IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

It's not an easy one to talk about because it tends to fire off on all angles.

Last season was a balls up. Or hopefully it proves to be so...a one off rather than the norm...for the whole team!

Forget his touch, strength or whatever. One thing you should not be able to question Lukaku about is his finishing. And unfortunately, last season his finishing was way below his standard.

It's great he got 20 goals in all competitions (48 appearances). Not a bad ratio really. If I was to be critical I'd say 5 came in 2 games against Young Boys, leaving 15 in 46. So it goes from 1 in 2ish to 1 in 3. He just needed more 'oomph', more confidence, like the rest.

But anyway, who cares? That was last season. So far this season, it's 4 in 4. He's started off showing some real good signs. As a fan, I'd challenge him to be more of a driving force, more nasty with his team mates, and to keep his chin up, as there is no doubt to me that against Barnsley his head went down when we were 2 down.

You can say he got 5 in 2 etc but I wonder how many regular high scoring strikers have little streaks of a hat trick , 1 the next and 2 the next then blank for z bit so if you take away 3 games it's 6 goals and their stats alter dramatically. I bet you could do that for most strikers.

I'm not playing anything up, the whole season was not good webnough but 20 goals in a shit season is decent Shukes, if we have a flyer this season he'll piss 20 league goals if we click and he gets the service just watch.

Lots of hard work ahead of him but it's thsre.

Actually excited for him this season. I think the beast will awaken.

You can say he got 5 in 2 etc but I wonder how many regular high scoring strikers have little streaks of a hat trick , 1 the next and 2 the next then blank for z bit so if you take away 3 games it's 6 goals and their stats alter dramatically. I bet you could do that for most strikers.

Oh yeh definately.

I think it's an interesting angle you put on it before 'he got that in a shit season, what will he fo in a good one?'.

We all just hope this one us better than last for many reasons.

The thing is Pad a lot of people have been playing his season up......they haven't been playing everyone else's up. If they did...I would be saying the same thing.

I don't think he was the biggest disappointment last year either, Mirralas took that crown for me.

And to be fair I argued against him too.

I just find it hard to celebrate that our top class striker managed to score two outfield goals since January.

For me that's just not good enough.

I don't think anybody has been playing his season up, its been more of a case of defending him from undue criticism

I think there has been a lot of premature "look at him against Southampton, he's needed a rest, he needed service and he's great etc etc"

It's a load of shite, the only thing he needs is to get his head out his arse and approach "every" game with the intensity he showed against Southampton.

I've said this time and time again. He throws in an impressive performance and downs tools for a few games as if to say "yep, showed them". It's happened so many times now and it's not good.

We seen this with fellaini, one week outstanding then a few games of nothing. We can't carry that type of player.

The only thing that will get the best out of Rom is another striker that renders him less essential. At the moment he has no fear for his place and it shows. It took origi to get picked in the world cup to get a performance from him.

If we see the Southampton Rom today we will win, if we see the Barnsley Rom then we will struggle. So yes a player ike him is frustrating.

Edited by Hafnia

I think there has been a lot of premature "look at him against Southampton, he's needed a rest, he needed service and he's great etc etc"

It's a load of shite, the only thing he needs is to get his head out his arse and approach "every" game with the intensity he showed against Southampton.

I've said this time and time again. He throws in an impressive performance and downs tools for a few games as if to say "yep, showed them". It's happened so many times now and it's not good.

We seen this with fellaini, one week outstanding then a few games of nothing. We can't carry that type of player.

The only thing that will get the best out of Rom is another striker that renders him less essential. At the moment he has no fear for his place and it shows. It took origi to get picked in the world cup to get a performance from him.

If we see the Southampton Rom today we will win, if we see the Barnsley Rom then we will struggle. So yes a player ike him is frustrating.

Yeah we will be right in the shit if Rom scores a brace today

Yeah we will be right in the shit if Rom scores a brace today

Oh Duncan, come off it. His performance was poor, stop being a 10 year old about things. You have watched Everton longer than me and surely you seen a stagnant disinterested player like most of us.

His goals came as the result of tremendous individual contributions from Gerry and Ross.

If you are content to allow a tap in and another on a plate being a sign of a good performance then maybe im missing something. His performance was poor, no two ways about it.

:lol: you know what he means, first half Rom!

