IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

40 goals in 85 games will do me Matt, he can only score when he's playing doesn't matter what competition it is. He'll get 20 plus again this season easily.

I know he can be lazy but ultimately he was brought in to score gials and 40 in 85 is almost 1 in 2 and MUCH better than anything we've had for a long time. I thought all the other strikers we'd had over the years played in cups and a few in Europe as well.

Love him or hate him he scores goals and he is OURS.

Rome Romelu

Rome Romelu

Rome Romelu

Romelu Lukaku

I agree completely - except for the lazy part. He has to pace himself.

Remember when he first joined? His fitness level was such that he could barely make it through 60 minutes. Last night, he was on the field scoring goals for 120 minutes. To my mind, that's real progress.

Most of that is fair (except cashing in for money - it doesn't matter!). But I still challenge this "he can't be arsed" stuff. Have you noticed that his poor performances are intrinsically linked with the squads performance? 1st half we were shit, and so was he. 2nd half, we were great and he improved immensely.

This is what I mean in terms of support, just as much as providing chances. If the 9 behind him are screwing up and messing around, he looks lost because he's not involved. Get the 9 behind on form, and he is a monster.

I'm sure there is a bit of mentality that needs work on, but I class it as frustration rather than being lazy. If he was lazy, why would he bother stepping up in the second half?

He does need to be more consistent. But, that can be said of every other player on the pitch, not to mention the manager.

I think he is naturally very lazy Matt - thats ok, its not the end of the world, I am myself. Its knowing his triggers, there will be a consistent feeling he gets when he knows he is gonna have one of those games where everything is an effort.

I remember reading that Robbie Fowlers dad told him "go into every game like it is your last one" - Fowler said it helped focus him.

Ronnie O'sullivan has benefitted from seeing a sports psychologist and I think this lad needs it.

Watching him in the first 45 last night was like watching russel crowe stagger around the coluseum after joaguin phoenix had stabbed him before their fight.

Remember when he first joined? His fitness level was such that he could barely make it through 60 minutes. Last night, he was on the field scoring goals for 120 minutes. To my mind, that's real progress.

Great point Steve I hadn't even thought of that. He will score 20 again this year and my best mate Haf will be vaulted. It will be a happy vault though.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I think he is naturally very lazy Matt - thats ok, its not the end of the world, I am myself. Its knowing his triggers, there will be a consistent feeling he gets when he knows he is gonna have one of those games where everything is an effort.

I remember reading that Robbie Fowlers dad told him "go into every game like it is your last one" - Fowler said it helped focus him.

Ronnie O'sullivan has benefitted from seeing a sports psychologist and I think this lad needs it.

Watching him in the first 45 last night was like watching russel crowe stagger around the coluseum after joaguin phoenix had stabbed him before their fight.

I do love your analogies :lol:

I'll still disagree and say his performance is 90% of the time linked to the teams performance and stop there :)

He can be lazy Steve, trust me he can. I watch him in the flesh and there are plenty of times he could try harder but that's just the way he is, he's that type of player.

I love him being our playier but have to be homest he does lack a bit of drive at times.

Pace himself? well ok in the first half he was doing rope a dope then - but it wasn't George Foreman he was fighting.

I will agree though, he looks fitter, lost some "bulk" - he wasn't fat, lets just say watery and looked heavy.

As we are reminded he's 22 - he shouldn't have issue with his stamina or fitness.

Guest rusty747

Notwithstanding his goals last night, I was disappointed with him. He didn't look very interested in the first half and only really started to pick up once Kev and Nais had put us back in the game. Then he seemed more concerned about his personal goals tally than helping the team. On more than one occasion I think he was too selfish and tried to complete his hat trick rather than pass early to players in a far better position.

Strikers do need to be selfish but there is a limit and Rom needs to back it off a bit imho.

Notwithstanding his goals last night, I was disappointed with him. He didn't look very interested in the first half and only really started to pick up once Kev and Nais had put us back in the game. Then he seemed more concerned about his personal goals tally than helping the team. On more than one occasion I think he was too selfish and tried to complete his hat trick rather than pass early to players in a far better position.

Strikers do need to be selfish but there is a limit and Rom needs to back it off a bit imho.

Disagree and very harsh he was on a trick it shows he is hungry that's how we want him to be.

Are you forgetting him selflessly giving the opportunity for his hat-trick away to try and set Barkley or Deulofeu up?

Most of that is fair (except cashing in for money - it doesn't matter!). But I still challenge this "he can't be arsed" stuff. Have you noticed that his poor performances are intrinsically linked with the squads performance? 1st half we were shit, and so was he. 2nd half, we were great and he improved immensely.

This is what I mean in terms of support, just as much as providing chances. If the 9 behind him are screwing up and messing around, he looks lost because he's not involved. Get the 9 behind on form, and he is a monster.

I'm sure there is a bit of mentality that needs work on, but I class it as frustration rather than being lazy. If he was lazy, why would he bother stepping up in the second half?

He does need to be more consistent. But, that can be said of every other player on the pitch, not to mention the manager.

Ive just said something similar in the MotM thread, think you got the rest spot on as well

Guest rusty747

Disagree and very harsh he was on a trick it shows he is hungry that's how we want him to be.

