IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Yes Rom doesn't to make things happen. Himself as well as receive better service.

Top players need to change game mechanics.

What we do know is that if he receives the ball at his feet or on front of him...he can put it away. As mentioned above...gerry running to the line and dragging back is what we should be doing.

Maybe if we can get Rom knocking in a few goals we can then work on the rest of his game.

He cost a lot of money and is ours now. Let's turn him into what we know he can be.

Just looking back at this video, 11 out of the 13 goals he scored on his loan year (I'm sure there are a few missing) are 1st time touches. He receives it on the floor from the edge of the box and he taps it in. None of this control and turn bollocks, just receive and place. I don't think he's completely to blame for his lack of goals, I just don't think the ball has been getting to him in the box enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5MmtvNaXjU

With a lot of reflection since last season, I think Lukaku had, like the majority of the team, a very much under par season. Some of the stuff aimed at him is ruthless to say the least. Yes, he has his stand out pain in the arse moments...his touch can be terrible, offsides, lack of showing real strength etc. But then I guess other blatant pain in the arse moments can be thrown at some of our darlings...Barkley gives the ball away, wastes balls, makes poor decisions. Stones tries to play it out when he should be more brash etc. Every player has these kind of features.

But the real purpose of this post is this theory that many of you guys believe to be true...he gets little or no service. This isn't an attack on the lad, but this 'no service' stuff simply isn't true. As far as the controversial stats are concerned!

Last season Lukaku had 105 shots on goal (vast majority inside the area) in 36 games (this puts him 6th last season of all Premier League players for shots on goal). He scored 10 league goals (this put him way down in 23rd). His conversion rate was 10.5 shots per goal.

Compare that to 2 other key strikers: Aguero (just because he was the leagues leading scorer) and Austin (just because we are being linked to him).

Austin had 130 shots in 35 games, scored 18, conversion rate of 7.2.

Aguero had 148 shots in 33 games, scored 26 goals, conversion rate of 5.7.

Lukaku would have needed 189 shots to score as many as Austin, and 273 shots to match Aguero based on last season's conversion rate.

Possibly just an off season?

Or maybe something that tells us that Lukaku needs to start evolving his game more and really push his development as his declining efficiency in front of goal is a bit of a worry...possibly because defenders have him sussed?

As a relatively unknown in his first Premiership blast in 2012/13 for WBA he played 35 games, had 97 shots and scored 17 goals...conversion rate of 5.7 shots per goal...same as Aguero last season.

In his first season for Everton in 2013/14, he played 32 games, had 101 shots and scored 15 goals...conversion rate of 6.7 shots per goal...slight dip, similar to Austin last season.

I'm sure the above will be brushed off and the 'he gets no service' bandwagon will roll on. But if we are going to be concerned about any part of his game, shouldn't it be his declining efficiency in front of goal?

I've never seen a player ripped apart by so many stats, next thing i'll be seeing is how many times he goes for a shit.

I think what happens Bill is the likes of myself will say "totally over rated, wastes passes, off side, lazy etc"

Then you hear "we don't create for him etc"

The stats cut through these excuses especially in the ones newty has provided.

My biggest question is why are so many keen to make for excuses him?

He comes with a world wide reputation because He was a massive kid at 16 playing for anderlecht and Chelsea signed him as the next drogba. Drogbas reputation enhanced roms. The reality is he's nothing like drogba and never will be. He doesn't have what drogba had which can't be trained "a fiery desire to win at all costs, a determination to win every header or challenge - to dominate his markers"

Personally I seen a better player in James Vaughan as a kid injuries destroyed him.

Thought stats didn't count for anything though?

Good post, Newty.

As for the offsides.... It is a pain in the arse but I think its more because the passer is too slow in recognizing the run than Rom being absent-minded all the time. It's a bit like Barkley thinking too far ahead and then getting caught out, naivety that will reduce with experience.

Thought stats didn't count for anything though?

Good post, Newty.

As for the offsides.... It is a pain in the arse but I think its more because the passer is too slow in recognizing the run than Rom being absent-minded all the time. It's a bit like Barkley thinking too far ahead and then getting caught out, naivety that will reduce with experience.

