IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I believe that arrogance is meant for the pitch, as in beating your opponent mentally - like a boxer, believing in yourself and showing the ability you have and the confidence to do it.

Not scoring in weeks, criticising the role you have been asked to play, supporting anelka, and basically talking about yourself as some sort of world class player is not arrogance, is called being deluded. I just wish he would shut up and let his game do the talking.

Gotta agree with Haf here.

There is a big difference in believing in yourself and thinking you are better than everyone else. When you play in a team you also set yourself challeneges. for example a winger will look at his opposing full back and tell himself he is going to have a field day because he determined to win his individual battles. When that winger takes his foot of because he thinks the opposing player is inferior he ends up face in the dirt.

Lukaku has a smart mouth and ibviously believes in himself, he is an intellegent guy. Where he fails is putting it into practise. Everyone can have off days and bad spells. Jelly had one for a whole season, but i found myself willing him to score because he seemed to try so hard, almost to the point that it had the opposite effect. But i couldnt knock him for that.

With lukaku i watch him and he seems to accept he is not going to score sometimes and takes his foot off. That doesnt remind me of a player that believes he will score with his next shot.

I remember Drogba playing against us and hitting three shots virtually out of the stadium. i was still panicked everytime he recieved the ball. Next shot was a 35 yarder against the run of play that felt like a nail in the top of my head. You could see he didnt undertsand why the first three shots didnt go in...must have been a fluke that they ended up so far away. When he lined up the next shot he beleived it was going in.

So say between now and the end of the season Lukaku scores a few, nothing outrageous but he contributes to us getting CL football next season. Would we definately go for him?

For me it's all about price and as I said in my earlier post, we have no business in an auction. But otherwise I think it would be a thanks but no thanks, you go and chase your dream, we'll live it :)

So say between now and the end of the season Lukaku scores a few, nothing outrageous but he contributes to us getting CL football next season. Would we definately go for him?

For me it's all about price and as I said in my earlier post, we have no business in an auction. But otherwise I think it would be a thanks but no thanks, you go and chase your dream, we'll live it :)

last sentence is going to be a saying of mine haha! love that.

i may even put on my desktop!

Guest blueboy122

id let him go back and put a big bid in for dzeko!!!!!

What an absolute quality player he is.... His finishing is "magnificent" not only that but his all round game is complete.

Guest blueboy122

Never a £20m striker.

No where near.....

Wouldn't even pay 10 for him to be honest. He is starting to grind my gears not only in his poor play but also his constant talking to the media regarding Chelsea comebacks, CL football etc... Just shut it Romelu and go and sort your touch out.

I think our system is better suited to a striker who plays between the lines and is of a much smaller build than Lukaku. Someone who relies on technical ability rather than strength. The reason the shite are playing so well in a similar philosophy to ours is because of their strikers. Both (Sturridge and Suarez) are "nippy" relativley small players who look to get in behind but can also come deep and get involved in the build up as well.

Lukaku rather looks to get the ball into his feet and turn a man, or get played through. Unfortunately, i dont think he suits our play at all. Both sturridge and suarez can link up with the midfield because they wouldnt look too out of place playing there, similar to MIrallas with us. At times, Suarez and Sturridge can look as though they are playing in midfield and they build the play up together with sterling etc. I think thats the reason Naismith has been playing that role and has looked a lot better than he did. Because essentially, he is a midfielder but he has the ability to come deep if need be and link up with our midfield or be played through because he's got a bit of pace.

We need somone who can do that for us, obviously these players dont come cheap and im hoping Martinez has some spanish guy nobody has heard of lined up, but honestly? Lukaku just doesnt fit in to our style of play IMO. I'd maybe even go as far as to say maybe in the summer try and get Mirallas more adjusted to playing that role and being less selfish. If he could pass and know when to pass, he could be a brilliant player. Someone who can link up the play, run at people, score goals and get assists.

I just hope the striker we do buy in the summer is more of a Mirallas than a Lukaku.

It's obvious there is an option to buy at the end of the season. Martinez mentioned it was not allowed to be discussed in January.

Considering we have paid £3m for the loan. I think we should offer £12m.

Mourinho has spoken about making a profit on the young players currently out on loan, as they did with De Bruyne. I don't think they will entertain any bid under £20m to be honest. Possibly even 25, and somebody somewhere will pay it. But I agree with you that we should test the waters with a lower bid, no harm in trying. Maybe 12 up front with add ons that could give them another 5, spread out over 2 or 3 seasons based on appearances. Don't think it will happen, but can always hope

He's not worth anything near £15m at the moment. Blimey, I wish I was a 6ft 3 unit.

Let's get it right, Chelsea took a gamble on him at the fee they paid out. It hasnt worked. He's not the only option we have. They need to take a loss on him, he's on a good wage, and the overall package has cost them a lot.

Guest blueboy122

He's not worth anything near £15m at the moment. Blimey, I wish I was a 6ft 3 unit.

Let's get it right, Chelsea took a gamble on him at the fee they paid out. It hasnt worked. He's not the only option we have. They need to take a loss on him, he's on a good wage, and the overall package has cost them a lot.

Agreed they should be looking at a loss but somewhere someone will pay £25M for him

So you think Chelsea are going to let him go for less than £12m (that's what they paid). If other clubs get a sniff of anything like that price tag we won't be the only clubs bidding. It's going to be £15m minimum.

Guest blueboy122

So you think Chelsea are going to let him go for less than £12m (that's what they paid). If other clubs get a sniff of anything like that price tag we won't be the only clubs bidding. It's going to be £15m minimum.

Chelsea paid £18M-£20M didn't they?

I would still pay 20 for him. He's not on form but we know whatever capable of. We're just frustrated with him at the moment but he will get better and he will grow up.

If we have the chance we should grab him. Don't want to look back in Two seasons and wish we would have taken the gamble on the new Drogba.

Edited by Shukes

I would still pay 20 for him. He's not on form but we know whatever capable of. We're just frustrated with him at the moment but he will get better and he will grow up.

If we have the chance we should grab him. Don't want to look back in Two seasons and wish we would have taken the gamble on the new Drogba.

I agree. His potential is immense. It would be great to have a young talented striker grow with the youthful core of the team. I'd like for him to just be proving his ability on the pitch. The thing about all the talking is that he's actually pretty eloquent for a young footballer. I find all the frustration about his comments kind of funny from that perspective. We all seem to make fun of the lack of intelligence we notice from most players. The thing is, Lukaku is multilingual, and because of that, all sorts of media sources ask him questions. He didn't seek someone out to comment on Anelka, or write a blog post about it, he was asked. Interviewers at most venues, in most countries know he's an interesting character and know they'll get material out of him to write, or spin.

If he wanted to remain at Goodison and realize his potential with Everton, it could be awesome. He'd only get better, Martinez would make sure of that.

Completely agree Shukes. He's had a dry couple of months, but if anyone looks at his goal scoring record he is a £20m striker all day. If we could get him permanently I would be made up. The lad has quality. If they put him on the market for £20m they will not be short of buyers.