IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Guest Nikica

His touch is extremely erratic. Sometimes it looks fine (not top class or anything, but of a good level) and other times he looks like a donkey. As I said weeks ago though, I'm putting it down to him being very raw. If he can polish his game he can become a really top striker. But it's a big job.

Let's not forget the guy is still only twenty. He has a lot of developing to do, mentally and technically if not physically.

I think before any offer is even considered by Chelsea, Jose will have him back for the summer to have a look at him.

He's sure better an option that what Chelsea have right now.

Thing is, if Jose decides he wants to keep him, then fair play.

If he decides he's not good enough, do we really want to buy him?

I thank him for his services this season, but I think there are better options out there. I'm not convinced these young loanees give their full heart into it. One eye is maybe always on their 'bigger, home club'.

Even with his faults I still think hes worth it. 14 goals is not to be sniffed at, and I still think Martinez is the reason he doesnt have more.

If he does leave, its with my best wishes

Why do you think RM has held him back? Or do you just think he's better suited to another formation or style of play?

Why do you think RM has held him back? Or do you just think he's better suited to another formation or style of play?

To start with we supplied the ball for him to run on with. For the last 3 months (or 4 weeks after he came back from injury) we have asked him to head the ball or lay it off. He is a finisher, but we asked asked more of him. Which, in principle, I agree with - see my irritation with Yak. But, considering his ability for finding the net, we should be playing to his strengths, which Martinez hasnt done. Having a big man up front (and therefore, considered a striker) to play provider, just doesnt work unless you have a matured, proven, player and for that youre looking of a 25-27 year old / "child" genius.

Guest blueboy122

To start with we supplied the ball for him to run on with. For the last 3 months (or 4 weeks after he came back from injury) we have asked him to head the ball or lay it off. He is a finisher, but we asked asked more of him. Which, in principle, I agree with - see my irritation with Yak. But, considering his ability for finding the net, we should be playing to his strengths, which Martinez hasnt done. Having a big man up front (and therefore, considered a striker) to play provider, just doesnt work unless you have a matured, proven, player and for that youre looking of a 25-27 year old / "child" genius.

Don't need to spend big money on strikers if we are going to play the ball for them to run onto all the time might as well spend a million and bring back Jermaine Beckford. The hardest part of a forward is everything else back to goal stuff. Lukaku for me isn't good enough and is so far off complete we just don't have 20M to risk on him maybe coming a great player.

Yeah I can get with you on that. I've always thought a quick pacy striker ala aguero or remy would be better in our system, so I see your point.

Don't need to spend big money on strikers if we are going to play the ball for them to run onto all the time might as well spend a million and bring back Jermaine Beckford. The hardest part of a forward is everything else back to goal stuff. Lukaku for me isn't good enough and is so far off complete we just don't have 20M to risk on him maybe coming a great player.

Selling Beckford, despite him being a dick (apparently), was a big mistake in my eyes. Natural scorer...

Back to goal mentality is a Moyes thing. If you have a player to pass the ball between a defence, which we do and have had, you have goals in the bag, so I completely disagree...

Edited by Matt

Good investment, Lukaku. The fees EFC get for getting into the Europa League have more than earned back his loan costs. Very profitable move.

edit: I state it like that, cause I think EFC wouldn't have gotten there without all of rom's goals

Edited by Mirallas

Had a natter with one of my brothers about him, he's a Liverpool fan. Was a very good player who should have made it, proper souness style midfielder who had bad luck with injuries.

Always interesting to hear his opinions regarding players as he uses his own understanding of the game and usually has players spot on. Example was he said Scholes was England's best player years ago, whilst everyone was going on about Gerrard and lampard. Said no one understood what scholes actually bought to a team, years later it's like it was a big secret.

Regarding Lukaku he said his size is wasted, can't jump well enough, poor touch, basically if he hasn't got it now he isn't going to have it.

He used Keegan as an example, Said lukaku like Keegan isnt a natural footballer, the difference is Keegan worked his arse off to be the best he could. Lukaku doesn't have that and I agree. Funny enough he really likes naismith, said he's not the most talented but very clever and the sort of player team mates love.

Guest Nikica

Had a natter with one of my brothers about him, he's a Liverpool fan. Was a very good player who should have made it, proper souness style midfielder who had bad luck with injuries.

Always interesting to hear his opinions regarding players as he uses his own understanding of the game and usually has players spot on. Example was he said Scholes was England's best player years ago, whilst everyone was going on about Gerrard and lampard. Said no one understood what scholes actually bought to a team, years later it's like it was a big secret.

Regarding Lukaku he said his size is wasted, can't jump well enough, poor touch, basically if he hasn't got it now he isn't going to have it.

He used Keegan as an example, Said lukaku like Keegan isnt a natural footballer, the difference is Keegan worked his arse off to be the best he could. Lukaku doesn't have that and I agree. Funny enough he really likes naismith, said he's not the most talented but very clever and the sort of player team mates love.

