IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

His first touch isn't the greatest, but I think that a lot of the time it gets over played.

More recently he has played a lot with his back to goal being pressed by defenders and most strikers in the league are going to have issues controlling a ball under that type of pressure. It is a weakness in his game but he doesnt have too many more IMO.

He is quick, strong, makes very good runs, excellent finisher (and a first time finisher too), he can use both feet and he can take players on (Newcastle & Man City goals as examples). He is a good header-er of the ball from crosses (not very good from long balls forward strangely) and he is an intelligent footballer. I wouldnt say his decision making is great but its decent enough for a player his age.

I get what Steve_E says because if you look at his goals, a lot of them have come from counter attacks or at least where he has space to run into (City, Newcastle, West Ham (ish), Villa, Soton etc) and its under those circumstances that he is at his best.

A lot of the problems for him at the moment come from his team mates IMO. In previous games there have been oppurtunities for the ball to be played to him in space and they have tried a different ball. Even in the 20-ish mins he played in the derby I noted him standing in space on the edge of the box ready to receive a pass but no-one bothered (Pienaar & Barkley the main culprits). I think I saw this on 4 or 5 occasions and at least in two of those occasions when Pienaar had the ball, Lukaku would have had enough time to turn and shoot from 18-20 yards (Barkley had dragged Gerard away) but instead it went wide again. At the very least Lukaku would have been able to a through ball etc.

He hasnt been at his best recently, but at the same time I dont think his team mates, and to an extent his manager (WBA especially) have helped get the best out of him.

Guest blueboy122

Ross decision making at times isn't brilliant but that will come with experience. Ronaldo when he first joined united is a good example and then what he was when he left united.

Unfortunately Lukaku will have that touch for the rest of his career may improve slightly though.

He needs some lessons with Berbatov on touch of the ball.

Guest blueboy122

Well obviously Lukaku isn't a very good footballer. He's a sledgehammer, you know that. But does it work, yes or yes?

Exactly and nobody pays £20 million for a sledgehammer.

Exactly and nobody pays £20 million for a sledgehammer.

we paid 13m for Yak, who was nowhere near the player Lukaku is now (in my opinion).

Just to reiterate, I dont think we should be paying 20m upfront. I recognize theres a gamble because hes young, but I still maintain 15m + certain add-ons, which would only be paid if he fulfills his potential. For a 1 in 3 scorer, 15m is a decent starting price.

I don't get this idea that one particular skill can't be improved and has to be natural, when all the other skills can be improved.

The human body is much better than people seem to think. If he practices his touch it will improve, the same as any other skill in life.

we paid 13m for Yak, who was nowhere near the player Lukaku is now (in my opinion).

Just to reiterate, I dont think we should be paying 20m upfront. I recognize theres a gamble because hes young, but I still maintain 15m + certain add-ons, which would only be paid if he fulfills his potential. For a 1 in 3 scorer, 15m is a decent starting price.

I will totally disagree with that to be honest with you... When we bought Yak only Thierry Henry had scored more goals in the previous 4 years. Yak was a goalscorer, great control and could finish explosively with either foot.

Up till his inury the lad was a threat, a beast. Pity what happened.

I will totally disagree with that to be honest with you... When we bought Yak only Thierry Henry had scored more goals in the previous 4 years. Yak was a goalscorer, great control and could finish explosively with either foot.

Up till his inury the lad was a threat, a beast. Pity what happened.

He scored goals but did nothing else. Doesnt matter how he scored them, he scored them, because initially we played to his strengths (i.e. give him the ball in or around the box and bang!). But he was a lazy bugger, and dived far too much.

Guest blueboy122

So he's not quite reached the level of an Anichebe?!

Well judging from Anichebe's performance the other night against us.... No.

Showed Lukaku well and truly up. Did everything that Lukaku needs to do, held the ball for his team gave them a platform to build, turned player and ran at goal etc.

Well judging from Anichebe's performance the other night against us.... No.

Showed Lukaku well and truly up. Did everything that Lukaku needs to do, held the ball for his team gave them a platform to build, turned player and ran at goal etc.

You can't base a players ability on one game thats just stupid. Granted anichebe scored today and well done to him, but over the next 10 or so seasons Lukaku will score a lot more than double what Anichebe will.

Anichebe isnt a goal scorer, Lukaku is, and that's what we need.

20 mil is a lot, but lets not forget his age, he could be a toffee legend if we secure him, hopefully for £15m tops though!

It seems nearly every striker we've had in the last 10 years has had a great first 6 months for us. Then nothing, and nearly every striker who we've bought has been the 'one'.

On previous performances Lukkaku has great potential. He's young and we could do a lot worst then 15/20 mil on him.

So new manager, new style why not get someone who's gonna play for us for the next 5 years and other strkers and attacking midfielders play with/ for if he can get us 20 goals a season.

But clearly he has to really push us over the line this season now. Prove his quality.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blueboy122

Exaclty.

He seems to be making all the wrong noises rather than concentrating on learning his trade and getting the basics right.

Guest blueboy122

He thinks he's better than he is he's starting to piss me off.

How he can say he wants to play in the champions league etc and think he is good enough is beyond me.

He thinks he's better than he is he's starting to piss me off.

Same here. This keeps coming up and I don't understand why he feels the need to mouth off every now and again. From what I gather his goal this year was to prove he can play a whole 90 mins and I don't think he has managed that.

i wonder what mourinho thinks about lukaku now. before the season he gave him a chance and he blew it in the shootout. but then he played well for us scoring 9 goals, but now he's in a drought and still running his mouth. i can't see mou enjoying this type of player, he doesn't seem to like the outspoken players that much (ronaldo).

i wonder what mourinho thinks about lukaku now. before the season he gave him a chance and he blew it in the shootout. but then he played well for us scoring 9 goals, but now he's in a drought and still running his mouth. i can't see mou enjoying this type of player, he doesn't seem to like the outspoken players that much (ronaldo).

Rom specifically asked to go out on loan and I don't think mourinho would entirely base his decision on a missed penalty. Mourinho is making a regular point talking up the project and evolution of the team against the FFP. I'm sure Lukaku is a sellable asset compared to what he feels he needs in his team. I have no doubt that a team will pay in excess of 20M for him and when it becomes an auction we'll pull out. 15M max at the moment, anything over that and you are relying on Lukaku to fulfill his potential but that's all it is at this point…potential.

The lad has got right on my nerves to be honest. He can get lost. He's hasn't scored much at all of recent, is injured, gave the ball away cheaply for WBA's equaliser and he's talking about champions league???

Maybe he needs to look at Champs league players and how they control the ball etc.

Careful what you wish for then, you're all moaning (to which I agree to a degree) but Martinez wanted 'arrogance'. He wanted players who believe themselves, more than they are because if they do, they'll get better.

We know he's not the finished article. We knew it last year and last. Chelsea know it. It'll take time.

Martinez knew what he was getting himself into. You can all whinge about it but that's the way the squad's going.

Careful what you wish for then, you're all moaning (to which I agree to a degree) but Martinez wanted 'arrogance'. He wanted players who believe themselves, more than they are because if they do, they'll get better.

We know he's not the finished article. We knew it last year and last. Chelsea know it. It'll take time.

Martinez knew what he was getting himself into. You can all whinge about it but that's the way the squad's going.

I believe that arrogance is meant for the pitch, as in beating your opponent mentally - like a boxer, believing in yourself and showing the ability you have and the confidence to do it.

Not scoring in weeks, criticising the role you have been asked to play, supporting anelka, and basically talking about yourself as some sort of world class player is not arrogance, is called being deluded. I just wish he would shut up and let his game do the talking.