IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I think lukaku needs to take a step back and seriously consider where his journey with Chelsea is taking him, three loan spells in three seasons when he's proved to be more than capable at this level for a side that's crying out for a proven striker and being put behind the likes of Torres Ba and Eto

I'd find it very disheartening and quite an insult tbh how he's being handled as a makeweight and put behind out of sorts strikers.

The obvious trouble with clubs like Chelsea is that there's every chance if he does go to Spain and when his loan spell is up they will just go out and splash the cash again once again putting him down the pecking order.

The way I see it is this. If he was the "£20m is worth it for him as he is going to get better" - mourinho would keep him. No question at all.

Missed development? Yes. Again I repeat after his formative football years his first touch is not going to improve a massive deal. I remember Roy wegerle years ago saying that any kids wanting to be a good striker should have someone kick the ball at them and learn to kill the ball with any body part. He may get a little better in this regard and yes he is going to be a good solid player. I do not think he is going to be world class though.

If we pay £20m for him it will be a good thing for the club in some ways - attract other players etc as he will be seen as somewhat of a marquee signing. But I think we will have spent our budget on him.

I think lukaku needs to take a step back and seriously consider where his journey with Chelsea is taking him, three loan spells in three seasons when he's proved to be more than capable at this level for a side that's crying out for a proven striker and being put behind the likes of Torres Ba and Eto

I'd find it very disheartening and quite an insult tbh how he's being handled as a makeweight and put behind out of sorts strikers.

The obvious trouble with clubs like Chelsea is that there's every chance if he does go to Spain and when his loan spell is up they will just go out and splash the cash again once again putting him down the pecking order.

Lukaku would probably not perform quite as well for Chelsea as he does for Everton. That is cause teams play more deefensively against Chelsea, so Romelu gets less space and time to controll a ball. Moreover, Chelsea's assists come more through the middle. Their attacking mids dribble all over the pitch, but Lukaku is at his best when the assists come from the wings, as is usually the case with Everton. Hypothetically he would probably perform better at Real Madrid than at Chelsea, cause he would make quick breaks with assist coming from the sides by speedy wingers like Ronaldo and Bale, or even Di Maria. With which I'm not saying he's fit for Real, but I use the example to explain my theory.

Lukaku would probably not perform quite as well for Chelsea as he does for Everton. That is cause teams play more deefensively against Chelsea, so Romelu gets less space and time to controll a ball. Moreover, Chelsea's assists come more through the middle. Their attacking mids dribble all over the pitch, but Lukaku is at his best when the assists come from the wings, as is usually the case with Everton. Hypothetically he would probably perform better at Real Madrid than at Chelsea, cause he would make quick breaks with assist coming from the sides by speedy wingers like Ronaldo and Bale, or even Di Maria. With which I'm not saying he's fit for Real, but I use the example to explain my theory.

That has very little to do with what i said and doesn't make much sense as that could be said of most if not every player....

I must have watched a different season as most of his goals came centrally your point would stand if he scored plenty of headers or one touch wonders from crosses but he does not for me he's far better running centrally into the box with the ball at his feet then from fast paced ball's as said his control can be piss poor at times.

If you compare those three mentioned all three have better control and first touch than Lukaku who is probably stronger at playing through the middle so those mentioned would be better suited to the style of play you say Lukuka is and vice versa so it makes no sense to me.

Guest Nikica

God I hope we are not in for Maloney

Maloney is better than McGeady imo, have said that ever since their Celtic days. A bit past it now though.

"The way I see it is this. If he was the "£20m is worth it for him as he is going to get better" - mourinho would keep him. No question at all."

Bit of an appeal to authority there. Mourinho has made plenty of mistakes, especially in the recent past. The sale of Mata probably cost them the ability to break down defensive lower-end teams and hence the league. Mourinho is also a pariah in Madrid where they don't rate him. He's a top manager but he isn't infallible. What he would do isn't necessarily the correct thing. In fact, the 'special one' shite has been found out now.

"I must have watched a different season as most of his goals came centrally your point would stand if he scored plenty of headers or one touch wonders from crosses but he does not for me he's far better running centrally into the box with the ball at his feet then from fast paced ball's as said his control can be piss poor at times."

Totally agree. I don't think most of his goals come from wide service at all.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

I've always rated Maloney.

He's a good solid player with a fair amount of ability and he's also good from FKs. I'm not gonna pretend I prefer McGeady or that I really rate McGeady simply because he's now an Everton player.

Guest Nikica

Yeah, that's right. He'd be a good squad player.

McGeady is talented, but as I said before you bought him, he's a bit of a youtube player.

I think Maloney is underrated but he's definitely got a level. I think he'd be a useful squad player here.