Matt I have looked at this - its absolute nonsense mate and it can't be defended. Its picked up all the time by commentators, as much as I hate Michael Owen he had him nailed for this over a year ago.

He doesn't show any awareness of where he is in relation to the last man. I have yet to see him check back and bend his run to get a flyer on the centre half - Rush was an expert at this. Rom tends to set himself in straight line point ahead and run... very very schoolboy.

He drifts forward, defenders push up and the he is 5-10 yards off, he loses focus and its indicative of a player who finds it difficult to get up for games and remain "ON IT".

If he was slow I would accept it, but he's quick enough not to need to get so needy for the yards. Until he can time his runs better he really does need to give himself 5 yards.

To be honest, any issues are never going to be down to one solid factor. The ony reason I mentioned about him not getting the service is because I haven't seen him receiving the ball in the box with space around him to get a good crack at goal as often. Whilst this IS a service issue, it's not putting the blame elsewhere. It may be that he's not getting into the same positions as his first time round, not finding those pockets of space. It could be that everyone quickly wised up to the fact that if he has space in the box and the ball at his feet he'll score, so he's now being closely marked and he has to result to shooting without clear cut chances. Who knows anyway, just hope something changes and something clicks!

To be honest, any issues are never going to be down to one solid factor. The ony reason I mentioned about him not getting the service is because I haven't seen him receiving the ball in the box with space around him to get a good crack at goal as often. Whilst this IS a service issue, it's not putting the blame elsewhere. It may be that he's not getting into the same positions as his first time round, not finding those pockets of space. It could be that everyone quickly wised up to the fact that if he has space in the box and the ball at his feet he'll score, so he's now being closely marked and he has to result to shooting without clear cut chances. Who knows anyway, just hope something changes and something clicks!

Finding space in the box for a striker is about "creating space" - Terry talked about Falcao being a master at it - for me Suarez is a genius at it, owen regrettably was very good at it as was lineker.

Its about being lively - defenders will always try and get touch tight to a striker, its for the striker to evade that.

I do think there is a massive opportunity for Rom with Gerry playing - Gerry likes to power a cross along the 6 yard box, too many times I seen our players not take a chance on that, they waited for the cut back.

Matt I have looked at this - its absolute nonsense mate and it can't be defended. Its picked up all the time by commentators, as much as I hate Michael Owen he had him nailed for this over a year ago.

He doesn't show any awareness of where he is in relation to the last man. I have yet to see him check back and bend his run to get a flyer on the centre half - Rush was an expert at this. Rom tends to set himself in straight line point ahead and run... very very schoolboy.

He drifts forward, defenders push up and the he is 5-10 yards off, he loses focus and its indicative of a player who finds it difficult to get up for games and remain "ON IT".

If he was slow I would accept it, but he's quick enough not to need to get so needy for the yards. Until he can time his runs better he really does need to give himself 5 yards.

Quelle surprise!

Really not got the energy today....

I've never seen a player ripped apart by so many stats, next thing i'll be seeing is how many times he goes for a shit.

My post with those stats wasn't aimed at ripping him apart, not at all. It started off as a way to clearly and factually disprove this false belief that the reason Lukaku only got 10 league goals last season was because 'he gets NO service'.

As I was putting it together, I was surprised to see how his shot conversion rate had been in a downward spiral for 3 years running...which made me think 'does he need to evolve his game some?'.

After all, you burst onto the Premiership scene as a newbie and show pace and power for a 19 year old and bag 17 goals. The next season opposition managers and defenders try to nullify that threat and then someone clicks on 'if we stay tight up his arse.....'. Then Lukaku has to say to himself 'I need to learn to deal with this extra attention. Maybe my runs need to be more precise. Maybe I need to learn to out muscle my marker in the box while maintaining enough balance to get power in my shots' (this may be key as his shots on target are up there with there best, or at least seem normal, he just can't seem to get them past the keeper!). It's just thoughts, nothing too serious or negative.

Hurray!

No ripping Rom for a few days!

Two great finishes today, some nice link up play.The team played in a style that brings the best out of him.

The slow build up is boring, hardly ever works and tends to stop players pushing up quickly to give opponents things to watch other than Lukaku.

Rom will still have off days, so will the rest.