But, that'll be true of the whole squad, right Haf? ;)

Mcgeady aside not really... We just didn't have the right balance and only Ross and gerry sparked the football.

We relied on Rom to show in the first half as we needed him to work their defenders without getting the balls he wanted. He basically wasn't arsed! The ball kept going back at our defence. Yes there were others who werent playing well but he was doing an Alex nyarko impression.

I sewer, you watch different games to me. The gap between him and the supporting midfield was massive. Barkley changed that second half by driving forward and passing forward, Geri put the ball in the box for him.

Or was it all coincidence? I think not.

I sewer, you watch different games to me. The gap between him and the supporting midfield was massive. Barkley changed that second half by driving forward and passing forward, Geri put the ball in the box for him.

Or was it all coincidence? I think not.

As I said Matt, it wasn't his preferred method of receiving the ball but I honestly was disgusted a by the number of times he just didn't even bother trying to compete... He allowed the centre half to stop in front of him to stop the ball getting to him, it was shocking.

You can't do that! Would it be ok for all our players to do that? No. His two goals and man of the match off the tv masked over one of the most disinterested displays I've seen from a striker in that 45 minutes.

Oh Duncan, come off it. His performance was poor, stop being a 10 year old about things. You have watched Everton longer than me and surely you seen a stagnant disinterested player like most of us.

His goals came as the result of tremendous individual contributions from Gerry and Ross.

If you are content to allow a tap in and another on a plate being a sign of a good performance then maybe im missing something. His performance was poor, no two ways about it.

Ha ha Im a 10 year old because I disagree with you?

He was as poor as everybody else in the first half, but as soon as we got a bit of creativity in the final third he came into the game and was as good in the second half as he was poor in the first. But as usual you ignore the positives and highlight the negatives

Incidentally the bit in bold is commonly known in the game as providing service for a forward

Service, temperature, world cup, broken toe, direct or whatever.... What the fuck was that today?

Btw this is not gloating, I'm genuinely getting fucked off with his complete lack of desire to do basic things on a pitch.

Honestly on his day he can seriously make me look like an idiot for questioning hi. Sadly those days are few and far between.

Kone did everything that Rom should be looking to do. Then when Naismith came on he added that nasty streak he needs.

Honestly, I mean it when I say he needs something done with his mind set. I appreciate the guys who back him but surely questions need to be asked.

Edited by Hafnia

Service, temperature, world cup, broken toe, direct or whatever.... What the fuck was that today?

Btw this is not gloating, I'm genuinely getting fucked off with his complete lack of desire to do basic things on a pitch.

Honestly on his day he can seriously make me look like an idiot for questioning hi. Sadly those days are few and far between.

Kone did everything that Rom should be looking to do. Then when Naismith came on he added that nasty streak he needs.

Honestly, I mean it when I say he needs something done with his mind set. I appreciate the guys who back him but surely questions need to be asked.

He was poor, we were poor, nothing from him, nothing from us......thank god for Howard.

His all round game isn't good enough but the most frustrating thing is him giving the ball away. As soon as it goes into his feet he loses it. It's not good enough but I suppose he gets away with it because he gets goals. Our best chance came when Kone went as the spearhead. Naismith puts himself about but we looked blunt in attack with him there two. McCarthy is like a spare man at the moment complete waste of a player. Barry is doing much much more. Barkley should be in the middle of the park now. Get a proper 10 in and play with two proper wingers. I know it sound very harsh but Cleverleys injury may be a blessing in disguise as the side he's been fielding looks to be his starting 11. For me it isn't working. With a cleverley out now he's going to have to play one if the wingers

I'll worry and be severely pissed off if we play well and he still puts in a performance like that.

Not that I'm happy with how he played yesterday but come on, the only outfield player who had an above average game was Kone. Who, incidentally, hadn't played 120 minutes on the Wednesday. Coincidence? I think not.

I'll worry and be severely pissed off if we play well and he still puts in a performance like that.

Not that I'm happy with how he played yesterday but come on, the only outfield player who had an above average game was Kone. Who, incidentally, hadn't played 120 minutes on the Wednesday. Coincidence? I think not.

I actually think Rom only "played" 70 minutes on Wednesday,

I think you can plot a graph and predict his "down tools" games.

I said a long time ago he seems to have a great game where he really does have a go. It's after that he seems to think "right, that will do for now"... He gets subbed or dropped then he decides to prove himself.

Edited by Hafnia