Seems a bit contradictory to me considering you argued so strong that players from relegated or near relegated teams are not good enough for us? And that we should not consider them at all?!

Anyway, lukaku...The poor lad is desperate for a chance at Chelsea. I can't see why he doesn't deserve it. He's proven himself in the premiership. Surely worth a full season? At least?

On the flip side, he maybe needs to see that he's not wanted, if that's the case then ask for an immediate transfer before the world cup...go the world cup, have a stormer and stick the middle finger up to Chelsea and more so Jose.

the question is: "why wouldn't mourinho give him a shot?"

He has scored more goals in the past two season than his other strikers... He is young and supposedly going to improve...

I think you look at the attributes of Mourinhos key strikers over the years and undertand why, Eto, Milito, Drogba, Higuin were favoured.

the question is: "why wouldn't mourinho give him a shot?"

He has scored more goals in the past two season than his other strikers... He is young and supposedly going to improve...

I think you look at the attributes of Mourinhos key strikers over the years and undertand why, Eto, Milito, Drogba, Higuin were favoured.

Mourinho had a problem with Mata as well, I don't think you'd have reservations about him!

Seems a bit contradictory to me considering you argued so strong that players from relegated or near relegated teams are not good enough for us? And that we should not consider them at all?!

Anyway, lukaku...The poor lad is desperate for a chance at Chelsea. I can't see why he doesn't deserve it. He's proven himself in the premiership. Surely worth a full season? At least?

On the flip side, he maybe needs to see that he's not wanted, if that's the case then ask for an immediate transfer before the world cup...go the world cup, have a stormer and stick the middle finger up to Chelsea and more so Jose.

Hi Newts,

Personal preference and this time I rate the lad. But as I've said he's at a level and IMO he'd be a good squad player here nothing more.

Mourinho had a problem with Mata as well, I don't think you'd have reservations about him!

Mata is undoubtably a top player... But if you don't fit into Mourinho's system that's it.... I think the same goes for Lukaku. He just doesn't see him as ideal to play in his system.

Well this is it... A very nice player to watch, does really nice things on the ball and is very talented. However it became clear that he wasn't suited to Mourinho's style of play, Defensively he doesn't offer what Mourinho demands - rightly or wrongly Mourinho knows what players need to have for his system.

You look at what they have as a team now and it is more disciplined - as much as Willian or Oscar aren't as subtle as Mata, they make up for it with their work off the ball, something that Mourinho demands from all his players. Keep possession and fight to retain possession.

I believe Chelsea will win the league next season.

Well this is it... A very nice player to watch, does really nice things on the ball and is very talented. However it became clear that he wasn't suited to Mourinho's style of play, Defensively he doesn't offer what Mourinho demands - rightly or wrongly Mourinho knows what players need to have for his system.

You look at what they have as a team now and it is more disciplined - as much as Willian or Oscar aren't as subtle as Mata, they make up for it with their work off the ball, something that Mourinho demands from all his players. Keep possession and fight to retain possession.

I believe Chelsea will win the league next season.

Lukaku does seem to fit into our system though. 15 goals, 16 in total show that.

Like I've said numerous times he does have flaws and they do make me wary of going all out for him, but I would be happy if we did as well.

Lukaku does seem to fit into our system though. 15 goals, 16 in total show that.

Like I've said numerous times he does have flaws and they do make me wary of going all out for him, but I would be happy if we did as well.

I think your concerns mirror mine, but the overall conclusion differs.

System wise I think we need to change to get the best out of Lukaku, I feel that he needs a "busy" strike partner to take the focus of centre halves off him. As a lone man with his back to the defenders he lacks the ability to succeed. When he drops deep and picks the ball up and runs, or is in the box he is great. He needs the partner to do the work for him, I actually think Kone could be a great foil for him.

Dreadful first touch there :rolleyes:.

Haha love it.

His first touch was pretty bad wasn't it, ball straight into his feet.. Hits him and bounces out. Luckily to be fair his reaction and second touch was much better and he pulled it back in.

Not the best video to showcase his first touch, but what an excellent goal.

I'm still not sure what I think about Lukaku. If we brought him I would be made up, if we didn't I wouldn't care much. I don't even make else to myself.

Haha love it.

His first touch was pretty bad wasn't it, ball straight into his feet.. Hits him and bounces out. Luckily to be fair his reaction and second touch was much better and he pulled it back in.

Not the best video to showcase his first touch, but what an excellent goal.

I'm still not sure what I think about Lukaku. If we brought him I would be made up, if we didn't I wouldn't care much. I don't even make else to myself.

Tongue in cheek?

Guest Nikica

Tongue in cheek?

Just sheer bias against the guy. Anyone who's ever played football can tell that it's a good first touch. He should stick to beating his shaft off over Welbeck.

Edited by Nikica