It seemed to me that he only tried to square the ball to Ross after he had lost the opportunity to score himself - by which time the opportunity was much more difficult.

Don't misunderstand me, we are a better team with Rom in it and firing on all cylinders but I think that he has to look at his decision making a little - just as Ross obviously has done.

I don't get the point in throwing bait at Haf all the time? You lot bored?

I wasn't throwing anything at anyone I just stated his record and laughed at our fans who call him shit, over rated, over priced, not good enough, never be a top striker or whatever. There's loads of them out there yet they choose to ignore the most important stat of all.. 40 goals in 85 games. I was talking to a lad in work earlier who is always criticising him and the first words out his mouth were "yes but loads of those are pens aren't they"

I gave up even trying to discuss it with him after that comment.

I wasn't throwing anything at anyone I just stated his record and laughed at our fans who call him shit, over rated, over priced, not good enough, never be a top striker or whatever. There's loads of them out there yet they choose to ignore the most important stat of all.. 40 goals in 85 games. I was talking to a lad in work earlier who is always criticising him and the first words out his mouth were "yes but loads of those are pens aren't they"

I gave up even trying to discuss it with him after that comment.

Don't blame you. Nearly as daft as "but loads of them are in Europe" argument!

I dont get what's so daft guys?

So if a striker can't hit a barn door but can out a penalty away it's fine. I supposebthats what made AJ such a top class striker.

I'm no Rom hater but seven outfield goals for a striker is shameful in a premier league season.

Of Kone played against lower teams in the league cup and scored ten....bur didn't score again in the premier league....would you say he's had a good season?

If the answer is an honest yes then that's fair enough.

Myself...I though Rom was disappointing in the league last year and needs to up his game this year.

So much about Lukaku over the month's, from both sides of the argument.

For me, he underperformed. But then so did the whole team. So it's really hard to be overly critical, but also hard to be overly defensive.

Let's just write last season off and move on!!!

So much about Lukaku over the month's, from both sides of the argument.

For me, he underperformed. But then so did the whole team. So it's really hard to be overly critical, but also hard to be overly defensive.

Let's just write last season off and move on!!!

Agree mate.

He looks the real Rom so far thos season to be fair. I can see him hitting 20 in the league alone this season.

I dont get what's so daft guys?

So if a striker can't hit a barn door but can out a penalty away it's fine. I supposebthats what made AJ such a top class striker.

I'm no Rom hater but seven outfield goals for a striker is shameful in a premier league season.

Of Kone played against lower teams in the league cup and scored ten....bur didn't score again in the premier league....would you say he's had a good season?

If the answer is an honest yes then that's fair enough.

Myself...I though Rom was disappointing in the league last year and needs to up his game this year.

Everything was disappointing, the manager, the keeper, the defence, the midfield and the attack. The fitness levels, the pre season, the tactics the LOT but lets just single out Lukaku even though he scored 20 goals in all the competitions we were disappointing in.

If Kone was fit and we never had Lukaku we don't get those 20 goals full stop.

Everything was disappointing, the manager, the keeper, the defence, the midfield and the attack. The fitness levels, the pre season, the tactics the LOT but lets just single out Lukaku even though he scored 20 goals in all the competitions we were disappointing in.

exactly. i said it when the bashing started and i'll say it again, he will leave us and be/become a world beater and will prove how fickle some are.

The thing is Pad a lot of people have been playing his season up......they haven't been playing everyone else's up. If they did...I would be saying the same thing.

I don't think he was the biggest disappointment last year either, Mirralas took that crown for me.

And to be fair I argued against him too.

I just find it hard to celebrate that our top class striker managed to score two outfield goals since January.

For me that's just not good enough.

The thing is Pad a lot of people have been playing his season up......they haven't been playing everyone else's up. If they did...I would be saying the same thing.

I don't think he was the biggest disappointment last year either, Mirralas took that crown for me.

And to be fair I argued against him too.

I just find it hard to celebrate that our top class striker managed to score two outfield goals since January.

For me that's just not good enough.

I'm not playing anything up, the whole season was not good webnough but 20 goals in a shit season is decent Shukes, if we have a flyer this season he'll piss 20 league goals if we click and he gets the service just watch.

Lots of hard work ahead of him but it's thsre.

I'm not playing anything up, the whole season was not good webnough but 20 goals in a shit season is decent Shukes, if we have a flyer this season he'll piss 20 league goals if we click and he gets the service just watch.

Lots of hard work ahead of him but it's thsre.

He's got 4 already

It's not an easy one to talk about because it tends to fire off on all angles.

Last season was a balls up. Or hopefully it proves to be so...a one off rather than the norm...for the whole team!

Forget his touch, strength or whatever. One thing you should not be able to question Lukaku about is his finishing. And unfortunately, last season his finishing was way below his standard.

It's great he got 20 goals in all competitions (48 appearances). Not a bad ratio really. If I was to be critical I'd say 5 came in 2 games against Young Boys, leaving 15 in 46. So it goes from 1 in 2ish to 1 in 3. He just needed more 'oomph', more confidence, like the rest.

But anyway, who cares? That was last season. So far this season, it's 4 in 4. He's started off showing some real good signs. As a fan, I'd challenge him to be more of a driving force, more nasty with his team mates, and to keep his chin up, as there is no doubt to me that against Barnsley his head went down when we were 2 down.