IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Alan Shearer scored 206 goals in 405 appearances for Newcastle, again a Wiki fact.

He scored 130 in 171 at Blackburn though, but only 43 in 158 at Southampton.

To play devils advocate, maybe he didn't have the same support in the poor Southampton side that he had in that great Blackburn side.

how old was he at Southampton, Steve?

In each of the last 5 seasons only 3 players have scored 20 or more goals mostly for the top 4 or Spurs (cba checking what seasons they finished where). If you minus penalties from last season the top goalscorer would have 20, Rom in a team much lower in the league with poorer service would be 17.

Lukaku has got into double figures 4 seasons on the bounce I'd be surprised if there is many who have; cba checking. Over the past 4 seasons I can only think of Aguero who has more goals, likewise cba checking. It's ridiculous to question his goals. We're all in agreement his touch is poor. Know that's out the way go vote In B-)

Just agree to disagree all.

My side is against. I remember England beating Accrington 10-0 and thinking to myself the same....those goals will go down as stats.

If Lukaku plays against hills lane United and scores 20 goals but doesn't hit a single league goal all season....

I won't be singing we have a 20 goal a season striker.

That's just me.

Edited by Shukes

Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeatRinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat

that's my point you thought he consistently got 30 goals a season, well if you use the ALL goals you're right. 4 seasons at or above, and 3 very close (28 28 27). your point was that you only count league goals, but apparently you were inadvertantly counting all goals which backs up your original argument.

basically you proved the thing you weren't trying to prove, that goals in all comps are meaningful.

Bloody pedant, don't you start letting the facts muddy the waters as well, that's my job :shaking fist:.

I'd be really interested if you could show me me me where I've told anyone that they were wrong.

Not something I do.

You only have to look back in this thread to see how you upset Newty.

Most members on here don't spend half their time on the search facility, and the other half googling for facts to prove somebody was wrong.

It seems to be so prevalent lately that you don't realise your doing it, or maybe you do and your relishing the feeling of the self assumed superior position you've made for yourself.

Edited by Bill

Just agree to disagree all.

My side is against. I remember England beating Accrington 10-0 and thinking to myself the same....those goals will go down as stats.

If Lukaku plays against hills lane United and scores 20 goals but doesn't hit a single league goal all season....

I won't be singing we have a 20 goal a season striker.

That's just me.

I'd agree with you, but that's not been / going to be the case. The reality is quite clear :)

He left Southampton at 22. By which point he had only scored 23 league goals in 118 appearances.

:o How can a complete striker only score that few by the time he's 22?! Does that mean he only got goals on a regular basis when he got into a team who provided support?

Edited by Matt

:o How can a complete striker only score that few by the time he's 22?! Does that mean he only got goals on a regular basis when he got into a team who provided support?

I think maybe the increase player quality at Blackburn, a title winning side funded by a crazy local millionaire, may have had a positive influence on his performances and statistics. Whereas at Southampton the side was nowhere near the same quality. Also worth noting as he didnt score at the same level for Newcastle as he did at Blackburn, they did have a better side than Southampton but not as good as Blackburn.

I would conclude that Blackburn were the best team he played for, he scored the most goals. Newcastle were the second best team he played for, he scored the second most goals. Southampton were the weakest team he played for, he scored the least goals, though he was only young.

You only have to look back in this thread to see how you upset Newty.

Most members on here don't spend half their time on the search facility, and the other half googling for facts to prove somebody was wrong.

It seems to be so prevalent lately that you don't realise your doing it, or maybe you do and your relishing the feeling of the self assumed superior position you've made for yourself.

I "upset" Newty by pointing out that his facts were wrong (wasn't the only one). Didn't need the search function for that, just Wikipedia.

I think maybe the increase player quality at Blackburn, a title winning side funded by a crazy local millionaire, may have had a positive influence on his performances and statistics. Whereas at Southampton the side was nowhere near the same quality. Also worth noting as he didnt score at the same level for Newcastle as he did at Blackburn, they did have a better side than Southampton but not as good as Blackburn.

I would conclude that Blackburn were the best team he played for, he scored the most goals. Newcastle were the second best team he played for, he scored the second most goals. Southampton were the weakest team he played for, he scored the least goals, though he was only young.

Hmmm, interesting theory...

He left Southampton at 22. By which point he had only scored 23 league goals in 118 appearances.

