IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

We couldn't afford to buy him before we'd qualified...

I actually think we have it you know... if it's £20m then we must have it. Anichebe, Jelavic, Fellaini = £40m.

I think we spent £24m on McCarthy, Lukaku loan, Kone, and Robles. Then there was extra money from previous windows i'm sure + TV money.

I actually think we have it you know... if it's £20m then we must have it. Anichebe, Jelavic, Fellaini = £40m.

I think we spent £24m on McCarthy, Lukaku loan, Kone, and Robles. Then there was extra money from previous windows i'm sure + TV money.

And if Lukaku will only sign with CL football? I really don't think we'll buy him before we're fully qualified.

We probably also wouldn't have to pay everything in one go. I'm sure we'd have enough to pay a first installment.

• 3 weeks later...

Yet a 1 in 2 game striker, 2 seasons running. People are paying 40m+ for players like that.

For a start, Bony has a better rate of return in a poorer performing side - 15 in 25 prem games Lukaku is 13 in 29 prem games. For me Bony is a superior all round player who would cost less.

Remy has 13 in 25 playing for an awful Newcastle team again would cost a lot less given his buy out clause.

Jay Rodriguez is another...

Goals aside these other players have better footballing ability.

I would go for Bony over Lukaku any day.

We talk about young potential but we have all forgotten the Owens and Rooneys. these guys were raw at 16... by 19 or 20m they were established players. Maybe not at thier peaks but they were first choice players.

Lukaku is not a first choice player... hes been loaned out.

Can i see him getting better? yes of course i can, but i cant see him becoming a Drogba. Drogba had footballing ability at 16 and got better. Lukaku has relied on his size and is not going to get any better. at his age he should have a better first touch, better ability on the ball and should be able to tie his own shoe laces.

Bony is all round a better footballer.

People are arguing the same about Jerry now and i have to agree with them. were not talking about a 17 year old breaking into proffesional football, were talking about a player that has had possibly the best tutorage you can get at Barca! he should be better by now.

At the same time there are a lot of late bloomers! players that didnt look much when they were teenagers or early twentys but then exploded in thier late twentys.

Its just should we take the risk or not?

Personally 15m would be worth it for me.

For a start, Bony has a better rate of return in a poorer performing side - 15 in 25 prem games Lukaku is 13 in 29 prem games. For me Bony is a superior all round player who would cost less.

Remy has 13 in 25 playing for an awful Newcastle team again would cost a lot less given his buy out clause.

Jay Rodriguez is another...

Goals aside these other players have better footballing ability.

Bony - 25

Remy - 27 (Linked with Bayern today apparently)

Rodriguez - 24

Lukaku - 20

Between 4-7 seasons of professional football between the others and Rom. Thats a hell of a lot of development. Lukaku is an investment and needs time to develop, this is clear. But this is his first season playing 90 minutes most games and he has looked a handful most of the time, plus hes been used as a target man in the last few months for some reason, which is not his forté. I know hes not perfect but people seem to be extremely short sighted and too quick to judge when it comes to him.

Edited by Matt

I dont think its shortsighted Matt. i think people are just discussing opinions. None of us know if he will turn out to be the real deal or not, we can only guess using what we can see at the moment.

I do think it is fair to say that he should have a better first touch at his age. This is something that a lot of players are born with while a few others suprise and bloom later.

I also read a comment from somone saying he chases down goal kicks etc. Yes he does but all he does is offer a token jog. he doesnt look like hes trying to make the keeper make a decision, just that he knows if he doesnt he get a bollicking from his boss.

Size...does he use it to his advantage? on occasion yes, but not nearly enough. Look at Matt Smith for Leeds. the guy is not a good footballer but uses his size to bully his way into a championship player position. Lukaku just doesnt use his strength. This i agree his something that you need time to develop.

Shooting.. well i dont think we can critisize him here. this is one of his better attributes.

Heading... pretty weak in this area for a big guy. again he will learn that being big means nothing when others jump. Big guy syndrome is common with footballers. at 5.8 i am by far the best ariel threat in our team.... ahem veteran team now.

Dribbling... mixed here. sometimes he looks like he can just push past players, sometimes he looks like he is going to stand on the ball and fall over. but generally this is another strength.

Intellegence... needs to watch Naismith more. this one is 100% his age and cant be judged fairly yet.

i dont think anyone questions if he is a good player or not, just is he worth the money it would cost us to bring him in and can we afford to progress a promising forward now or do we need a player that is already there.

My opinion on him would change dramatically if i saw the effort on the pitch. this is what makes players worth the time for me. I criticize Barkley for the same reason. Barkley and Lukaku need to pull thier feet back firmly to the ground and realise they are not there yet and that hard work and graft will go along way to helping them fulfill thier potential.

Bony - 25

Remy - 27 (Linked with Bayern today apparently)

Rodriguez - 24

Lukaku - 20

Between 4-7 seasons of professional football between the others and Rom. Thats a hell of a lot of development. Lukaku is an investment and needs time to develop, this is clear. But this is his first season playing 90 minutes most games and he has looked a handful most of the time, plus hes been used as a target man in the last few months for some reason, which is not his forté. I know hes not perfect but people seem to be extremely short sighted and too quick to judge when it comes to him.

