isn't alot i'll admit) he is very much a similar player to Lukaku.

If we get him then I hope he is as good as you say, just wondering how you think he is worth it yet a player who is 5 years younger still developing isn't?

He's far better linking up play than Lukaku, better in the air depsite being a few inches shorter. He just does not get knocked off the ball - at all, he uses his strength whereas Lukaku seems off balance.

Give Lukau 5 years - give him 10 years - that touch of his is here to stay.

Lukaku is quicker, Bony has a better strike on him.

In short Bony is ideal for our play.