Also, take out the goals that weren't scored against the top 6 teams in the league. By top 6, I mean those that finished top 6 in the league the season he scored them, not based on previous years or team/squad ability.

Shearer? well lets just say he wasn't 6ft 3 and 13st at 16 - playing for a superior side in a lesser league.

My mate actually played against him when he was 14/15 at a tournament in the isle of man and said he was tiny - but brilliant. Defenders basically booted him all over the show. Anyone seen how small he was as young lad? Guess not.

I recall Shearer talking about Rooney as a 17 year old and referred to how Rooney was already a man and that he wasn't even like that at 21. Shearer was protected at Southampton in an age where you could get away with being far more physical. Young lads simply did not play up front much in an era that had centre halves like Bruce, Watson, Steve Foster, the crazy gang would break you in half if you had a bit of pace....

Anyone fancy telling me 3 strikers who played regular football in the old division one around 1986-1989? - well look at how many subs you were allowed, the style of play you could get away with, young players got minimal time.

By the time he went to Blackburn he had filled out and he was the "complete" centre forward. His first cruciate injury in 93 took away his pace, his second at Newcastle made him a penalty box operator.

If shearer never had his cruciate injuries you would be looking at another 100+ goals IMO - he was that good.

Shearer? well lets just say he wasn't 6ft 3 and 13st at 16 - playing for a superior side in a lesser league.

My mate actually played against him when he was 14/15 at a tournament in the isle of man and said he was tiny - but brilliant. Defenders basically booted him all over the show. Anyone seen how small he was as young lad? Guess not.

I recall Shearer talking about Rooney as a 17 year old and referred to how Rooney was already a man and that he wasn't even like that at 21. Shearer was protected at Southampton in an age where you could get away with being far more physical. Young lads simply did not play up front much in an era that had centre halves like Bruce, Watson, Steve Foster, the crazy gang would break you in half if you had a bit of pace....

Anyone fancy telling me 3 strikers who played regular football in the old division one around 1986-1989? - well look at how many subs you were allowed, the style of play you could get away with, young players got minimal time.

By the time he went to Blackburn he had filled out and he was the "complete" centre forward. His first cruciate injury in 93 took away his pace, his second at Newcastle made him a penalty box operator.

If shearer never had his cruciate injuries you would be looking at another 100+ goals IMO - he was that good.

What the hell has that got to do with things?! We've only been talking Everton goals. You're really getting desperate now...

What the hell has that got to do with things?! We've only been talking Everton goals. You're really getting desperate now...

Desperate? Ha ha having a laugh arent you. Im actually sitting quite content in the knowledge that pretty much all i have said about him has been on the money.

Btw werent you all querying why shearer had poor stats for southampton? Just giving context matt.... chill.

I feel like pasting the lyrics to gloria gaynors "i will survive" for you.

At first I was afraid

I was petrified

Kept thinking I could never live

Without you up front in our side

But then I spent so many nights

Thinking how you did me wrong

And I grew strong

And I learned how to get along

And so you're back

From the euro championships

I just walked in to find you here

With that sweat dripping down your face

I should have listened to hafnia

I should have supported arouna kone

If I had known for just one second

You'd be back to bother me....

Desperate? Ha ha having a laugh arent you. Im actually sitting quite content in the knowledge that pretty much all i have said about him has been on the money.

Btw werent you all querying why shearer had poor stats for southampton? Just giving context matt.... chill.

I feel like pasting the lyrics to gloria gaynors "i will survive" for you.

I did think about saying the same to you.

We've tried debating his goal tally in total. You didn't like that, so we concentrated on the Premier League tally (finally getting past "goals against the top 6" nonsense). Then you brought in a "comparitive striker" so we compared him (again) against Shearer in the same league (top tier of English football before people get pedantic, Mike :P) and in doing so compared his seasons by age, because there's an actual close parallel there. Steve made a fantastic summary of his progress vs goals scored - the only times he scored 30+ league goals, which is your apparently benchmark, was when he was leading the line of a team thrown together by money who went on to win the league.

Now, you going to Roms Dutch days, height and weight?! Fuck me, yeah. Thats desperation!

No, we were not querying why Shearer had poor stats at Southampton. We acknowledged them and saw the very real comparison with our young striker. Apparently the irony and sarcasm wasn't clear enough.

Oh, and a song for your in return:

For the record, I did support Kone, until he proved how shit he actually was. I never claimed he was a better footballlhahahahahahahahaaaaa, can't even say it.

I did think about saying the same to you.

