IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

When Baines got injured, Martinez said he saw it as a challange and was excited about the prospect of trying new things.Same perhaps with Lukaku.

Totally different prospect we had Oviedo Distin and at a push Garbutt with the first two being knowingly capable of stepping in and doing a job and goals are a far bigger concern and need for us right now.

I really don't like the possible prospect of starting with Naismith upfront he's a work horse and a decent enough player but far from being the man to lead us on to the possibility of European football and with Traore being an unproven quantity we really do need to bring someone in now.

Guest blueboy122

Wouldn't mind paying £5-£10 million for him but obviously that's not going to happen.

If we are spending £20 million on a striker the minimum requirement should be that the touch is that of £20 million pound player.

Lukaku has the touch of a conference north striker.

I'd be more comfortable paying something like £15m for Lukaku with anything up to another £7m in add-ons, but if Chelsea do decide to sell him then they'll be able to name their price and we won't be the only club interested in him.

I think some of the problem with Lukaku's recent form is that we're not supplying him with through balls to run onto - although he's not the first striker we've starved of that sort of supply - which is why I feel that we need to bring in a 'playmaker' type of midfielder who can spot and execute a through ball.

Edited by efc1111

liverpool got suarez for a little over 20m...no way should lukaku cost that..the only reason they want so much is cos they overpaid

agreed, he isn't worth what they paid for him even now, he's potentially worth what they paid - bit like us with Fellaini, he was £8m over the odds.

I cant believe some of this! 20m for a 20yr old with his potential is a good price. Was Rooney overpriced at 28m when he was 18? Apparently we didnt get enough for him :dry:

Yes, Roms 1st touch is poor, but that seems to be the only criticism. Strong, quite quick (for someone his size), works hard... Plus, keep in mind his role, he is not the holding forward/target man type player. He is a player, whos said himself, "give me the ball to run on to", and when he gets that, he can out muscle the best and tuck it away.

I said it before, 15m plus add-ons to 20-23m would be a good deal, considering where this kid can go. Hes been compared to Drogba for good reason, and remember Drogba was 25 when he made his debut in the league, with 16 goals in his first and second seasons apparently. Lukaku had 16 goals in his first season, 6 years younger, and already has 9 this season - all without cheating!

The lad is an investment, long term he can be one of the best. To write him off because of a poor touch is crazy talk, and if we get him, he and Barkley (whos absence has made a huge impact on how Lukaku plays - its no coincidence his dip in scoring coincides with Barkley injury) could make one of the most exciting attacking threats around.

Edited by Matt

Guest blueboy122

I cant believe some of this! 20m for a 20yr old with his potential is a good price. Was Rooney overpriced at 28m when he was 18? Apparently we didnt get enough for him :dry:

Yes, Roms 1st touch is poor, but that seems to be the only criticism. Strong, quite quick (for someone his size), works hard... Plus, keep in mind his role, he is not the holding forward/target man type player. He is a player, whos said himself, "give me the ball to run on to", and when he gets that, he can out muscle the best and tuck it away.

I said it before, 15m plus add-ons to 20-23m would be a good deal, considering where this kid can go. Hes been compared to Drogba for good reason, and remember Drogba was 25 when he made his debut in the league, with 16 goals in his first and second seasons apparently. Lukaku had 16 goals in his first season, 6 years younger, and already has 9 this season - all without cheating!

The lad is an investment, long term he can be one of the best. To write him off because of a poor touch is crazy talk, and if we get him, he and Barkley (whos absence has made a huge impact on how Lukaku plays - its no coincidence his dip in scoring coincides with Barkley injury) could make one of the most exciting attacking threats around.

I don't think he does enough to justify a £20 million price tag.

The foundation of any good player is a quality first touch.

Hate that ' give me the ball to run onto'

That's the easy part

I think we need to assess what his "potential" was viewed as.

For me the fact is he was a unit, quick, strong, tall and a decent finisher with a goal every other game in the belgian league. In other words he was unproven with great physical attributes.

Rooney was proven at international level, premiership level and was the most talented youngster in the league at 18, for me Rooney was worth £35m plus at that time. He had displayed the footballing ability, tenacity and goal scoring ability to boss the best centre halves in the league at such a young age. He wasn't potentially great, he was already there.

For me Lukaku is at tops a £15m striker, he may get better but unless his touch improves then i'm afraid he has a glass ceiling above his head that puts him in the "almost great" category.

Chelsea paid a bit of a premium on this "potential" but for me that potential isn't going to be realised as his touch is distinctly championship level.

I think sometimes goals can skew peoples appraisals of a player, he has scored some vital goals for us, but I have seen too many games where he struggles to make an impact also.

Guest blueboy122

For me the fact is he was a unit, quick, strong, tall and a decent finisher with a goal every other game in the belgian league. In other words he was unproven with great physical attributes.

Rooney was proven at international level, premiership level and was the most talented youngster in the league at 18, for me Rooney was worth £35m plus at that time. He had displayed the footballing ability, tenacity and goal scoring ability to boss the best centre halves in the league at such a young age. He wasn't potentially great, he was already there.

