IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

If it doesn't work out at least we have a bit of money to shop around. Personally I'd like Dzeko if Lukaku doesn't come off.

The problem we have is wage demands if we want a real top end goal scorer we have to raise the wage cap to around 100k per week!

Dzeko's 30 isn't he? If we don't or can't go for Lukaku we have to be looking at signing someone around Lukaku's age, someone who can get us goals for a long time. We already have Kone as the experienced striker.

I understand the point about him sometimes seeming disinterested or not giving his all. But I think it's important to understand his role. He is a poacher, a goal-scorer, and he can smell goals. His most two recent goals, to me, typify his approach. They are typical centre forward goals, where he threw himself in there and used his power to hit the net. Over time, he'll learn other aspects of his trade - just like Deulofeu is now learning how to defend. But you can't teach someone to smell goals; that's instinct.

I've noticed plenty of fans criticizing his recent performances and his touch in those games. Yet, I'm convinced he's actually played very well and shown a good touch and good linkup play in these games. I think he's been showing he can be more than a goal-scorer, so I've had a look at the 20 min highlights on the OS from the games against Fulham and Newcastle.

Against Fulham:

-he offers the sort of target man link up play on the counter attack I wanna see at 05:00.

-he shows very good feet and a strong body in a tight area to protect the ball at 06:00.

-at 11:35, again he showcases good touch, strength and agility.

-the most impressive play is at 16:57 though. Good first touch, turns the defender and puts Naismith through one on one with the keeper. This is the kind of thing I expect the striker to be able to do.

Of course he also adds those runs in behind. In those highlights he had gained separation from his defenders a couple of times where his team mates missed or ignored his runs and he also frees up space for Mirallas (on his goal) and Naismith (on his shot against the post) simply by the threat of him being slipped through on goal as the two centre backs are forced to play very very narrow to contain him.

Against Newcastle:

-at 02:25, good touch, turn and link up play.

-at 03:58, not linking up play, but still a very good first touch to get himself through on goal.

-at 10:32, good link up play.

-at 11:00, "lovely footwork". Immediately shows the desire to get into the box after that as well and he goes on to score. Saha would still have been in the centre circle :D

-at 17:15, fine link up play to get an assist.

He isn't a perfect player, but he's the same age as Barkley and I think he's being given less credit than him by the fans. I'd pay 20m for Ross if he was the one here on loan and I think Lukaku is the better player as of now so I would pay it for him too.

A lot of it comes down to the amount of money that we are talking. 20M to us is the equivalent of 40M for one of the financially backed teams. If you are going to pay that money you need to be sure that the investment is going to pay off.

He certainly seems to be getting back to his best since the injury. In hindsight the injury was probably a good thing as he was looking completely gassed before.

We all know that strikers are a premium so maybe 20M is a fair price since he has proven that he can score in the Premier league. What he hasn't done is show that he can play 90 mins consistently through a season, loss of form I can accept but it wasn't just a loss of form prior to the injury he was simply done and needed a break.

If RM wants to put down the money and believes he is the best option then I'll back him in the decision. A big plus is that he is already integrated into the team so maybe a percentage of the 20M is piece of mind. We know exactly what we are getting. Some of the players we have been linked with, yes they may be a hit but they could be a big miss.

I think the other part of it was some of the stuff he was saying about CL football. I'm sure every football wants to play CL football but not all can. It isn't a devine right, if he thinks it is then he is a Gooner in disguise.

Well, Benteke's out of the WC so he's in line for a lot of starts.

If we want him then we have to get it done before then.

Or hope he has a shit world cup! (as a side note, looking forward to watching Belgium, some real good players in this era).

Watching Lukaku recently, he seems much improved post injury. He seems to be able to trap, turn and/or give the ball on. Another one who seems to be hitting new heights just at the right time.

Guest Nikica

Mourinho thought he was being clever by loaning him out to you. As predicted it has come back to bite him - they could have did with a Lukaku in Paris the other night.

Anyway, the boy is class. £25m is steep but when you factor in age, potential and his current experience with your team it may be worth it. Chelsea must be lining up someone like Diego Costa if they're willing to part with Romelu.

I don't know why players view the CL as some type of silver bullet. Surely it's far more exciting to be part of building a lasting legacy, with all the hopes and dreams and camaraderie associated with that. This is why many of the world's most talented choose to take a risk working for a startup company, because the mood and atmosphere and sense of drive can fire you up far more than simply going to work for one the big established companies. And, when the have the added rich vein of history at Everton, you actually get the best of both worlds.

I don't know why players view the CL as some type of silver bullet. Surely it's far more exciting to be part of building a lasting legacy, with all the hopes and dreams and camaraderie associated with that. This is why many of the world's most talented choose to take a risk working for a startup company, because the mood and atmosphere and sense of drive can fire you up far more than simply going to work for one the big established companies. And, when the have the added rich vein of history at Everton, you actually get the best of both worlds.

Football isnt just a business though and players only have relatively short careers. Its all about winning trophies and medals

I bet if The Shite dont pull it off this year and Gerrard doesnt get to win a League winners medal he will always be wondering , what if ...?

I think we need to spend £20m+ on a striker. Obviously they need to be tried and tested. With Rom a near 1 in 2 ratio over 2 seasons in the premier league is very good. I think we need to do our best to sign him. Obviously having a plan B though.

I'm all for signing him. I know he's been on and off at times during the season but as others say, his goals ratio is pretty good and he's still young. One day he will be a class striker. Honestly think a 15 million bid would be accepted. Chelsea look like they're gonna get rid of Ba, Lukaku and Torres in the summer. Probably get t 8-10 million for Ba. I reckon 10 for Torres and 15 million for Lukaku. 35 million ish there for them. They'll sign one prolific world class striker (Falcao, Diego Costa maybe) and one other good 20 million striker and keep Eto'o as third choice. Selling the three should pay for one of them and they'll then use their remaining budget for the other one. Lukaku has no future me thinks.

Good game today. Really tried to get involved and was really made up when Naisy scored too.

He was knackered when he came off....at 20yo should he be able to be fitter?

Happy though.

Usually I'd say yes but yesterday he was asked to do a lot more work, a lot more running (with and without the ball).

Can we give Chelsea a "first offer" on Barkely and not tell them we will never sell him?

I'd go all out for this lad, Barry on a free and maybe Gerry on another year. The team is starting to find its rhythm and whilst I'm not proposing new faces, these 3 are instrumental in our new development.

Edited by Matt

The thing is, we'd have to get through the qualifier without him, and I don't fancy having to rely on Kone (even if I rated him) just coming back from a serious knee injury getting the job done.

If we sign him before Mid august then surely we wouldn't?