To be honest Matt i've taken that into account. For me i've seen enough of Lukakus touch and control to see that he is not going to be able to play with his back to his man well enough - when marked tightly by a strong centre half he is a liability.

He can't get a ball under control tight enough to allow his physique to do the rest - he has to stretch and go off balance allowing the centre half the opportunity to muscle him off - compare that to suarez or aguero, far smaller strikers but their touch and control brings the ball within their body space allowing them to root their feet and use their bodies effectively, Mark Hughes and Dalglish were experts at this. I just don't think this is something he is going to master because he has always been so big he's never had to.... the same as expecting Peter Crouch to learn how to jump. Those motor skills have all but developed now.

Every time the ball comes at him he is almost on red alert to try and react to where the ball is going to bounce to - instead of bracing his body in anticipation that the ball is going to stick. Just can't see him improving a fundemental part of the game at the age of 20. You've either got it or haven't at that stage.

Maybe short sighted is a little strong.... It just seems that people dont want to spend money and take a chance on a youngster with massive potential. I understand the nerves about it, but personally I think he will be an incredible striker in a few years time. He just needs time to learn and improve on his weaker areas. I agree with your write up, Shukes, for the most part except heading. Hes not been given the service to really show what he can or cannot do on a regular basis

I completely disagree that you cannot improve your touch over time. Already we've seen this season how our passing rate has improved, and in order to improve your passing you need to have a good touch to either control the ball or move it on in the right direction.

Suarez - 27

Aguero - 25

Smith - 31

I bet they all came into their elements around 23 years old after honing their skills...

Like I said, I understand the caution behind splashing the cash on him, I just get irritated that some write him off because of a few flaws that can be, and will be, improved upon. Like I said a few pages back, 13-15m plus addons up to 18-20m would be good business in my eyes, and for Chelsea since they already got 3-5m for the loan.

Each to their own though :)

Edited by Matt

Ye i would agree with 13-15 and add ons. that way if potential is fulfilled then we pay what he was worth.

A lot of peoples opinions are coming from a really frustrating month where we could have really pushed on. But a number of our players didnt seem to put the effort in and Lukaku is one of them. Because he is a loan player he can be used as a scapegoat, lets face it were stuck with Ossie haha!

I also think that one of the reasons we criticize him is that we are nervous and in the dark as to the situation with him. Is he a gold digger and will only join us if we qualify for the champions league? Everton fans have never been forgiving when it comes to ultimatums and i dont think we ever will be. You either join us because you recognize you have been offered the chance to play for EFC or dont. we are and always will be bigger than the player.

Now if he came out and said " if offered a chance to sign for Everton i would be honoured and priveleged to play for such a club" then i would welcome the guy with open arms.

I am just not sure if he is being careful not to say too much because he is waiting to see what oppurtunitys are offered so he can pick and choose.

This one is going to chew us up for a while until it is sorted one way or the other!.

All he needs to do is grab a brace against City and a hat trick against Hull and i will be singing his praises!

To be perfectly honest I am quite shocked at how far behind the acceptable level Lukaku's close control actually is.

I think that his pace and goals detract peoples attention from how average it actually is. Some games he is ok-ish, when he is off it is embarrassing. I think against Southampton he may not have actually brought more than 5 passes under control, I was sat there with my head in my hands at times reminding myself that this man is actually saying he wants to be in the CL and Cheslea are hoping to get £20m+ for him...

If he did develop this skill to 7/10 level he may have a chance, its 5/10 for me.

Ye i would agree with 13-15 and add ons. that way if potential is fulfilled then we pay what he was worth.

A lot of peoples opinions are coming from a really frustrating month where we could have really pushed on. But a number of our players didnt seem to put the effort in and Lukaku is one of them. Because he is a loan player he can be used as a scapegoat, lets face it were stuck with Ossie haha!

I also think that one of the reasons we criticize him is that we are nervous and in the dark as to the situation with him. Is he a gold digger and will only join us if we qualify for the champions league? Everton fans have never been forgiving when it comes to ultimatums and i dont think we ever will be. You either join us because you recognize you have been offered the chance to play for EFC or dont. we are and always will be bigger than the player.

Now if he came out and said " if offered a chance to sign for Everton i would be honoured and priveleged to play for such a club" then i would welcome the guy with open arms.

I am just not sure if he is being careful not to say too much because he is waiting to see what oppurtunitys are offered so he can pick and choose.

This one is going to chew us up for a while until it is sorted one way or the other!.

All he needs to do is grab a brace against City and a hat trick against Hull and i will be singing his praises!

I think because some of the other players werent stepping up to supply him, he looks worse than he has been. Maybe he is being made a scapegoat, which is harsh and naive in my opinion.

When did he come out about staying if we got CL football, it was much earlier in the season wasnt it? I think during that time he has taken the club to heart. If he does want to move to a club playing CL football, can't say I would blame him at all.