For me Lukaku is at tops a £15m striker, he may get better but unless his touch improves then i'm afraid he has a glass ceiling above his head that puts him in the "almost great" category.

Chelsea paid a bit of a premium on this "potential" but for me that potential isn't going to be realised as his touch is distinctly championship level.

I think sometimes goals can skew peoples appraisals of a player, he has scored some vital goals for us, but I have seen too many games where he struggles to make an impact also.

Spot on Haf. He will never be a top player unless he sorts that touch out.

There's no way he is going to get a game at Chelsea as I believe Jose doesn't rate him and he has already stated he doesn't believe in any of the strikers he has so is in the market for a top striker.

To be honest Haf I would be reluctant to spend £15 million on him

Spot on Haf. He will never be a top player unless he sorts that touch out.

There's no way he is going to get a game at Chelsea as I believe Jose doesn't rate him and he has already stated he doesn't believe in any of the strikers he has so is in the market for a top striker.

To be honest Haf I would be reluctant to spend £15 million on him

As a striker first touch is absolutely everything, it either needs to be a shot with first touch or the first touch needs to be so immediate that the second touch puts the player at an advantage over the keeper or centre half - literally fractions of a second make the difference at this level. This is why he likes the ball played in front of him, he lost the the ball by miscontrolling a pass against WBA and they went on to score... must improve 8 goals in 9 games papered over alot of cracks in his game.

...and a few bad touches can blind people, regardless of the many, many positives.

Rooney had 17 goals in 77 games at Everton, his first 2 full seasons in the first team (granted, he was a couple years younger). Lukaku has 26 in 58 and thats in 1.5 seasons. Yet hes worth less than half of the price you wouldve put on Rooney? :dont know:

End of the day, its each to their own, I just think people are being far too harsh on the guy...

As a striker first touch is absolutely everything, it either needs to be a shot with first touch or the first touch needs to be so immediate that the second touch puts the player at an advantage over the keeper or centre half - literally fractions of a second make the difference at this level. This is why he likes the ball played in front of him, he lost the the ball by miscontrolling a pass against WBA and they went on to score... must improve 8 goals in 9 games papered over alot of cracks in his game.

as a striker, scoring goals is absolutely everything, doesnt matter how its done.

because hes not being supplied to suit his strengths, which coincided with Barkley injury.

His strength being don't play to his weakness = don't pass the ball to him with players marking him?

Sorry but you may as well put him in the Altidore, Kenwyne Jones, Carroll, Cameron Jerome category if we are looking at him being a horses for courses type of player.

Watch the best strikers in the league (Suarez, Negredo, Rooney, RVP, Aguero, Giroud) their first touch takes them away from the defender and allows them to get a shot away immediately.

I appreciate the goals he has given us, but I'm not going to get carried away by him, he's far too rough round the edges.

Guest blueboy122

because hes not being supplied to suit his strengths, which coincided with Barkley injury.

He isn't a good enough to player to make his own chances is he. He offers nothing apart from when he's one on one. Steven Naismith is good in front of goal and in my opinion offers more than Lukaku has in the past few months at least Naismith wins headers and can control a ball. If we are spending a huge amount of money like 20 million I want a lot more accomplished player than Lukaku.

If we are going to be putting the ball through to our strikers all the time we could save a hell of a lot of money and buy someone who is a decent poacher like Jelly was or someone of that calibre.

£20 million is a huge price tag and a player with that price tag needs to offer more than a few goals when he gets put through one on one. What does he offer when he isn't scoring? Nothing.

We can't build attacks off him because he can't even do the basics, win headers, control the ball, hold the ball etc.the ball has got to stick with a striker end of story. May sound harsh but he is becoming more of a liability as he constantly loses the ball when we are coming forward constantly putting us on the back foot. It's not good enough

Guest blueboy122

His strength being don't play to his weakness = don't pass the ball to him with players marking him?

Sorry but you may as well put him in the Altidore, Kenwyne Jones, Carroll, Cameron Jerome category if we are looking at him being a horses for courses type of player.

Watch the best strikers in the league (Suarez, Negredo, Rooney, RVP, Aguero, Giroud) their first touch takes them away from the defender and allows them to get a shot away immediately.

I appreciate the goals he has given us, but I'm not going to get carried away by him, he's far too rough round the edges.

Agree again. Look at the top strikers there touch basically sets them up or takes them away from defender and creates space for themselves

The lad could have the touch of an elephant, but if he averages a goal every other game that puts him in an elite category in the Premier league. Not many players have that record, or the time to keep improving. Players who score one in three are well into the £15m bracket, he is better than that.

I cant believe I'm seeing him compared to Suarez because they got him for £20m. He wasn't the player then that he is now. He is up there with the worlds best now. It's crazy talk to compare them.

The lad could have the touch of an elephant, but if he averages a goal every other game that puts him in an elite category in the Premier league. Not many players have that record, or the time to keep improving. Players who score one in three are well into the £15m bracket, he is better than that.

I cant believe I'm seeing him compared to Suarez because they got him for £20m. He wasn't the player then that he is now. He is up there with the worlds best now. It's crazy talk to compare them.

suarez was a better all round player than lukaku is now and it was about the same price bein quoted