We've tried debating his goal tally in total. You didn't like that, so we concentrated on the Premier League tally (finally getting past "goals against the top 6" nonsense). Then you brought in a "comparitive striker" so we compared him (again) against Shearer in the same league (top tier of English football before people get pedantic, Mike :P) and in doing so compared his seasons by age, because there's an actual close parallel there. Steve made a fantastic summary of his progress vs goals scored - the only times he scored 30+ league goals, which is your apparently benchmark, was when he was leading the line of a team thrown together by money who went on to win the league.

Now, you going to Roms Dutch days, height and weight?! Fuck me, yeah. Thats desperation!

No, we were not querying why Shearer had poor stats at Southampton. We acknowledged them and saw the very real comparison with our young striker. Apparently the irony and sarcasm wasn't clear enough.

Oh, and a song for your in return:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE

For the record, I did support Kone, until he proved how shit he actually was. I never claimed he was a better footballlhahahahahahahahaaaaa, can't even say it.

Question.... how old were you when shearer joined blackburn?

Forgive me for remembering the fact that at 21/22 he was far far far better than Rom.... its ridiculous to even think otherwise. He had a strike partner who he "shared" goals with... no it wasnt always sutton it was Mike Newell. The blackburn team was not that good! It really wasnt. It was shearer that more or less carried them.

Stuart Ripley, jason wilcox, tim sherwood, mark atkins.... they werent that good. Shearer made them tick.

Rom is 24 next birthday and is nowhere near the player shearer was... i mean no where near.

Edited by Hafnia

Question.... how old were you when shearer joined blackburn?

Forgive me for remembering the fact that at 21/22 he was far far far better than Rom.... its ridiculous to even think otherwise. He had a strike partner who he "shared" goals with... no it wasnt always sutton it was Mike Newell. The blackburn team was not that good! It really wasnt. It was shearer that more or less carried them.

Stuart Ripley, jason wilcox, tim sherwood, mark atkins.... they werent that good. Shearer made them tick.

Rom is 24 next birthday and is nowhere near the player shearer was... i mean no where near.

Now it's down to my age?! Fucking hell :rofl: For the record, I was 4 foot 8 and 6.5 stone too ;)

I was in secondary school and had a mate who was a Blackburn fan in my maths class. The lad wore his Blackburn bag on his first day in year 7 with pride (poor lad was bullied something horrid because he wasn't supporting a local team) and did until he left in year 10 to move back home. I remember Shearer from a youths eyes as being mesmorizing, we always talked about him, but I'm not going let my sentiment and memories of 2 decades + ago dictate my opinion today. Influence, yes but I'll go with stats because I prefer logic and science to reason with in a debate.

He had a striker partner and a creative midfielder at Blackburn, that league winning side 20 years ago? :o Well, Rom has had no striker partner in 3 years, bar a handful of games at the beginning of the last season where Kone led us on another "false down" (I know how much you love that phrase, but I've beaten you to it this time :P) and our "creative talents" have been so subdued under Martinezs stolen "philosophy" that we played like the mid-table club we deservedly, based on our collective performances, finished as.

Just to be clear, we agree on how good Shearer was, and we also agree that Rom is nowhere near yet. Might never be. But he is no where near as bad as you make him out to be, doesn't get anywhere near as much forgiveness as some others who have been arguably worse, has not had anything like a decent team playing behind bar the first season and will go on to win trophies.

Apparently Lukaku's home was burgled whilst he has been away on international duty. Hopefully nobody else was home as it must be absolutely terrifying.

It worries me that now, after this event, it may be the straw that broke the camel's back and he puts an official transfer request in due to feeling unsafe here.

It was back in September if I remember correctly, I posted it the other day amongst all this vitriol. It's a horrible feeling having your house broken into, you don't feel the same there ever again and affects your head in ways you wouldn't expect. I unfortunately speak from experience :(

Burgulars deserve the book thrown at them... the ones who raid homes and hold people hostage etc?? 20 years. Absolutely vile creatures.

Breaking into persons home needs to be the absolute last target of a thief. I understand shop lifters to a degree and maybe even desperate people who commit fraud against corps but invading a persons home??? Scum.

i was just going to post this (not the baines part), spurs revolve around Kane, england does not. therein lies the issue. he's not a standard issue striker, he's like a mueller where you have to embrace the ugly and roll with it. roy doesn't understand that and never will. Potch does.

Applies to Vardy as well.