If he does get a few goals against Hull and City, watch everyone want him as our marqué signing ;)

To be perfectly honest I am quite shocked at how far behind the acceptable level Lukaku's close control actually is.

I think that his pace and goals detract peoples attention from how average it actually is. Some games he is ok-ish, when he is off it is embarrassing. I think against Southampton he may not have actually brought more than 5 passes under control, I was sat there with my head in my hands at times reminding myself that this man is actually saying he wants to be in the CL and Cheslea are hoping to get £20m+ for him...

If he did develop this skill to 7/10 level he may have a chance, its 5/10 for me.

This was always my argument against the Yak, but people always told me "so what, hes scoring".

Cant judge him on Southampton, he got no service and dropped too deep to get the ball and the whole team was crap.

Still, looks like we wont agree, so I'll stop pushing and making excuses.

I think because some of the other players werent stepping up to supply him, he looks worse than he has been. Maybe he is being made a scapegoat, which is harsh and naive in my opinion.

When did he come out about staying if we got CL football, it was much earlier in the season wasnt it? I think during that time he has taken the club to heart. If he does want to move to a club playing CL football, can't say I would blame him at all.

If he does get a few goals against Hull and City, watch everyone want him as our marqué signing ;)

This was always my argument against the Yak, but people always told me "so what, hes scoring".

Cant judge him on Southampton, he got no service and dropped too deep to get the ball and the whole team was crap.

Still, looks like we wont agree, so I'll stop pushing and making excuses.

It isn't a Yak vs Lukaku debate - but in all honesty I would take a fully fit Yak that Moyes bought over Lukaku - absolutely no question.

Lets be honest this is a try before you buy... lets say you had £100k to buy a car, you went and had a Ferrari to test for a week, some days it felt great, others it felt pretty average and the dealer said "you need to put 10,000 miles on it till you get that great perfromance all the time", are you telling me you aren't going to have big doubts???

£20m isn't the sort of money you dump on a forward with a bad first touch in the hope that he gets better, £10m-£12m yeah and then you got to hope he does get some consistency because when he is off his game he is a sub waiting to happen.

It isn't a Yak vs Lukaku debate - but in all honesty I would take a fully fit Yak that Moyes bought over Lukaku - absolutely no question.

Lets be honest this is a try before you buy... lets say you had £100k to buy a car, you went and had a Ferrari to test for a week, some days it felt great, others it felt pretty average and the dealer said "you need to put 10,000 miles on it till you get that great perfromance all the time", are you telling me you aren't going to have big doubts???

£20m isn't the sort of money you dump on a forward with a bad first touch in the hope that he gets better, £10m-£12m yeah and then you got to hope he does get some consistency because when he is off his game he is a sub waiting to happen.

no, its the money I would spend on a 20yr 1 goal in 2 games striker since any other 1 in 2 striker will cost twice that

I chose the Yak because he was a goal scorer who did bugger all else. Lukaku is a much younger goal scorer who will only improve and has a better workrate.

I always respect your opinion, despite our near-constant disagreements, and I see where youre coming from. I just completely disagree :P

Edited by Matt

no, its the money I would spend on a 20yr 1 goal in 2 games striker since any other 1 in 2 striker will cost twice that

I chose the Yak because he was a goal scorer who did bugger all else. Lukaku is a much younger goal scorer who will only improve and has a better workrate.

I always respect your opinion, despite our near-constant disagreements, and I see where youre coming from. I just completely disagree :P

Disgareeing is good, this place would be boring otherwise!

I'm just worried about us buying Lukaku for that sort of money... got a bad feeling and really can see why Jose loaned him out...

For that money I would want to be buying Lallana - Liverpool will be very strong if they get him.

Disgareeing is good, this place would be boring otherwise!

I'm just worried about us buying Lukaku for that sort of money... got a bad feeling and really can see why Jose loaned him out...

For that money I would want to be buying Lallana - Liverpool will be very strong if they get him.

If we could get Lallana for that money I'd agree! But he will be going for more than 15-20m...

you both have very valid points for and against,the annoying thing about lukaku is when he's bad it's frustrating because you know he's got it in him to be very good.

The thing I don't understand is his fitness levels.

The thing is for all his faults he's still the best striker we've had in years.

He is very frustrating, but so is pretty much every player, especially the youngsters. In fact, only Stones hasnt frustrated me!

he tends to be a bit too casual at times but I'm sure he's going to be first choice next season.

true, but again thats a sign of youth. Gerry has it, Barkley has it, Lukaku has it. When they get more game time they will become more mature, and with it better players.

Great debate guys, ive agreed with all the points. For me I think Chelsea or Jose want rid of him as they don't think he is top quality. I think they are spot on. Lets face it with Lukaku's record he will command £20 million easily. Athletico will want a striker as part ex of the costa deal and maybe they will take Torres and Lukaku in exchange? I believe for Lukaku's career development he would do worse than going abroad maybe to a Juve and honing his game in a not as physical league and coming back to the Prem when he is 26 or so. I appreciate he is young and I have said it myself on here that he needs time to develop but for the money they want for him he lacks the fundamentals for what I think we need upfront.