To be fair, anyone with half a brain knew that Scholes was better than those two muppets, as far back as then. It's just the English media (and their obsession with mfs who 'score goals') and the people they infect with their poison who stated otherwise.

In his prime, Scholes was ironically far more highly rated outside of England than he ever was in England.

Your brother does sound like he knows his stuff though. He is wrong about Lukaku though - well, not specifically Lukaku, but the comment that 'if he doesn't have it now he will never have it'. Anyone who's played football to the level your brother has should know that technique and skill can be improved past twenty years old. Natural ability is a major advantage but things like first touch and passing can be worked on and improved.

Guest blueboy122

To be fair, anyone with half a brain knew that Scholes was better than those two muppets, as far back as then. It's just the English media (and their obsession with mfs who 'score goals') and the people they infect with their poison who stated otherwise.

In his prime, Scholes was ironically far more highly rated outside of England than he ever was in England.

Your brother does sound like he knows his stuff though. He is wrong about Lukaku though - well, not specifically Lukaku, but the comment that 'if he doesn't have it now he will never have it'. Anyone who's played football to the level your brother has should know that technique and skill can be improved past twenty years old. Natural ability is a major advantage but things like first touch and passing can be worked on and improved.

I disagree I think the natural ability is there or it isn't and he just hasn't got it for me. I don't think technique and first touch can be taught to the extent Lukaku needs anyway. Lukaku has played at a good level for 4 years so he should have improved it by now.

Who on earth are you talking about? This is Romelu Lukaku topic, he's a striker, not a midfielder. And a diehard Chelsea FC fan, not Liverpool.

Guest Nikica

I disagree I think the natural ability is there or it isn't and he just hasn't got it for me. I don't think technique and first touch can be taught to the extent Lukaku needs anyway. Lukaku has played at a good level for 4 years so he should have improved it by now.

Fair enough mate. I know what you mean, and I'm not saying that it can be improved massively (as I said in my previous post, natural ability is a major advantage). However, it can be worked on past twenty. Obviously it's easiest to develop it pre 10 years old by playing smaller sided games etc. I have played at different levels myself, these days I only play 5s and 7s. However, the guys who were very poor when they first started playing have shown real improvement over the years. They are still the weakest players but their touch has really come on. If they can do that playing once or twice a week against more technically skilled players, then Lukaku can do the same at a younger age and by playing football (training) far more often than they do. I saw this sort of improvement when I played for school teams etc too.

I can see the point you're making, and I won't overstress how much someone can improve. But I do think players can show a reasonable improvement. Whether Lukaku will be one of those players remains to be seen, but in fairness you're right that he's been playing at a high level for four years now so he should be quite consistent with his touch at this stage - and he isn't.

"Who on earth are you talking about? This is Romelu Lukaku topic, he's a striker, not a midfielder. And a diehard Chelsea FC fan, not Liverpool."

Hafnia meant his own brother is a Liverpool fan, not Lukaku.

Although I am sitting here sniggering at hafnia and his brother hypothetically discussing who they think Lukaku supports and believing he's a Souness style midfielder :rofl:

Edited by Nikica

Hafnia meant his own brother is a Liverpool fan, not Lukaku.

Although I am sitting here sniggering at hafnia and his brother hypothetically discussing who they think Lukaku supports and believing he's a Souness style midfielder :rofl:

Oh, now I see it :) I gramatically misinterpreted that sentence :P

Guest Nikica

Oh, now I see it :) I gramatically misinterpreted that sentence :P

Fair enough mate, English is not your first language and hafnia wasn't very clear, so it's understandable. The part about 'should have made it' might have been the major clue though, as Lukaku has already made it as a professional.

Guest Nikica

I don't think that Lukaku has the willingness or determination to take his game to the next level.

Might be right. I'm more worried about the mental aspect of his development rather than the technical. He seems like quite a meek character for someone so physically imposing. Doesn't seem like Drogba in terms of mentality.

It's weird how much "his" opinion coincides with yours.

He's been generally portrayed as incredibly hardworking and determined to get better in Belgian media. The type that never goes out partying and eats right and works out every day, etc.

Guest blueboy122

I really hope we don't put all our eggs in one basket with Lukaku.

I don't think he has any intentions of joining us to be honest so I wouldn't want us waiting round all summer hoping we can do a deal when he has no intention of joining us and then we ended up panic buying or loaning a dud from abroad.

Martinez looks like a shrewd guy so he must have other irons in the fire.

Guest blueboy122

The way Martinez talks about Lukaku you would think that Lukaku has said to him he wants to be here permanently but I just do believe that to be the case. I feel as if Lukaku thinks he is better than the club and has a divine right to play CL football because Chelsea bought him and he scored a few goals abroad in far inferior league to most in Europe by the way.

To be honest I think Roberto means what he says, but I also think he's "playing the game" as well. Putting out interest and saying he's ready to buy night drive off other people or force someone else to bid high and take him. Meanwhile maybe he knows he's not worth that and is just trying to make someone else take a dive.

I think well get a lot of business done early but still have some deadline day stuff happen.